IGNORED

Slingshot now OK for Ontario!

The Tooch

Don't know if this has been talked about here yet. I just found out that the MTO in Ont. as of March 1st 2016 is allowing the Slingshot to be licensed for use on Ont. roads and the rules that go with it.

• The vehicle will be registered as a motorcycle.
  • You must have a class "G" drivers license. (This is a car license not a class "M" motorcycle license.)
  • You must wear a helmet and seat belts.
  • Passengers who are classified as infants, toddlers, pre-schoolers or primary grade children are not permitted;
  • Three-wheeled vehicles are prohibited from being used for an Ontario driver’s licence road test;
  • No sidecars or trailers are permitted for use on a three-wheeled vehicle.
  • Only federally approved three-wheeled vehicles designed for on-road use are permitted

This is a ten year trial test period to see if the vehicle are suitable for safe use on Ont. roads.

Interesting news Tooch. With the rules you've posted above it appears they'll be more classified as an auto cycle like many states are doing here in the US. I see one problem with the rule concerning pulling a trailer. What about visitors from the States who tow a trailer or even those who tow with a Can Am? Are they going to be ticketed / fined?

Do you have a link showing these new rules?

Larry

Hi Larry

Yes this is what happens all the time in Ont. The laws just don't seem to make sense sometimes. The Can Am got classed as a "3 wheel motorcycle" ( or a motor tricycle.) so they can tow. The Slingshot is in this new class they have created a "3 wheel vehicle" because of the side by side seating and a steering wheel. I have no idea why they have come up with this no tow idea?

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/r16028?_ga=1.186683947.209103977.1459126626

I saw that you are planning to come up to the Ont. Rally in July. The Highway Traffic Act enforcement was never my strong suit when I was doing this kind of thing. I personally wouldn't bother someone with out of province plates for towing with a Slingshot, for what that is worth to you! But of course I'm not doing any of this stuff anymore. I'll make some enquirers with friends of mine that are senior command officers with the Traffic Enforcement unit and see if they have had any direction from the Ministry of Transportation on your question yet. If not I'll have them put the question to the Ministry and then get back to you when I have an answer.

Did a search of a Polaris dealer "near" Kitchener - Peak Powersports in Oakville

2016 Slingshot Gloss Black - $28,249

2016 Slingshot SL LE White Pearl - $33,749

2016 Slingshot SL Red Pearl - $32,749

2016 Slingshot SL Turbo Silver - $32,749