IGNORED

Kuryakin 3 way switch install

Am on a roll this weekend so I installed my Kuryakyn 3 way switch. Here is how it went.:cool10:

I had already split the fairing to install the LED headlamp yesterday, but now I also removed the tank to be able to run wires properly.

Pic 1 shows the tank off and I ran the wires under the right hand cover plate.

Pic 2 shows the unit as it arrives, fully wired to the switch with all of the fuse holders.

First step is to remove the original master cylinder cover and replace with the one that comes with the kit. (Pic 3)

Then install the switch housing on top of the new master cylinder (Pic 4). There are two screws that need to be put on from the back to lock it on.

I then ran the wire harness along the handlebars aiming to get them into the fairing. That proved to be problematic as the fuse holders are placed too close to the unit and they are too big to squeeze though where the handlebars and fairing intersect. (Pic 5). So I cut them off and spliced the wires so they would be skinnier and then they passed through no problem. I know that if a fuse goes I will now have to split the fairing as that is where I relocated them, but I did not want a bunch off fuse holders hanging from the handlebars.

Then you need to run the power and ground leads back to the battery. I also ran a lead from the original headlight ignition switched point (Pic 6) for the passing lamps from front to back. This will be my trigger wire for the relay.

In the fairing, I then removed the original cheap yam switch for the passing lamps and connected the lamps to the new switch housing. Did the same for a second set of LED's that I run from the front fender. Both are now individually switched and fused and not tied to the headlamp for power.

I then proceeded to the back and installed a relay between the battery and the switch. (Pic 7) A very special thank to Bongobobny who very patiently took the time to respond to my relay questions a while back. Other helped out also, but he really stepped up.

Tested the switch (Pic 8) and then buttoned everything up with heat shrink tubes and secured all wires properly. Relay fits behind the battery.

I have one switch that is not used yet. That circuit is still live so I simply removed the fuse for now in that one.

Hope this helps others who may be looking at this install....:canada:

tank off.jpg

Switch and wiring.jpg

Switch mast cyl plate.jpg

Switch on cover.jpg

fuse holders.jpg

tapped ingnition wire.jpg

relay.jpg

switch on.jpg