IGNORED

New power port added to inner fairing

Zzyzx

Since I was already doing some work on the 99 repairing the stripped out passing light bolt holes and already had the outer fairing off thought I would add an additional power port to the right side inner fairing.

Picked up a USB dual power port and did the install last night.

Connect this one to the factory wires for the aux port on the left side.

May have to up the fuse amperage a bit but not going to do so if the stock fuse blows then will check for any grounding and if all good will up it 5 amps.

"Here are the Pictures Puc" :)

Power Port-1.JPGPower Port-2.JPGPower Port-3.JPGPower Port-4.JPGPower Port-5.JPG

Edited by Zzyzx

Nice!

Where did you plug in? The Aux port on other side?

Connect this one to the factory wires for the aux port on the left side via a cut/solder/heat shrink method.

Also while everything was easily accessible I cleaned and dielectric greased all the other connections before putting the fairing back on.

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about - NICE JOB Z!!! :thumbsup: Right there with ya on the ol "got er all apart,, may as well add..." routine! So Z,, just out of curiousity, about how big of job is it to split the fairing on a second gen - time wise.. Something that could be done at road side? Seeing a fair amount of devices under the outer fairing in your pics makes me wonder if replacing errant relays and stuff might be easier on the 2nd gen than on the 1st..

Oh, by the way,,, this :photographing: takin business keeps up like this and the VR :photographing::cop: department is gonna have to start laying off employees :big-grin-emoticon:

Gonna have to find a REAL job like chasing the wheel all across North America on a beat up old Venture :missingtooth:

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about - NICE JOB Z!!! :thumbsup: Right there with ya on the ol "got er all apart,, may as well add..." routine! So Z,, just out of curiousity, about how big of job is it to split the fairing on a second gen - time wise.. Something that could be done at road side? Seeing a fair amount of devices under the outer fairing in your pics makes me wonder if replacing errant relays and stuff might be easier on the 2nd gen than on the 1st..

Oh, by the way,,, this :photographing: takin business keeps up like this and the VR :photographing::cop: department is gonna have to start laying off employees :big-grin-emoticon:

Gonna have to find a REAL job like chasing the wheel all across North America on a beat up old Venture :missingtooth:

Can have the front portion of the fairing off in about 10 minutes or so which includes the windshield but, if there are passing lights on it these have to come loose as well unless you have the relocation mount installed.

This requires a ball allen so you would have to have one available.

Okay, I looked up the relays in the service manual since I had no idea what these were for, (should have done that yesterday) and there are 2 under the fairing. One is for the flasher relay (#27) by the factory power port and the other is for the hazard (#5) next to the port I added.

Edited by Zzyzx

Can have the front portion of the fairing off in about 10 minutes or so which includes the windshield but, if there are passing lights on it these have to come loose as well unless you have the relocation mount installed.

Okay, I looked up the relays in the service manual since I had no idea what these were for, (should have done that yesterday) and there are 2 under the fairing. One is for the flasher relay (#27) by the factory power port and the other is for the hazard (#5) next to the port I added.

Concur. It's very easy to take the outer fairing apart, @cowpuc. Lots of room in there for goodies. I plan to put a voltmeter where Zzyzx mounted his USB power port. Connected up to the same wires. That's where I connected the power to the XM receiver yesterday, so it's the perfect spot to monitor operating voltages.

In some ways, getting to the fuse boxes, relays and such is easier in the 2nd gen than first gen. My problem is remembering what panel hides what? Since I didn't get the factory user manual, I really should print out the pages related to fuse boxes, etc., and leave copy in 2nd gen tool area.

Connect this one to the factory wires for the aux port on the left side via a cut/solder/heat shrink method.

Also while everything was easily accessible I cleaned and dielectric greased all the other connections before putting the fairing back on.

Thanks Ed. My thoughts as well....

Concur. It's very easy to take the outer fairing apart, @cowpuc. Lots of room in there for goodies. I plan to put a voltmeter where Zzyzx mounted his USB power port. Connected up to the same wires. That's where I connected the power to the XM receiver yesterday, so it's the perfect spot to monitor operating voltages.

In some ways, getting to the fuse boxes, relays and such is easier in the 2nd gen than first gen. My problem is remembering what panel hides what? Since I didn't get the factory user manual, I really should print out the pages related to fuse boxes, etc., and leave copy in 2nd gen tool area.

So let's dig a little deeper here as long as I got you varmints on the wire.. :big-grin-emoticon:

I have heard that Mom Yam decided to put a bunch of electrics down yonder in the "leggins" or "lowers" (no idea if that is what they are called know adays - talking about the shrouds that sit in front of your legs).. If this is so, would it be possible to move those devices under the fairing and be able to remove the lowers for more air flow? You guys ever bump into a need for that?

I always remove the lower fairings on my first gens cause I like to be able to sprawl out and I have found the air flow to be rather nice when riding in high heat area's...

So let's dig a little deeper here as long as I got you varmints on the wire.. :big-grin-emoticon:

I have heard that Mom Yam decided to put a bunch of electrics down yonder in the "leggins" or "lowers" (no idea if that is what they are called know adays - talking about the shrouds that sit in front of your legs).. If this is so, would it be possible to move those devices under the fairing and be able to remove the lowers for more air flow? You guys ever bump into a need for that?

I always remove the lower fairings on my first gens cause I like to be able to sprawl out and I have found the air flow to be rather nice when riding in high heat area's...

Removing the lower fairings on a 2nd gen doesn't accomplish much except to open a lot of the electronics and other critical stuff to the elements.

The fuse panels and other electrical contacts and connections are behind the lowers.

I left the lowers of the 83 because I also like the wind blowing up my pant legs as well except when the bees are busy.

Guess you could move the electronics, but a lot of work. I bought some deflectors and installed to add airflow to lower legs and boots. Seems to work well. Adjustable while riding.... I'm on road so no pics. But I did put some up earlier in one of my posts last month....

@cowpuc , TankerHank on the Delphi boards did what you'er asking, it is a lot of wiring work to move the electronics. You also have the cruise control servo and horn on the left side to deal with also. The end result was nice, but it's a huge project. I'll stick with my air wings and hi-way pegs.