IGNORED

Lower wind deflectors

Many of you have seen us discuss the brackets for the lower wind deflector but I replace mine yesterday with some polished stainless ones and this is what I found when I removed the old ones. This is very common and something that you need to pay attention to. They were like this on both sides and no doubt I would have eventually lost them as I did before on my '99. This came off a 2005 model with just over 19,000 miles on it. One of the first things that I checked when I bought the bike was the rubber bumpers and sure enough, they were missing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]105415[/ATTACH]

Now if yours are not yet cracked, you need to make sure that the rubber bumpers are there and that they are touching your fork covers. That will prevent them from vibrating and eventually cracking. If they are not touching, you can simply bend the brackets back until they do. If you have one or both missing, here is an easy fix. I did this on mine just after buying it but it was obviously too late. This cheap and easy fix can be done in just a few minutes. Go to your local hardware store and pick up two rubber expansion nuts. These are the rubber expansion nuts with what looks like a brass threaded insert. Not sure what the insert is made of but it's not important. I don't remember for sure but I think that this one was about 3/4 inch long. You will need to remove the bottom screw that mounts the plastic to the bracket. Looses the top screw. That will allow you to pivot the plastic deflector to the side and insert the screw into the expansion nut. Tight and you are done. Very easy fix.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]105416[/ATTACH]

bracket.JPG

bumper.JPG