IGNORED

What's the difference?

videoarizona

I've talked to the "experts" in the stores about this question and get conflicting reports....so I thought I would come to the "real" brain trust....you guys and gals.

What is the differences between mesh, textile and leather garments?

I've read where leather is great to keep the hot air off of you but it doesn't really breathe or offer the ventilation needed. I have two leather jackets and they are great for cool or cold to keep the wind off...but little warmth...and I already have two mesh jackets that give some ventilation but the herat gets in as well...

Here's my reason: I live in an area where it gets a tad warm in the summer. I would like to keep riding...since once I get out of the desert...the higher elevation areas and mountains of Arizona have some really nice roads to ride on. Problem is...I can't stay up there forever and need to go back through the lower deserts to get home.

The heat bothers me more than ever at 68 years young. So what jacket would offer the best compromise between safety and being cool??? DO I spring for a textile jacket to try it out???

Also...what do you guys and gals prefer to wear in the heat? (maybe someone can do this as a survey/poll?)

TIA,

david

My understanding:

Leather - Made from an animal hide. Very durable.

Textile - A woven fabric of some sort.

Mesh - A very loose weave fabric where openings are left between adjacent threads.

I have leather and mesh gear. The leather is great when it's cold and it tends to shed water so I also wear it in the rain. It'll roast me alive if it's hot and dry, then I wear the mesh because it breathes better.

I have leather for cool weather, but my textile jacked does extreme heat as well as extreme cold (all be it bulky) better than the leather. I have a Tourmaster Air jacked and pants set, it comes with a windproof/waterproof liner as well as a thermal liner that zips in and out. With both liners I have been out in below freezing multiple times and reasonably comfortable, but the suite does get a little bulky. With just the wind liner I can easily do low 50's with a long sleeve shirt...then take out the liner completely and 100 deg heat in stop and go Chicago traffic is bearable as it keeps the sun off your skin but get a full breeze through the jacket.

My leather jacket has a mesh lining and 2 front zipper vents and 1 large rear zipper vent. I ride below freezing with the detachable thermal liner in place. When it get up to 90 degrees and beyond I open all the vents and direct the bike's air wings into my lap and I am comfortable as long as I don't have to sit still beyond the average stop light timing. I think the biggest advantage with a textile jacket would be weight and availability in lighter colors.

I have all three...leather, textile, and Tourmaster. I wear the Tourmaster 90% of the time.

With the Tourmaster, as mentioned you have one jacket for most of the climates - hot, cool, cold. I have the Air 3 and the newer Air 4. The Air 4 thermal liner is a vest only so I typically wear the Air 3 (with full sleeves) in cold weather. The rain liner is great for cooler days as well as rain. I can fit all three components of the jacket in a saddlebag. The Tourmaster outer is mostly mesh and lets the air flow thru.

Leather is too bulky but gives you the best protection if it is the proper motorcycle leather. Dress leather doesn't do you any good what-so-ever....trust me I know. In hot weather you'll be boiling in leather. Cool/cold is okay, especially with the thermal liner. You won't get any air thru leather and if it has "vents"...they don't usually vent much.

I find the textile to be the most useless lets say. It is somewhat bulky and allows no wind to go thru. It is more for cool/cold weather with the thermal liner.

I run Joe Rocket gear. Textile pants and jacket. Both have full removable armor with waterproof and windproof linings.This is what I use for spring and fall. Summer time I wear mesh jacket that also has a removable liner and armor. With that combo, i can deal with most weather and temps....

I have a leather jacket with quilted liner. Cant tell you the last time I wore it, or needed to here in Fla.

I also have a first gear I think textile jacket with a liner. Its a dang warm unit, have not worn it much either.

I have a Tourmaster Air jacket and use a freeze out liner for cold. When I bought the jacket it did not have a liner with it. But I use this and it came from Cycle Gear. There is one not to far from you in Tucson I think. Its worth a trip to check out what they have. The mesh you can pull the liner out and they are comfortable as long as your moving.

If you are still too warm with a mesh jacket, try an evaporative cooling vest. Soak it down and wear under the mesh jacket, as the water evaporates it will lower the temperature around your torso. I find that when it dries out it is usually about the time I need to stop anyway for a stretch break. We also use these: http://www.lowes.com/pd/Mission-Blue-Polyester-Cooling-Towel/50159263. Soaked down and worn with it pulled up over the head under our helmets it cools down the head and makes riding a lot easier.

If you are still too warm with a mesh jacket, try an evaporative cooling vest. Soak it down and wear under the mesh jacket, as the water evaporates it will lower the temperature around your torso. I find that when it dries out it is usually about the time I need to stop anyway for a stretch break. We also use these: http://www.lowes.com/pd/Mission-Blue-Polyester-Cooling-Towel/50159263. Soaked down and worn with it pulled up over the head under our helmets it cools down the head and makes riding a lot easier.
:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that: Forgot to mention that part. It works very well.

WOW!! Lots of opinions. And they all are good, and here's one more.. :) I have a leather jacket that I bought new at an auction and have never worn. Got the chaps too. Some big guy is going to get a great deal when I check out. They offer great protection when skidding down the highway, and in cold weather they are excellent. The reason for not wearing the leather's are they are so dang heavy, and when it gets cold I don't ride. I tried a FirstGear Mesh (eBay), and rode it in Nevada 'Hot' on the way to Ft Collins and back in '07. It did keep me cool, but wicked body moisture out of me like a sponge. When I got back home I pee'd orange for three days before going normal again. And yes I did hydrate, but 105° for 10hrs will getcha.... So I picked up a Textile... which is basically a fabric... I love it. I've ridden in high 90's, and down in the low 40's in complete comfort. The Jacket has zippered vents in the sleeves and in the back to keep air slowly moving when hot (Cody'11), and rides warm when it get's nippy with them closed (Bear Tooth). I personally don't know why anybody would wear anything else?? But.... that's just my opinion... :)

Over the years I have had various riding gear. What I have now fits ALL my riding needs. 4 full face helmets with 10 extra faceshields (always carry a smoked and clear with spare kept in old tube sock), 4 riding jackets, 3 riding (over) pants, 2 pair kevlar riding jeans (Sliders), 5 pair winter riding gloves (3 are waterproof, 1 pair heated) 1 pair winter glove liner, 14 pair riding gloves (2 are waterproof) 1 fleece lined motley tube (cold weather, can be worn 3, 4 different ways) 1 schampa fleece balaclava (also cold weather), 2 fleece pullovers (Cabela's) always have one on bike, 3 evaporative cooling vest (1 is short sleeve), 4 Silky comfort helmet) liner (keeps my helmets from smelling like my boots), 4 pair riding boots (2 are waterproof, 1 with Thinsulate), 1 polypropylene long underwear, 2 pair wolverine wool socks, 2 pair silk liner socks, 6 pair of seamless riding shorts, 1 pair Frogg Toggs (for that all day in the rain ride ps. they melt when touched to hot exhaust pipe). Tobe honest didn't know for sure what I had till I started this note.

Heavy leather riding jacket. I bought this in northern Michigan a few years ago. Just couldn't pass up a great deal on it. Traditional looking - has the flap that snaps over the zipper. Came with leather balaclava that snaps inside below the neck, snap in quilt liner, sleeve vents, chest vents, 2 rear vents, all with waterproof zippers. Have ridden in 22°F with no problems.

Three season 3/4 length Tourmaster riding jacket with armor and riding pants with armor. Both have quilted zip-out linings. The pants have huge zip-off panels leaving a mesh riding pant. The jacket has one huge horizontal vent (shoulder to shoulder) across the back. The front has 6 zippered vents, 2 sleeves, 4 chest. Has a velcro flap in the front to cover the zipper. Both are waterproof. This is my long distance gear for fall, winter, early spring.

JoeRocket jacket (Epic?) (can't find label on it) with riding pants. Both with armor (pads really). Both have zip-off outer shells making them mesh riding gear. Both also have zip-out quilt and zip-out waterproof liners. I haven't used the waterproof liners in years. They are non-breathable and leave you soaked in your own perspiration if left in for any length of time.

JoeRocket Phoenix 4 mesh jacket with armor and zip-out waterproof/warm wind breaker liner. My main jacket for summer riding and on really hot days I put it on over my evaporative cool vests. My summer riding pant is Sliders (kevlar lined) but still warmer then jeans as the kevlar doesn't breathe much.

JoeRocket Phoenix 4 mesh jacket with armor and zip-out waterproof/warm wind breaker liner. My main jacket for summer riding and on really hot days I put it on over my evaporative cool vests. My summer riding pant is Sliders (kevlar lined) but still warmer then jeans as the kevlar doesn't breathe much.

LOVE DIS POST.....:clap2::clap2::thumbsup2::smile5::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon:

I haven't had any experience with leather or mesh yet, but plan to change at least one of those come time for the cold. I have a Speed & Strengh textile jacket. Supposedly it's "water resistant" but I haven't tested that without rain gear. It has a removable cold weather liner (only issue is it doesn't cover the sleeves. Flannel shirt does just fine to fix that though) back, shoulder and elbow armor, and it has sleeve and back vents. It's a bit toasty in very hot weather if I'm in town but it's alright on the highway. The only time I've had to throw a coat over it was when it was around ten degrees out. It has served me well. My only complaint is I wish the dang thing had more vents, especially in the chest area. You wouldn't catch me riding to a really hot climate without something offering more airflow though.

Fantastic info! Thanks to you all. Guess I'm in the ball park with my two mesh and two leather jackets!

Will keep eye out for a Tourmaster to try out. See if it's any better for breathing.

I think most of my problem is age related. Don't think my built-in cooling system is working like it used to. Five years ago I rode around Phoenix n summer heat. Now anything over 90 is hard for me....

I have to agree with you on the aging part. I don't tolerate the heat as well either. Being in the dry heat (AZ) you might try an evaporative cool vest. They work better in drier climates like "out west", not so much in the gulf states where the humidity is much higher. I have the one with the zip off sleeves but leave the sleeves on when really hot out. Lot of skin that can aid in cooling on your arms. I wear mine under a mesh riding jacket. Some vests claim the inside liner keeps you dry from the vest - it's a lie. Heck you submerge the thing in a sink full of water for it absorb as much as it can, the special fiber swells and can hold like a zillion times it's size/weight with water. It's gonna get wet! I can't ride in the Texas summer heat without it. Yea it's wet when you put it on but you forget about it in a few minutes. Mine will last about 4hrs, I carry a BIG zip-lock bag to put it in and "recharge" it with clean/pure bottled water, drinking fountain, mens room sink. (Reason I say this is a riding buddy recharged his at a gulf course sprinkler, only to find they used "brown" water :-( I usually charge (resoak) it once during an all day ride. I've had to take it off in the evening as it got too cool. They run about $80. I have several. I also have one that uses the "little beads" that swell with water, they do last longer. But it's kinda like wearing an old kapok life vest. I also wear my helmet, it's like wearing a styrofoam cooler, the hottest it's gonna get is 98.6 not the 104°+ like the outside air. I also wear a large bandana around my neck. I don't soak it but suppose I could but it would dry out within 10 minutes, but because summer mesh riding jackets DO NOT have collars! and you can sunburn you neck!

The night before I put two bottles of water in the freezer and one in the fridge. I put all three in and insulated soft lunch bag. I wrap a washcloth around one of the frozen bottles (great for wiping off your face) I also carry a washcloth in the mesh riding jacket pocket for the same reason, they work way better than a handkerchief. As the bottled water thaws I have cold water to drink all day long.

But I must say my favorite chill-down drink is a rootbeer float. And there ain't any little town in Texas without a DQ!

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/aharbi/Motorcycle/IMG_0275.jpg

Is any of your mesh gear made of metal mesh at all? Stainless steel like this - http://www.bwire.com

Leather is absolutely the way to go in the winter - I find that when I wear it in the summer, the heat is unbearable.

Mesh absolutely breathes better, but I was curious about the metal mesh - I made a prototype of the stuff, and I was expecting it to be heavy, but it really was quite pleasant to wear. I will have to do some more testing, but the main problem I have run into is the flexibility. I am starting to think that my best bet for a more flexible mesh would be a mesh that has a smaller opening.

I think the metal wire mesh may be a nice hybrid between the textile and the nylon mesh....

Has anyone else tried metal mesh gear?

I tend to ride in Carhart full coveralls in the winter over multiple layers and jeans w/heavy "Tee" shirts in both long and short sleeves in the summer. I always have a light windbreaker type jacket with me for the night cooldowns but I prefer to ride during the night rather than the heat of the day when the temps push 95+. One of the biggest problems I have is my feet get hot as I always wear steel toe boots or tennis shoes.

No metal mesh for me in any of my gear. But with everything that I have, it still seems to be to hot as I ride in full jacket, boots, gloves, etc., even in summer Arizona heat.

Going to try two things: A wet vest and maybe a pair of those abrasion resistant underwear. They seem to be well liked from reading testimonials....

http://ldcomfort.com/

or

https://www.bohn-armor-pants.com/catalog/