IGNORED

GAS

Larry1963

My other bike is a 01 Victory V92C and my one complaint with it is it does not have a gas gage, it does have a gas light. Also there is no fuel reserve, when light comes on you need gas in 30 miles or less. Well with my RSV I was happy to get a gas gage, a fuel reserve switch, and the gage will tell you how many miles you have run since running low on gas and switching on the reserve.

The other day I was cruising down the back roads of South GA, when I started to sputter, I looked down and see that the gage said E 001, so without missing a beat I reached down and switched the tank to reserve and kept on the throttle. I know there was a gas station not 5 mile from me. Well I pulled in, filled 'The Baby" up with some good 90 ethanol free gas. Went in, got a Diet Mt. Dew, talked to the guy behind the counter about what, how great my Yamaha Venture was.

Got on the bike, reset the odometer and off I went. I wasn't far from home so I pulled in, well I have been riding in the mornings when I can. Well Tuesday I had a meeting about 20 miles away. I got on the bike and noticed I had less than a quarter tank of gas, I thought ahh it be ok, even if I run out I have the reserve. Well I took the backway and the long way. I was about 4 miles from my meeting when I seen the odometer goto E, Gas light on bright, I reached down and turned my gas switch in the opposite direction and the bike died...... I thought maybe I didn't get it all the way over. So coasting down the road I am trying for the life of me to get it in reserve but when I switch it in the position that I think is normal mode the bike starts to run again. To my surprise I never switched the gas switch back to normal mode. I ran out of gas about 2 miles from where I need to be.

On the plus side, there was a farmer and his son plowing a field right by the road. So when I pulled over they come over and asked if they could help me, I said sure like a dumbass I ran out of gas, farmer no problem walks to his truck and pulls out a big gas can, gives me about a gallon. He will not take any money, so he is looking at the bike and asking questions. I turn it on so he can hear how awesome it sounds. The father and son are looking the bike over and asking questions, then the farmer ask what is that gage for, he was pointing to the gas gage. Now mind you I am in coat and tie on my bike, well standing next to it. He looked at me, at the gage, then at his son, he then asked me, did you go to college, me: yes sir, farmer: do you have a degree, yes two BS and one Master degree. The farmer looks at his son, and says see I told you going to school doesn't make you smart. I guess he was thinking or at least I was, You just can't fix stupid.......

I filled up and went the short way home so I didn't have to pass that farm again.