IGNORED

Hot Riding and A/C

Condor

I just watched a video on another board about a Death Valley ride in 109° on a trike. Can't be fun. With these unusual heat waves we've been having out west there are several threads covering riding in the heat. Been there a couple of times and don't want to go back. This got me to thinking... They used to sell a patio system that misted water into the air, and it did drop the temps 10-15 degrees. I wonder if something like that could be adapted to the front fairing of a trike. Maybe a couple of nozzles, a small 12vdc pump, and a water supply mounted somewhere on the bike. It would put some moisture back in the air and and might even cool things off while running down the highway. Years ago while messing around I took a water hose and turned the flow down very low. Then I blew compressed air thru the stream and pointed it at the wife and kids. They thought it was great, and really cooled things down. But I digress. Wonder if it would work on a trike... or maybe even a 2 wheeler??? My 2¢

I have seen a system that was actual AC that mounted on the back seat and had hoses connected to blow the cold air thru a special vest. http://entrosys.com/

Back when we use to help out with some SCCA road race crews one of the guys had something similar. T-shirt with vinyl tubing that went to an igloo cooler bolted to the passenger floor that pumped cold water through the shirt. A few of the guys had radio headsets and he's be sitting in staging asking how everyone else was doing....cause it was getting a little chilly for him.

This is a topic discussed in excruciating detail within the Iron Butt community. The motorcycle AC unit was/is tested by Paul Pellund who has MS. Excess heat effects him terribly. This unit allowed him to ride and attempt to complete his 1 Million mile challenge (story for another thread). It worked but had some issues.

The general wisdom is to use evaporative cooling. I usually were long sleeve top and long tights in a dual layer wicking material (LD Comfort) as a base layer. Wet them thoroughly. Then put on my normal riding pants and jacket (FirstGear Kilimanjaro Jacket and overpants or FirstGear single piece riding suit) and CLOSE the vents. As I ride I put my sleeve (or leg) out into the airstream and fill the jacket (pants) with air. It creates quite the chilling effect. Good for about 1.5 hours per soaking.

In extreme circumstances, ice is your friend. Half a bag of ice dropped down into your riding suit takes care of you for a while.

The biggest issue though is dehydration. Riding all day in hot conditions will require almost a gallon of water. I have designed and installed a hydration system for my bike to use during Long Distance rallies.

Wear a jacket, not mesh. Full helmet. Hydrate.

RR

This is a topic discussed in excruciating detail within the Iron Butt community. The motorcycle AC unit was/is tested by Paul Pellund who has MS. Excess heat effects him terribly. This unit allowed him to ride and attempt to complete his 1 Million mile challenge (story for another thread). It worked but had some issues.

The general wisdom is to use evaporative cooling. I usually were long sleeve top and long tights in a dual layer wicking material (LD Comfort) as a base layer. Wet them thoroughly. Then put on my normal riding pants and jacket (FirstGear Kilimanjaro Jacket and overpants or FirstGear single piece riding suit) and CLOSE the vents. As I ride I put my sleeve (or leg) out into the airstream and fill the jacket (pants) with air. It creates quite the chilling effect. Good for about 1.5 hours per soaking.

In extreme circumstances, ice is your friend. Half a bag of ice dropped down into your riding suit takes care of you for a while.

The biggest issue though is dehydration. Riding all day in hot conditions will require almost a gallon of water. I have designed and installed a hydration system for my bike to use during Long Distance rallies.

Wear a jacket, not mesh. Full helmet. Hydrate.

RR

So you're saying that he had two misters mounted on the front of his fairing?? Interesting. Do you have a link to any article about it. I'd like to know more about his set up...

We all have different methods of keeping cool ad nauseum, but this is the first hint so far to a mist system.

OK I just did a search for something about Paul's cooling system. It seems to be refrigerant, not evaporative.

http://www.longhaulpaul.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Cooling-system-1-1024x895.jpg

Probably cost a lot more than a simple evap unit.... But for anyone interested here's his link http://www.longhaulpaul.com/2014/10/04/life-farkle-tester/

Edited by Condor

I use a mesh jacket and a cooling towel wrapped around my neck. If it's really hot I wet my shirt which will cool you fast! I also carry a cooler with ice and water,you can dip the towel in to keep it cool. This worked well for me last week on a trip when it was 95 to 101 every day