IGNORED

84 venture parts interchange with 87 venture parts?

Do engine/ transmissions interchange with a 84 to an 87? How about body panels? I have an opportunity to pick up an 87 that is currently not running. Not sure yet of the actual condition yet. I think $500 to $700 may be a good price???? Thoughts??

TCI is interchangeable for '84 and '87, there is a very minute difference in the ignition response curve I've been told between the 1200 and 1300's but it is completely unnoticeable! the '83 is incompatible with '84 on up due to the vacuum advance being 180 degrees out of phase.

Nice thing about the MK2 is the improved brakes, 4 piston as opposed to 2 piston! The difference being the bolt mounting space, 87mm on MK1 and 100mm (more standard, you can use Yamaha R1/R6 calipers) on the MK2. You have to switch out the forks, or at least the fork bottoms in the front, and the caliper mounting bracket, and the swing arm or at least the caliper mounting bracket pivot bolt on the MK1 swing arm.

The MK2 headlight will fit the MK1 but you have to change out the upper fairing center support frame and the bottom bracket that holds the 2 upper fairing pieces together in the front. If you want to use the bigger saddlebags you have to swap out the rear frame piece. For the larger trunk you need the '87 trunk frame and antenna bracket. All that stuff is direct bolt on, the main frame is exactly the same!

If you convert the front forks you have to use the EAD (Electronic Anti-Dive) and hook up the circuitry, which is just a relay triggered by the brake lights to engage the solenoids. Or, you can either just put Progressive brand front springs in (may as well rebuild the front forks while they are off the bike) and either leave the anti dive solenoids disconnected, or buy the blanking plates from Earl (Skydoc_17) and leave the EAD's off. I hooked mine up even with the Progressives, personal preference...

What you pay for the '87 is going to depend on a lot of factors!! Obviously, not running puts it in "Junk parts bike" category. A lot depends on the overall condition and I'll bet you dollars to donuts it's been neglected, dirty and rusty/corroded!! Now, stripped down and with the parts cleaned up, selling the parts on Ebay will get you a thousand dollars or more EVENTUALLY but that's a LOT of work!! Realistically, myself I wouldn't pay much over $300, preferably even less, but depending on condition it may be worth up to $500. $700 is totally out of the question, waaay too much time and money involved to get running and cleaned up to resell!! The cost of the parts you may or may not be looking for for your "84 would most likely be less if purchased separately! Remember, the current owner obviously does not care about the bike and to him it is a piece of junk he wants to get rid of!!! He, being human, wants to get you to pay as much as he can get out of you hoping to recoup at least some of the money he originally paid for it! If he bought it as a basket case project for a lot of money, and put even more money into it, that's his tough luck, not yours! If he bought it running, and got some use out of it until it died, then fine, he got his money out it in riding time! Motorcycles, just like cars, are a money pit and they loose money just being parked!!

84 is Mk1, 87 is Mk2 which began in 86 and introduced refinements and upgrades. Most things are interchangeable. Most things are directly interchangeable; that is to say just install it and most of these things are pretty obvious. Some of the other things also require other related items be replaced as well in order to facilitate the installation. For instance Mk2 front brake calipers are different and mount differently. Therefore, in order to use Mk2 front brake calipers on Mk1 you would need to also use the Mk2 forks (or at least the lower fork tubes) and also the anti-dive units and the rotors.

The clutch is a similar example, as well as the luggage and some of the fairings/body panels.

The TCI has different part numbers but I think they may be interchangeable from 84 to about 89. I'm not 100% sure. I think the main change took place around 90.

So, you see, the answered to your question is "Yes, kinda, sorta, mostly."

My main concern is the second gear problem. My 84 at 30,000 miles is not showing any signs yet. It seems like that will not happen till about 60,000 miles plus or minus...... Condition of my 84 is for a 32 year old bike is great. So if this 87 having 65,000 miles is not so good looking but is complete, does that give me a replacement transmission?

The ratiios are somewhat different, most noticeable in 2nd! They are interchangeable, but if you are going to go that far, then why not just replace the thrust washer and save the money buying the parts bike?? That's the only thing wrong with the '83, '84, and early '85, the material was to soft! It's like a $3.00 part, but you have to split the engine to get to it...

Yes Heather, I think it was '90 when they went from 2 pickup coils to 1 pickup coil. The '83 only works with an '83 unless you want to change where the vacuum is picked up for the advance, from the carb or from the manifold, they are exactly opposite of each other. There is an ever so slight difference also in the MK1 (1200) and the MK2 (1300) on the advance curve, probably related to the differences in the gear ratios but you will never ever notice the difference other than the part numbers!!

PS there were several MK1's that had the thrust washer replaced under warranty!! There is some kind of marking that tells if it was done or not, punchmarks but I'm not sure where. I think Prairiehammer has that answer...

The ratiios are somewhat different, most noticeable in 2nd! They are interchangeable, but if you are going to go that far, then why not just replace the thrust washer and save the money buying the parts bike?? That's the only thing wrong with the '83, '84, and early '85, the material was to soft! It's like a $3.00 part, but you have to split the engine to get to it...

Yes Heather, I think it was '90 when they went from 2 pickup coils to 1 pickup coil. The '83 only works with an '83 unless you want to change where the vacuum is picked up for the advance, from the carb or from the manifold, they are exactly opposite of each other. There is an ever so slight difference also in the MK1 (1200) and the MK2 (1300) on the advance curve, probably related to the differences in the gear ratios but you will never ever notice the difference other than the part numbers!!

PS there were several MK1's that had the thrust washer replaced under warranty!! There is some kind of marking that tells if it was done or not, punchmarks but I'm not sure where. I think Prairiehammer has that answer...

I believe the gear ratio differences are between 1st and 2nd Gens, not between Mk1 & 2. There are improvements in the later transmissions but I don't think it is gear ratio.

The thrust washer that is at fault is about $20.00 now. I spent $290.00 +/- for all of the seals, cir clips, o-rings yada, yada, yada plus $75.00 for a used transmission and SEVERAL hundred on tools and equipment. I think I have about a grand in redoing 2nd and upgrading my M/C shop/garage.

I think that marking is a punch mark on the top of the middle gear housing.

Yes, if I am going that far I only makes sense to just buy new parts, would need to get gaskets and seals anyway. I really don't need a complete parts bike.

I also found out yesterday the guy wants $1000 for it.......I understand it is in good shape though, still a lot for a non running bike.

thank you for the information....... I have learned a lot from this forum, there is a ton of knowledge here!

According to the parts breakdown the gears are all the same. Here is the 2nd gear pinion on Partzilla

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/yamaha/YP-26H-17121-00-00.html

It shows all of the bikes it's used on.

Then I stand corrected!! Ya just can't trust what some people tell you, can you?!!? So now I'm wondering why 2nd gear seems to grab stronger on a MK1 vs a MK2? At least it felt that way on the MK2 I drove once to compare differences between the two...

Yes, if I am going that far I only makes sense to just buy new parts, would need to get gaskets and seals anyway. I really don't need a complete parts bike.

I also found out yesterday the guy wants $1000 for it.......I understand it is in good shape though, still a lot for a non running bike.

thank you for the information....... I have learned a lot from this forum, there is a ton of knowledge here!

Seems too pricey for a non-runner, unless it's a super-simple fix. I'd let him keep it for that kind of money. JMO.

Then I stand corrected!! So now I'm wondering why 2nd gear seems to grab stronger on a MK1 vs a MK2? At least it felt that way on the MK2 I drove once to compare differences between the two...

The MK2 is heavier and could make a difference in the 2nd gear performance

Hmmm, good point Gary! I know it is not from the different TCI's as I have had both MK1 and MK2 units in the bike with no noticeable difference in performance. I also know the HP specs for the 1200 vs the 1300, the 1200 had a couple HP more than the 1300 but very little difference so you would think the bigger displacement engine would have more bottom end torque! I mean there was not any night and day difference in the feel of the MK1 vs the MK2 with the exception of how 2nd gear, it felt more of a "pop a wheelie" sensation with the MK1. Of course maybe at the time my bike was running better than my buddy's MK2 or something...

Now 1st gen vs 2nd gen, night and day difference! downshift into 2nd gear and twist the throttle on a 2nd gen, lotta noise but much less actual acceleration!! Ended up running a red light finding out about that when I first got the '09!