IGNORED

2007 Venture Need Help!

Druace

Hello all this is my first post and I'm in need of some help. I have a 2007 Midnight Venture, I have had it a little over a year and a half now with no issues until now. I had it sit up for about 3 months and it ran fine when I parked it. When I took it out to ride it again the bike would only run on full choke.

When I give the bike throttle it bogs down and dies. When I push the choke in it dies. I broke the bike down cleaned the carbs and jets all free of debris. Fired it up again same problem only now I have white smoke and oil coming out of the right tail pipe. Oil is also leaking from the tail pipe toward the middle of the pipe. I'm at a loss here and hope you guys can offer me some help before I have to sell an organ to have the dealer fix it! Thanks guys!

Check your oil for fuel contamination - seeping float bowls can cause it. Make sure your air breathers and exhausts havent been plugged off from mice activity. By some new plugs, remove the old ones, spin the motor up with no plugs in it and throttle held open to dry out combustion chambers and put new plugs in it. If you hadnt already removed and cleaned the carbs, I would also suggest draining the bowls into a glass jar and checking for water. Check fuel pump by refilling bowls and listening for clickin as mentioned. Hit the start button with kill switch on, no choke, see if it will start. Add choke as needed, if it fires up remove choke as quickly as possible to avoid blackening new plugs. As its warming up, spit check headers to see if she is running on all four.. If problems still exist, might check wire harness for mice damage. Also, how's your battery? Weak battery can = no runny!

Any chance it was stored in freezing temps with no anti freeze?

I changed out the spark plugs and bought a new battery just to be safe. I did store it forgetting to turn the fuel off, but I did take apart the carbs and drained all the fuel out. When I stored it it was in the garage and never got close to freezing temps. The fuel pump clicks normal as it always has and the motor sounds strong no knocks or anything. On full choke it runs no pops or backfires just the oil leak just from the right side tail pipe and when you push the choke in it dies, doesn't even try to stay running. And any throttle even on full choke it bogs and dies.

Would throttle position sensor have anything to do with this? I figured after a good cleaning of the carbs and jets it would have solved the problem or even a sync, but with the oil in the mix now I'm lost.

Guaranteed the crankcase is full of fuel. Check your fuel level and oil level through the window. Somehow when you did the carbs either you didn't adjust the float height correctly or have some debris on the needles and or seats. Drain the oil, clear out the cylinders by pulling the plugs and running the starter as suggested above, and check your floats. Not a big deal but a pain in the ass. Be careful not to turn it over anymore with the plugs in as you could hydrolock the engine and cause more damage.

Ok so I did the steps above, oil smelled like gas! Drained replaced with new oil and changed oil filter. Pulled the plugs ran to let it dry out replaced everything. It does sound better and no more oil shooting out the tail pipe however the problem of only running on full choke and bogging down on throttle still exists. Very frustrating!

Easy first step...run a can of Seafoam thru the gas. You could have a blockage in the carbs.

Also check your fuel filter (under drivers seat).

Run the bike with the petcock turned off for 3 or 4 minutes. Shut off the bike and turn the petcock on. Turn the key on and listen for the pump. Should run for several seconds to recharge the carbs.

Another check - take the fuel tank cap off and listen for a "whishing" sound. Could be your vent has a blockage.

I have run seafoam through it, but I didn't even think to check the fuel filter. How about a carb sync? Would that cause any of this frustration? I have learned a valuable leason, always turn your petcock off when not in use!

You still have a carb issue. If it'll only run with the choke on you have either a fuel level issue or plugged jets. You may also want to check your pilot jet adjustment. Not sure what the spec is on these but probably around two turns out (I'm sure others can verify). You are chasing boogiemen. Go back to the KISS method and look at what started your frustration, an over fueling problem. I left my petcock open all the time and never had an issue with fuel running through the carbs because my floats were doing their job. I've had several instances where I did a set of carbs and had to pull them again because well, carbs. Pilots don't take much to plug or for the adjustment to be off. If your carbs are good, you should be able to run the bike with a coffee can full of fuel held up above the tank connected straight to the fuel inlet tube. Google carb tuning if you're unsure how a carb works and how different throttle positions use different circuits. Or it could be the coils. Or the final drive. Or the rear shock. Or the stereo wiring. Or the clutch. Or the tires.

Did you change the fuel filter? ???? Maby its NEVER been replaced !!!!!

With NEW fuel, maby 2 gallons, put in a HEAVY Dose of SEA-FOAM, Run engine as best you can, fuel OFF, let it sit couple days.

then Repeat this procedure. The Sea Foam, might ( ??? ) clear up any fuel blockage.

Also, be sure your are working with ALL NEW Fuel, if you have not completely drained the tank, do that !!

Get as much Running Time, with a heavy dose of SEA FOAM as possible,

Ok so took carbs apart again cleaned the jets made sure each piolet screw was 2 turns out buttoned her back up and now she vomits gas when she cranks over.

I know this sounds a little crazy but have you confused the pilot screws with the drain screws? I guess the question is "where is it vomiting gas"? any pics?

Ok so took carbs apart again cleaned the jets made sure each piolet screw was 2 turns out buttoned her back up and now she vomits gas when she cranks over.
Did you check and set the float height? Carbs aren't all about the jets. You have to remember that often 1mm low or high will affect performance on motorcycle carbs and it doesn't take much to bend them in either direction while handling. Some are more forgiving than others but it is still a crucial step.

• 4 weeks later...

If it is still not running well after all you have done, I would agree with Wizard that it sounds like your fuel pump. I own an 07 also and mine went or rather acted up last summer and I had to change it. Worked like brand new immediately.

Best of luck to figure it all out.

• 1 year later...

Drain the tank(PIA) o to Wally World and get a can of BerryMans Chem Tech. Mix with 1/2 gallon of gas. Put in tank. Start Bike. Run til you are sure carbs are full. Shut off. Leave sit at least overnight. Start up add a gallon of gas and run it like you stole it til you need to fill up.