IGNORED

CREE LED H4 Headlight Installation

I EDITED THIS POST AS I HAD PART OF THE INSTRUCTIONS WRONG YESTERDAY. I was using the rubber protecting boot behind the headlamp bulb and you cannot use it as it will not allow the fan to cool the heat sink.:confused24:

Was able to install my CREE LED H4 Headlight bulb yesterday.:cool10:

It is an 1800lm bulb. Has hi/low beam.

20w for low beam and 40w with high beam on.

Had to split the fairing to get to the bulb and also install the other pieces that came with the bulb.

Going with the sequence of the pics below:

Pic 1 shows you what comes in the box. I bought a double set. This way I have a spare available.

Pic 2 shows the individual components, you get the H4 bulb, a fan and what looks like a ballast or driver.

Pic 3 shows the difference in size between a reg H4 and the CREE H4.

Pic 4 shows that I had to remove the 2 top bolts from the headlight housing so I could tilt it forward to get some space to work with.

After disconnecting the original bulb, I removed the rubber cover (do not re-use), opened the retaining clip and then removed the bulb from the housing.

To attach the LED to the housing you need to install the bulb in the housing like a normal bulb and replace the retaining clip.

Pic 5 shows the lamp in place with the fan attached. To attach the fan unit to the back of the bulb, simply screw it on the end of the bulb housing. Use thread locker (not the permanent stuff) so it does not vibrate free.

Next you need to figure out where the driver will be installed. I simply tie-wrapped it to a wire loom and then made my connections. There are three to make. a- connect fan to driver. b - connect bulb to driver. c- connect driver to stock headlamp connector from the bike.

Pic 6 shows where the driver is sitting.

Pic 7 show the led headlight on with (also) new led driving lamps.

Took about 40 minutes to install.

It looks like the low beam is very bright but there does not seem to be much of a difference with the high beam on, but that was just with an initial test in daylight in my garage. I will keep you posted on how it performs.

Detail to remember are making sure that nothing rubs against the fan that would stop it from spinning and use thread locker so it does not vibrate free.

Will keep the original bulb and rubber boot with me in case I have issues on the road as it would be simple to revert back to original if needed. Also, they now make a 2800lm version of this unit

Hope this is useful.

:canada:

Cree Kit.jpg

Components.jpg

compare bulbs.jpg

Headlight top 1.jpg

With fan attached.jpg

Ballast.jpg

LED headlamp and passing.jpg