IGNORED

Looking for Bushtec Trailer Tire Options

Cowboy

I know that Bushtec sells replacement tires, however I was hoping that someone might have a option that they have used in the past.

Tire Size 3.00 X 16 6ply

I have 14,000 on the set now and will need a new set before my trip in September.

I replaced the bearings about 18,000 miles ago not sure if I will need them also.

Just thought that I would get a few thoughts.

Brian

When I needed to change my tires I found that Bushtec had changed their tires to ones without as strong of a sidewall. Some were switching to a Kenda tire. I was all set to do the same until I found this tire: http://www.cedarrapidstire.com/product/137809/heidenau-k31-vintage-3-00-16-front-rear-k3130016

It has a higher load rating than the Kenda. I've pulled them about 10,000 miles with no problems.

Dennis

I see that is a tube type tire. I assume you put a tube in it? I don't think the Bushtec tire is a tube type but have never changed one and don't even remember what the valve stem looks like. I also didn't know that they have changed to a different tire. That was the great thing about their original tires. The sidewalls were so strong that even flat you could get to a place to buy or get a new one sent in.

I see that is a tube type tire. I assume you put a tube in it? I don't think the Bushtec tire is a tube type but have never changed one and don't even remember what the valve stem looks like. I also didn't know that they have changed to a different tire. That was the great thing about their original tires. The sidewalls were so strong that even flat you could get to a place to buy or get a new one sent in.

Don, I am recalling this from a few years ago when I replaced my tires. My trailer is a 2002 model and has always had tubes. I always carry an extra tube with me. The original tires on my trailer were 8 or 10 ply tires with very stiff sidewalls. The were Bushtec branded tires and were sourced from a Korean or Chinese tire company. At that time, Bushtec lost that source and switched to a Kenda tire with a more standard 4 or 6 plies. And at that time Bushtec still wanted $120 or so per tire. That is why I shopped around found the Heidenau tire which is a German made tire. I just checked the Bushtec site and the tire price has been lowered to $69. Here is a quote from their web site with the tire description.

Description

This tire has the original Bushtec tread pattern. They are a non-directional Kenda tire. In comparison to past Bushtec tires, they have a considerably longer tread life.

OE tire for replacement on your Turbo, Turbo+2, Roadstar, Genesis, Quantum Sport, Quantum GL, Entourage or Tow Tow. NOTE: The Ultimate model requires a 2.50 x 16 tire as it cannot accommodate the 3.00 x 16 tire.

Due to variations in tread patterns between the tires offered and the tires you originally purchased, Bushtec recommends that you replace both tires. This also ensures a smooth ride and prolongs the life of the tires.

Edited by Midrsv

That's good info. I think my trailer is a 2012 or 2013. I will have to look at the tires and see what brand and etc. they are. They may very well have tubes, I've never had to change one. The trailer I have now came with the spare tire option and cover. Never had a need for one before but if they have gone to different tire, that may well have changed.

Dennis,

Thanks for the info. looks like I would rather have a German Made in lieu of China, Indonesian, maybe wrong but I love my German Made Products.

Don,

I have been fortunate not to need a tube but the trip in 2014 up to New England my trailer tires just gave up the tread in two days, Had to have them replaced on the road. I give Bushtec the credit it was 5 minutes before closing and UPS & FED-X had already ran. However the guy personally got the tires packaged and took them to a UPS Drop Box and I had them by lunch the next day. Only lost about 4 hours of riding time. The tires are softer than the first set and were made in Indonesia. Price was crazy high but thats what you get when you are on the road and do not have time to shop.

Not sure why the tires wore so quick, I carry a level with me and always check tire pressure twice a day. I also check the bearings and tire temps at each gas stop. That's how I noticed the tire wear.

Thanks again for your inputs. Have a great day!

so for grins I had to look up a conversion chart, as the old system 3.00x16 sure dont give you many hits. The new size or what we use now comes up with a 120/80x16. Morcycle super store has a Shinko 712 for $51. Speed H (130mph doubt you need that) a 551lb load.

• 2 years later...
I know that Bushtec sells replacement tires, however I was hoping that someone might have a option that they have used in the past.

Tire Size 3.00 X 16 6ply

I have 14,000 on the set now and will need a new set before my trip in September.

I replaced the bearings about 18,000 miles ago not sure if I will need them also.

Just thought that I would get a few thoughts.

Brian

Can you please tell what brand tires you've used and gotten 14K miles out of?

I'm fixing to take a trip to Alaska and i estimate 8K -10K miles round trip..

I'm looking for a trailer tire that will last me at least 12K miles.. I do own a Bushtec trailer that currently has Hidenau tires on with pretty good thread on them..