AL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Thinking out of the box here... so enter with caution

I am trying to imagine here two things.

(1) I am out on the road and I have either a flat or my bike breaks down or maybe even an accident.
    It would take me a LONG time (or a friend helping me) using a cell phone to pull up VR.Org and go through the VR family names and profiles of all, looking for someone in that area who can help me.

(2) I'm not on the road, but just need a helping hand with tools and or maybe someone better technically that I am and could use some help.

So this is what I am leaning towards (asking) in my thoughts:
    Is there a way where we could create a list containing only those members who are willing to offer their service to others, like changing / balancing tires and who would offer a trailer in case of a breakdown on the road, and technical help?

It would be nice where members could "copy" this list & paste it say, on a word document, then print it out and keep it handy on our bikes at all times to help our selves or others riding with us.

Now I know that we already have this info within the profile pages of many VR members, but what I'm asking is, if there is a way to "combine" all that info into a master list containing those Names, towns/ states they live in, the services they offer and a contact number.

I imagine it would take manual updating and I am willing to offer that help in keeping it updated.

Maybe there is an easy way to look up this information already and I am just plain ignorant on how to. If so, please someone ..school me.

United States
    OH
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've had it for a long time my friend. It's called the VR Assistance List. Just click on "Community" and then "VR Assistance".

It is also sortable by most of the headers. In other words, click on "State/Province" if you want it sorted that way or "Name" if you want it sorted by members names and etc.

Unlike our old list which I could never keep up with, this one updates automatically and immediately when members choose to add their information. They simply edit their profile. Select "YES" to VR Assistance and select the services that they are willing to provide. Once they save their profile, it is automatically added to the list.
    Last edited by Freebird; 01-15-2016 at 09:35 PM.

United States
    AL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Understood, however how can I find someone who lives in say....., Nashville, TN. where I am on the side of the road?
    Is there a way I could easily find only those who live in the town of Nashville
    ?

United States
    WI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK
    Since you want to get "Out of the box"
    Do we have someone on this forum that knows how to develop an app so that with just the push of a button on your smart phone it will use your current location and then be able to access the master list on this site to get the closest persons info for the help that you need. This way once set up it would require no extra manual input to maintain.

Well you asked for it......
    Jeff Borowski . . Had 88 Venture standard, now 2011 Silverado 4x4
    There are 10 kinds of people that understand binary, those that do, and those that don't.
    Sometimes the thoughts in my head get bored and go for a stroll out through my mouth (or fingers). This is never a good thing.

Hidden Content Hidden Content

United States
    AL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heck, Im looking in baby steps Flyingfool.

United States
    OH
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eck, you can sort it any way you like. If you want to sort by "city", just click on "city". Then it will be alphabetical by city and you should be able to find all that live in Nashville easy enough. Just sort it the way you want and then print each page if you want a hard copy.

United States
    AL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
    Eck, you can sort it any way you like. If you want to sort by "city", just click on "city". Then it will be alphabetical by city and you should be able to find all that live in Nashville easy enough. Just sort it the way you want and then print each page if you want a hard copy.

That's what I was looking for Don. Many thanks...

I didn't know it could be sorted by city or state. That is exactly what I want to do make a copy and keep it on the bike!

Again, many thanks sir!

United States
    TX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When planning an extended trip. I print out the list for the states I'm travelin. Never had to use it, but feels good to have with me just in case.

I like the app idea
    Best regards; Art

United States
    OH
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another thing you could do is just copy and save the link Assistance List to the bookmarks on your phone's browser.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/me...d19&&field21=1

10. Likes Eck liked this post
    United States
    OH
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinfool View Post
    OK
    Since you want to get "Out of the box"
    Do we have someone on this forum that knows how to develop an app so that with just the push of a button on your smart phone it will use your current location and then be able to access the master list on this site to get the closest persons info for the help that you need. This way once set up it would require no extra manual input to maintain.

Well you asked for it......
    That would be great Jeff and I'm sure it could be done but it's way out of my league.

12. Likes Eck liked this post
    United States
    WI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There has to be a software engineer on this site somewhere.

It is always dangerous to tell any engineer to look outside the box.........
    Jeff Borowski . . Had 88 Venture standard, now 2011 Silverado 4x4
    There are 10 kinds of people that understand binary, those that do, and those that don't.
    Sometimes the thoughts in my head get bored and go for a stroll out through my mouth (or fingers). This is never a good thing.

Hidden Content Hidden Content

United States
    OH
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way, that link works ONLY for supporting members. It will return a "not authorized" message for all visitors, trial members, etc. Due to the fact that our supporting members have person info entered there, it is only accessible by other supporting members. Same reason that member profiles are only viewable by supporting members.

15. Likes cowpuc liked this post