IGNORED

Looking for some hints from my fellow Ventureriders

stickhandle2

Hi Gang,

I know a number of us have ridden Gold Wings currently and also in the past, tomorrow morning I am going to look at a 1986 Goldwing with a Champion Sidecar, is there anything that I need to pay special attention to with the 86 wings, from the add the cylinder heads have been rebuilt and it has new timing belts. From the picture in the add it looks in real decent shape and the price is right.....

Anyway any tips or info would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi #stickhandel2 , Yes I own both the Venture and GoldWing of that vintage. Sure I would be happy to give you some insight from my personal experience with the Wing. Things to look for (in my opinion anyways):

1. Make sure your head gaskets are OK on the wing. Check for White smoke from the exhaust and that she is not over heating....all indication of head gasket problems on the wing or warped heads.

2. Know exactly how long it was since they did the timing belts. I always have changed mine immediately after I bought the bike no matter what the owner said.....not worth ruining an engine due to a broken old timing belt.

3. Make sure it has all the plastic.....especially the left side cover (Battery side cover). These are common to fly off while you ride and as a result are REALLY hard to find in the right colour, and expensive to replace.

4. The Stator is rather weak on these bikes, so make sure the charging system is OK...or plan to put a "poor boy" alternator kit on it.

5. Listen for a clunk when engaging the clutch....have seen wings with driveline bearing problems (mine included)

The rest is typical stuff that you should look at for any bike: clutch, brakes, tires, etc.

The GoldWings of that vintage are good bikes (especially since this has a side car) but to be honest my First Gen Ventures still are my favourite when I pick a machine to ride for the day.

Hope that helps! All the best with the purchase! Would love to see some pictures if you get it!

IMG_5159.jpg

Edited by VanRiver

First and for most? Why cylinder heads rebuilt

Also mileage ? Only time I seen head work was round 300,000 mi sounds far out but true some of my friends had high miles

Also ask bout stator ? Ever been replaced as motor has to be removed to service

while engine is running listen to the stator it should be low tone if any rattling noise stator needs service

bike this old will have issues check for rust-wiring-lines-cluster-brakes etc etc

Thank you to both of you Vanriver and Buddy for the info. I am also wondering why the cylinder heads and that was a question I was going to ask about. For me the main reason to check this bike out is the Side Car and it is a model of side car I really like. My wing was a naked 1980 that I added a Vetter faring and bags and trunk a couple years later.

Could be tough if we decide this is the one as I really love riding my 02 midnight, thanks again for the info.

Mike