IGNORED

STR-4XY62-03-00 Trunk wing/light wiring

Can anyone point me to the thread on wiring up the "OEM" trunk wing/light?

I know it's in the forum SOMEWHERE......cause I read it here 150 years ago. (Well, OK, a COUPLE of years ago!)

I seem to remember there are at least two ways to connect this baby (other than the way mine is now.....with all three(?) wires dangling in space under my seat.)

One way has the light function as just a running light, the other makes it work with the brake. (I think there might be a little resistor involved on the end of one of the wires for THAT set-up.)

Anyone? Anyone?

Thanks, guys. I promise to bookmark it this time!

Mike

• 3 years later...
Guest divey
Rather than using that mickey mouse set up in the picture to connect the wires, I would use one of these. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/photopost/showproduct.php?product=4&title=aux-lighting-harness-for-2nd-gen-venture&cat=18

But that is just me.:whistling:

Steve this thread is a bit old but the link to your harness is no longer valid. I too need to wire my trunk wing and the instructions with the unit work fine for taillight only, but not brake light. Does your harness ensure the brake light will activate as well as the taillight on the wing? If so I’ll send you a PM to order one. Thank you. Doug

Steve this thread is a bit old but the link to your harness is no longer valid. I too need to wire my trunk wing and the instructions with the unit work fine for taillight only, but not brake light. Does your harness ensure the brake light will activate as well as the taillight on the wing? If so I’ll send you a PM to order one. Thank you. Doug

OK I fixed the link, in my original post.

Yes my breakout harness will ensure brake and tail light functions, as long as the lights in the wing have both functions.

Doug, included your mailing address in the PM and I will get one right out to you.

Guest divey
OK I fixed the link, in my original post.

Yes my breakout harness will ensure brake and tail light functions, as long as the lights in the wing have both functions.

Doug, included your mailing address in the PM and I will get one right out to you.

Steve I just sent you a PM. Thanks....Doug

• 2 weeks later...
Guest divey
Can anyone point me to the thread on wiring up the "OEM" trunk wing/light?

I know it's in the forum SOMEWHERE......cause I read it here 150 years ago. (Well, OK, a COUPLE of years ago!)

I seem to remember there are at least two ways to connect this baby (other than the way mine is now.....with all three(?) wires dangling in space under my seat.)

One way has the light function as just a running light, the other makes it work with the brake. (I think there might be a little resistor involved on the end of one of the wires for THAT set-up.)

Anyone? Anyone?

Thanks, guys. I promise to bookmark it this time!

Mike

Mike I realize this thread is a bit old but were you able to figure out the wing connections so that the brake light would come on? I've just tried hooking mine up (new wing light Yamaha OEM) as per the instructions and the light comes on fine but not the brake light. The instructions and connections are as follows:

Red and orange spliced into the red coming from the wing. The spliced red has a resistor on it. Instructions have the red going to the brake wire (yellow) and the orange going to the running light wire (blue). Black to black for ground.

Connections all appear to be sound. What am I missing here? Anyone??

Thanks....Doug

IMG_6500.jpg

Those instruction sound backwards to me, if I am understanding what I read.

The tail light power should go through the resistor to dim it slightly.

The brake power should go directly to the LEDs on the wing so they light up at full power.

If the brake power goes through the resistor then you will never see it, because the tail light is over powering it.

Guest divey

The brake power should go directly to the LEDs on the wing so they light up at full power.

If the brake power goes through the resistor then you will never see it, because the tail light is over powering it.

Thanks Steve. I’ll try hooking up the brake wire to running light wire on the bike and vice versa. Doug

Mike I realize this thread is a bit old but were you able to figure out the wing connections so that the brake light would come on? I've just tried hooking mine up (new wing light Yamaha OEM) as per the instructions and the light comes on fine but not the brake light. The instructions and connections are as follows:

Red and orange spliced into the red coming from the wing. The spliced red has a resistor on it. Instructions have the red going to the brake wire (yellow) and the orange going to the running light wire (blue). Black to black for ground.

Connections all appear to be sound. What am I missing here? Anyone??

Thanks....Doug

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=117155

I have to admit I haven't "gotten around" to working on this project yet......but, as I remember the old post (from the way-back machine....LOL) I believe the resistor was the "end of the chain".

That is, I THINK the resistor actually swung in the breeze......was only connected on ONE SIDE....and the OTHER side was not attached to ANYTHING.

I think it was Freebird who sent me the original wiring diagram/instructions.....so maybe I can count on him to jump in here, to "confirm or deny". :-)

Guest divey
I have to admit I haven't "gotten around" to working on this project yet......but, as I remember the old post (from the way-back machine....LOL) I believe the resistor was the "end of the chain".

That is, I THINK the resistor actually swung in the breeze......was only connected on ONE SIDE....and the OTHER side was not attached to ANYTHING.

I think it was Freebird who sent me the original wiring diagram/instructions.....so maybe I can count on him to jump in here, to "confirm or deny". :-)

Mike, see Steve’s reply above. He thinks the instructions might be incorrect (their wires might be crossed as it were). I’m going to try connecting the brake wire to the tail light wire and vice versa and see if that is the fix. I’ll post my results. Doug

Guest divey

Many thanks Steve for your observation on this. In fact the instruction sheet that comes with the wing light from Yamaha is incorrect (same instruction sheet that @Freebird posted in this thread a couple years ago). Instructions say Red from wing to Yellow on bike, Orange from wing to Blue on bike, Black to Black. Correct instructions should be Red from wing to Blue on bike, Orange from wing to Yellow on bike, Black to Black. When it comes to electronics, I'd make a good sheep herder so I sure do appreciate the assistance.

Don, not sure if you can change the instruction sheet link that you had posted but sure as heck, someone else will run into the same problem should they come across one of these wing lights to install.

Thanks.......Doug

Many thanks Steve for your observation on this. In fact the instruction sheet that comes with the wing light from Yamaha is incorrect (same instruction sheet that Freebird posted in this thread a couple years ago). Instructions say Red from wing to Yellow on bike, Orange from wing to Blue on bike, Black to Black. Correct instructions should be Red from wing to Blue on bike, Orange from wing to Yellow on bike, Black to Black. When it comes to electronics, I'd make a good sheep herder so I sure do appreciate the assistance.

Don, not sure if you can change the instruction sheet link that you had posted but sure as heck, someone else will run into the same problem should they come across one of these wing lights to install.

Thanks.......Doug

I didn't change the sheet but did add a note regarding this issue.