IGNORED

Need Barons Lowering Kit Installation Help.....

Hello, I am planning on installing the Barons Lowering kit (BA-7530-00) barons.jpgon my 2000 Venture. I'm not a mechanic but have worked a lot on my bike (ie. replacing the clutch, tires, etc.), from YouTube videos, etc. The instructions from Barons are terrible. I even called them and they basically said what you see is what you get and couldn't help me. I'm a "visual" person. If I can see pics/video of the install then there's no problem with me doing the installation. Does anyone have any pics or video of this install. I cant find anything on the internet concerning this for a Venture. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hey Steve, (and Steve A)

And,,, I'm not a mechanic either. But I did manage to look busy when a mechanic friend installed one on my RSV.

Obviously jack it up. He tied the front down in his trailer chock then jacked under the engine to raise the rear. Else if you got a MC jack.

Pulled the saddle bags. Pulled the mufflers (right for sure, probably left also). Pulled the caliper and the clamp bracket on the brake line, and hang it from the swingarm or frame with a wire (coat hanger). And he did have to remove the axle because it goes through the mount. See Pic.

Don't think he actually pulled the wheel. (Maybe you can get away with leaving the caliper on the rotor and just rotate the tire to line it up to the Barons brace(???).

Put the bracket on the axle, push the axle through and can tighten it back.

To be honest, I don't remember at what point he mounted the caliper to the Barons brace. You will figure that out.

His hardest part was moving the caliper down where it needs to go and putting the brake line clamp back on the swing arm took some work to get the new bend angle on the brake line and get the clamp mounted in the hole in the swing arm. But you can see, he did.

Good time to look at your rear pads. But the nice thing about this kit is that you can now inspect or change the rear pads anytime without pulling the saddle bag.

Okay, disclaimer time. These are pics from my RSTD which has rusty Barons 4-2-4. Hey, this is a go-bike not a sho-bike,,, with 103K miles.

So,,,, read this,,, look at the pictures,,, turn your head sideways on one.

And then,, call friend Steve A JR (above post) and see if he can help. (Hey Steve,,, see you in about 10 days for the Vet Parade)

Mike G in SC

Lower1.jpg

Lower2.jpg

Lower3.jpg

Edited by Mike G in SC

Stevernc, sorry I was busy editing my post. Also, Steve A,, got confused which Steve was which.

Define connecting arms. Do you mean the dog bones? If I can get a pic without pulling the pipes I will.

Mike G

I'm going to edit this post for discussion on the dog bones (links).

The links are a separate install from installing the caliper relocation bracket. So, I would do the caliper relocation first.

But leave the saddle bags and mufflers off.

Then, the links are pretty easy. I did not see it looking different enough to warrant a picture. Looks same but longer.

You raise the rear of the bike just to take weight off the wheel. Not in the air. You have two bolts, a top and bottom. Loosen them (pull the nuts).

Pull the two bolts. These bolts are through sleeves (or at least one is). They could be tough to get out, may have to tap them out from the end.

(Good time to clean and lube the sleeves before you put them back.)

Then install the two Barons links. Yes they are longer than the stock (have to think about that logic, longer links to shorten your ride!!)

You will need to jack the bike about 1/2 inch to get them to fit.

When you put the nuts back on, careful, they can crush. So, don't try to hunker down on them or you will find they are expensive.

Something worth doing may be to put a stock link and a Barons link on a piece of paper or cardboard. Trace outline them and their holes.

I did this to later go to a fab shop and have him make a set half way in between. So, then I was able to raise my bike back to 3/4" in stead of the full 1 1/2",,, which I was more than I wanted.

Rule of thumb,, for each 1/4" difference in the center holes of the links, you get 1" on the bike.

The Rivco leveling links for the tall guys is actually about 1/4" SHORTER than the stock links. Go figure.

Mike G.

PS,, remember to put your mufflers and saddle bags back on. Only said that because you are in NC. lol

Edited by Mike G in SC

Steve,

Wild Bill is the BEST. He lowered the FRONT of my RSV. I went to his house and he did it there. Took the day.

I know you already got the Barons kit for the rear (which Bill can also do), but he can do the FRONT. That is a lot of work and best know how.

You get more bang for the buck by lowering the front. Lowering the front give you the similar ride to raising the rear (that the Rivco leveling links gives).

Or like the small front tire but even more. If I only had one to do,,, I would do the front. (could send the Baron's kit back??)

Once Bill lowered the front of my RSV, I went back to the Yamaha stock rear dog bones. But I did leave the Barons caliper relocation bracket on because I can service the brakes easy.

Contact Bill, he is the pro at it,, and also does not mind giving some advice. So, maybe talk to him before you tear into it.

Mike G

Hello Wild Bill,

I decided to try and install it today. I connected the new connecting arms then started on the caliper mounting. I removed the brake caliper, swing arm and axle. When I went to attach the new barons bracket, the axle would not go through the hole. I have a 2000 yamaha venture mm edition and was told, by barons, that this is the correct lowering kit for my bike. Have you ever had this problem? I contacted barons but haven't heard back yet.

I have tried attaching a few pics, but I couldn't get them to upload on this site. Thanks!

Steve R.

Hey Stevernc, no I've never had that problem with the stock axle not fitting thru the Barons lowering kit. Are you sure it's not just misaligned. Measure axle dia. and compare it with hole in Barons bracket should just slightly larger. When I had my 06 Venture I lowered the front to match the rear with the installed Barons kit installed. This setup made for a great handling bike.

Thanks Wild Bill,

The difference was so small, that I just used a file to run it through the bracket hole a few times and that worked. Don't know why it wouldn't work prior. I would like to get a newer midnight venture, and when/if I do, I'll definitely come to you to get the front/rear lowered. Thanks!