IGNORED

Cruise control not working

So this is a new problem for me.. everything was working fine a few weeks ago. Now the cruise won't stay on at all. I rock the switch to on and the dash lights show up for about 2 seconds then go out. If I turn the switch off and back on they do the same thing.. No idea where to start looking..

Easy test on the levers... push forward on them (one at a time so you can operate the cruise) and see if racts better.

Other than that....it's been mentioned that the cruise works on vacuum. Possible you have a kink in the vacuum line that connects to the cruise? You have been inside the fairing a fair bit (possibly lowers?).

Other than that....add more chrome, LED tail ights....and problem will go away. Shiny stuff never hurts !

• 1 month later...

I bought a 2005 RSTD a couple of weeks ago and it has exactly the same cruise control symptoms that you've given. Have you been able to resolve this issue? If so, what magical touch did you use?

I also had a problem with RSV cruise. Indicator lights are supposed to flash trouble codes or if a light remains on then it means something. All the service manual tests and procedures were not helpful. When all was said and done, mine was a combination of foot brake switch adjustment and failed compressor.

Well this is sort of embarrassing.. but I have no idea what happened and it is working fine now.. I do know I need to lubricate the throttle cables and linkages because once in awhile I need to sort of nudge it or help it along a bit..

• 6 months later...

Since I'm the one who originally started this thread, I guess I better share as to how the cruise control issue was settled.

Since I'm a "newbie" to motorcycle riding I didn't dare to attempt anything mechanical on my own so I took my RSTD to the shop where it was found that a cracked vacuum actuator was the initial culprit. Once replaced the cruise control continued to not set, even when riding at the manufacturer's recommended speed of 50+ in 5th gear. Further investigation found that the engine was lacking insufficient power to feed the vacuum actuator. Subsequently all four carb float heights were adjusted following the replacement of 4 needle valve sets.

Once out of the shop, the difference on the road was very noticeable and the cruise control works like a "charm". I hope my experience benefits other 2005 RSTD owners.