IGNORED

lesson learned after maintainance

Guest Jamsie

Guest Jamsie

When the side stand doesn't retract properly, it means the NUT on the seat forgot to remove the JACK ADAPTER:bang head:

Guest Jamsie

Rob , I have to place something about 2" thick under the side stand to enable the jack to slide under , there is not a lot of jack sticking out either side of the adapter ( 10mm max either side ). i am thinking of taking mine into work and adding some pieces to stop the bike from sliding sideways off the jack , dont forget to put tie downs from the crash bars to the jack, once the bike is upright DOUBLE CHECK it is sitting properly on the jack and wont slide off when you lift

Rob , I have to place something about 2" thick under the side stand to enable the jack to slide under , there is not a lot of jack sticking out either side of the adapter ( 10mm max either side ). i am thinking of taking mine into work and adding some pieces to stop the bike from sliding sideways off the jack , dont forget to put tie downs from the crash bars to the jack, once the bike is upright DOUBLE CHECK it is sitting properly on the jack and wont slide off when you lift

I don't think that's all that necessary. When you start to lift the jack contacts the tube closest to the floor and as you start to lift the bike it will start to center. You're right it would slide off if it lifted on both sides at the same time. Not the case here....

When the side stand doesn't retract properly, it means the NUT on the seat forgot to remove the JACK ADAPTER:bang head:

Good news, the bike should not of started, well mine didn't when I did that. I got some old cloth red streamers I put on it now when I put it under the bike.

IF you would of red the instructions, it said not to do that.......... LOL

I was thinking of having my powder coated bright orange.

It happens to the best minds, and those not to smart either, don't worry about it.

• 1 month later...
Guest Jamsie
I don't think that's all that necessary. When you start to lift the jack contacts the tube closest to the floor and as you start to lift the bike it will start to center. You're right it would slide off if it lifted on both sides at the same time. Not the case here....

I was refering to the adaptor sliding off the jack with the bike attatched , my apaptor is only about 40mm narrower than the jack

Usually if I know in advance I add what I call a safety bar to the adapter. It simply a 1 1/4x 1/8" flat stock bolted to the left side of the adapter. This then abutts up against the frame ensuring that the adapter is centered on the frame. I'll post a pic after I finish the one I'm building now.

Larry

Edited by Carbon_One
added & corrected info

The pads on my "old" lift are only 12" long which means it just fits under the adapter. Always worries me when I lift the bike and I usually triple check to make sure the lift pads are against the safety bar. I've since purchased a lift that has 17" pads and removed the safety bar.