IGNORED

Thinking about a bike hauler trailer

SapperMedic

OK just to get it out there, Yes I have an RSV and not a Harley so towing it shouldn't happen very often, but we want to be able to take my bike with us when we visit the kids and family in Utah and can't haul everything on the bike. I saw an add on my Facebook page for these Stinger Trailers that don't take up too much room and we could easily tow it with my wife's car or my truck and then enjoy the beauty of the rides throughout Utah and Colorado without having to Ironbutt it all the way through Texas. Any thoughts? I didn't like the design that didn't have side floor boards, but they now come standard. I looked at some others but at less than $2000 shipped, this looked the best.

http://stingertrailer.com/

I wouldn't buy it because loading a big bike is too tricky. In both of the videos where a Goldwing was loaded, the rider was putting his feet on the ground. They must have been really long legged. I couldn't reach the ground while on the trailer and there aren't enough places to put your feet on the trailer to keep the bike from falling over. Okay, I skipped over the photos to see the videos. They have added running boards now to put your feet on. So, it's probably okay if you can stand the price.

I bought an 8'x5' open utility trailer ($600) from Lowes to haul my ZN700 back from WI. It isn't quite long enough for my Venture unless I load it diagonally or remove the tail gate ramp. I'm not sure how to remove it yet. An enclosed trailer would be ideal to keep the road crud off the bike. For example, when I hauled my ZN700 from NC to FL in Feb 2010, there were lots of cars with road salt all over them going to Fl from the frozen north. It was rainy and the road salt was washed off onto the road. My bike got covered with road salt.

Edited by BlueSky

the Stinger does not have any suspension. I view that as a fault. they claim the tires provide a soft ride along with the motorcycles suspension. dont know, but the tires on my utility trailer have to be inflated to 90 psig and aren't flexible. I used my utility trailer (rated for 1650lbs) to tow my 535 lb ZN700 for about 20 miles on the turnpike with the tires at about 35 psig and one of the tires failed. Lesson learned. 90 means 90.

(I used my utility trailer (rated for 1650lbs) to tow my 535 lb ZN700 for about 20 miles on the turnpike with the tires at about 35 psig and one of the tires failed. Lesson learned. 90 means 90.)

Well....you can run 70- 80 pounds (out of 90)....as long as you don't go to far underinflated. Stay 25% or less from max load pressure and you are ok. BUT, yea...I always stay within 4 pounds of max on the boat trailer (50 pounds) and same with truck tires load range C...40 out of 44 pounds. Never had an issue with multiple cross-country tows in summer heat.

Had an argument 5 years ago with a major company that sold tires who insisted on not putting anymore air in the truck tires than it says on the truck door panel. 36 pounds of air on a load range C tire (44 pounds) was dangerous. I let the ownership of the company know a lawsuit was waiting in the wings due to this rule. They changed their ways shortly afterwards. Let's see...36 pounds of air..running 65 mph...towing a 2.5 ton sailboat with a 6K pound truck in the desert heat of 110 degrees. NOT!

boat&truck.jpg

OOps...sorry for hijacking the thread!

Edited by videoarizona
add pic

I have a stinger trailer which I used to tow my bike from Ontario to Arizona in Feb through all kinds of weather.It worked great with no problems.It is easy for one person to load or unload bike.It is a near perfect trailer if you have a smaller car for towing

dale

I have a stinger trailer which I used to tow my bike from Ontario to Arizona in Feb through all kinds of weather.It worked great with no problems.It is easy for one person to load or unload bike.It is a near perfect trailer if you have a smaller car for towing

dale

what bike were you towing Dale and how is the bike trailer during the ride with bike on back?

I have tried different trailers over the years and am very happy with my 6x12 enclosed cargo trailer with rear ramp, which I beefed up to handle over the rated 1000lbs cap.Keeps my bike out of the weather and road grime. Picked this trailer up used for $2.ooo

DSCF2848.JPG

I watched both videos and did not see any flex in the main track at all. The trailer is a bit pricey. Again this is just like the tag alongs some of us have behind our bikes. Some use the HF trailers with car top carriers. Some like myself prefer to spend the extra money and get a nicer trailer. Too each their own. The utility trailers from Lowes and other places are multi use. But as some have stated not long enough for a RSV and have to be loaded on an angle. I would not want to have to do this with a 900 plus pound bike. A 200 pound dirt bike...ok, but not a bagger. You can buy something cheaper, that is not design specific and deal with the "work arounds" or you can buy one design specific and it functions as it was intended with no "work arounds". Example is the HF trailers. Not designed to be pulled by motorcycles. No storage compartment. Guys are modifying the tongue length, adding carriers for storage and such. Do you save money? Yes and no. I know my time is working on projects like this is what I make at my job on overtime. Factor that in and the aggravation of the constant "work arounds" every single time you use it. And you are not saving money. You are causing yourself grief.

It's a bit pricy but this is my trailer of choice. I once had one very similar and have kicked myself many times for selling it. It is similar to the ground loading "Razor" trailer but this one is left connected to the vehicle to lower it. They make several versions. Everything from a trike model to a single bike model. There was another one that was very similar but a lot cheaper but I can no longer find it anywhere.

http://www.baxleycompanies.com/Trailers.html

The stinger is interesting. The only thing I don't like about it is the bike is more or less unprotected and the mercy of anything the rear tires of the tow vehicle can kick up. And the price is huge factor for what it is. The fact that is does stow away easily is a plus and does justify owning it and only using it a couple of times a year. However, IMHO, price wise you might be a lot better off with a duel purpose landscape trailer. A 5x10 with side walls, top rail, and ramp gate.... Unless you live in a condo?? It's cheaper and great for making dump runs or hauling firewood. I bought mine for $750, and after a lot of trial and error, and installed a Harbor Freight condor copy chock. I think the 5x10 landscape is the epitome of a Venture hauler. Here's a few pics which I think I've posted before on a different thread, but it give you an idea.

trailerchock.1.jpg

2015-06-29 07.24.16 (Medium).jpg

2015-06-29 07.23.54 (Medium).jpg

I watched both videos and did not see any flex in the main track at all.

In the vid of the yellow gold wing, there is a lot of flex in the main rail just as the bikes rear wheel leaves the ramp and goes onto the main rail. Once the bike is loaded the main rail is definitely flexed between the coupler and rear axle.

Or in this pic

http://stingertrailer.com/img/stinger_trailer_in_action.png

I like my $600 utility trailer. It's very easy to load a bike. I tie the front wheel to the front rail and put 4 tie downs on it, probably 2 more than necessary. The front 2 I connect just above the fork brace so the suspension movement doesn't affect the tightness of the tie downs. Mine is a 5'x8'. A 5'x10' would be better for a Venture. I've been looking at the hinges on my trailer to see how to remove the tailgate/ramp. I suppose I can remove the grease fitting on the hinge bolt and knock it out. But, I'm not sure at this point that the hinge bolt is supposed to come out.

when I was looking for a trailer I found an enclosed 10 x 6 haulin trailer for 900.00. A little grubby but it cleaned up well.

Enclosed trailers are great for hauling a scoot, but not much else except..... storage. I own 4 larger sized enclosed, and they are jamb packed with 'stuff'. I'd originally buy them for bike storage and before I can get a bike inside there's no room left.. The trailer I use the most is that smaller 5x10 landscape.