IGNORED

1988 Venture Royale 53K

edtheguy

Hey Guys,

Checked valve clearances yesterday, all within .001.

Also pulled left side main fairing off, needing to check cabling for carbs and cruise control.

Fairing is coming apart in small pieces especially at the bend that comes off the radio and down by the knee.

Superglued it back together from the top and then fiberglassed the inside.

Seems to be ok, anybody else run into this? What else can be done other than replacement?

Thanks

Hi @edtheguy - Yes I have 3 Venture Royale's in my stable and unfortunately they all have cracks and repairs in this area.....must be a week spot or all the Previous Owners abused them in the same way. I'm not a big fan of "Super Glue". These fairings (actually all the Venture plastic) is made of ABS. I personally use a 2 part epoxy that is specially formulated for ABS plastic (I pick it up at Walmart). Also I had a spare Inner fairing support which I have cut into pieces to glue on the back of these weak and cracked areas to reinforce them, any type of ABS plastic will work. This method of ABS epoxy and donor ABS hidden on the back of the fairing has allowed me to repair everything including rebuilding grommet mounts and bolt tabs which seem to be another area of weakness. Not sure how long Super Glue will hold on ABS with all the vibration these plastic pieces need to endure flying down the highway!

If you do a search here in the forum, lots of guys have more experience and better ideas on how to repair the body panels.....this is where I learned. Would love to see a picture of your bike and the area of the fairing you need to repair!