IGNORED

Run Off VOTING for 2016 International Rally Location

Freebird

Please select your preferred location for the 2016 VentureRider International Rally  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Please select your preferred location for the 2016 VentureRider International Rally

• Viroqua, WI
    • Davis, WV

If you were the volunteer for either of the final two selections, Viroqua, WI or Davis, WV, please take a few minutes to pitch the case for your location so that our members can better make their selection.

We need proposed dates for the rally, local information and attractions, hotels, campgrounds, etc. Plus any details of what you will try to plan.

Thanks to all of you who voted in the first poll. If you location didn't win, maybe you will submit it again next time or even arrange a regional rally there for a time that doesn't conflict with the International Rally.

That brings up another point. For those of you who have volunteered to host the International, PLEASE do not propose a date that directly conflicts with our other annual rallies. That includes Freebird's Maintenance Day, MarCarl's gathering, Big Tom's annual NY meet or the PIP. Those are typically always pretty much on the same dates each year.

So, all of that being said, please vote when you are ready. You may want to wait until our volunteers post their information however.

This poll will remain open for approximately 1 week.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If WV is the location for the rally. The place I would hold it is http://canaanresort.com/13/home/ it has camping, lodge and cabins, the cabins have 1 to 4 bedrooms. The time frame will be Sept. 26th - 29th. Sunday the 25 th would be arrival date and Fri. 30 would be departure date. Go here for some of the area attractions. http://canaanresort.com/13/activities/area-attractions/

To get Started I would like to say Thanks for the votes for Wi,

I will start out with the dates I have taken August out after looking at the calendar I see that there are 2 annual Rallies during August.

June 5th to the 8th and 12th to the 16th

July 3rd to 7th and 10th to 14th. If its up to me to pick the date I will go with June 12th to the 16th.

As for places to stay.

Camping

We have plenty of camping room here at no charge , there will be a shower avalible.

Sidie Hollow, very nice campground has showers electric and non electric sites and there is a small lake.

Viola campground, it just on the edge of town with showers and electric.

Blakley Hobbit, has two cabins and a camping area along the West Fork of the Kickapoo River very nice place do have a about 200 yards of gravel road the road is well taken care of.

Esopea County Park, is a nice small campground bathrooms but no showers. All of the camping spots are less than 8 miles of our place on good roads.

Motels

www.vernoninnandsuites.com

http://hickoryhillmotel.com/

http://www.midwaymotelviroqua.net/travel.html

My plans for the Rally

Most of all will be for us to be all able to get together and see old friends and make some new ones.

I am going to keep it simple it will be come as you are and just enjoy your self.

Sunday, will be greeting day here at our place and I will have information here for the rides that are planed and will help those that may want to venture out on their own with maps of the area.

Monday, will be meet here and who ever wants to go on a ride can go or stay here and chat and take the day in as you would like, The end of the day we will meet back here for time to set and relax around a campfire.

Tuesday will be pretty much the same, other than a set down dinner at the Old Oak Inn at Westby for those that would like to go.

Wednesday, Will be a ride and then back here at our place for a bonfire and I am in the works of doing a hog roast if not that we will put together a cookout and fireworks at dark

Thursday, Is up in the air day see the ones that are heading for home on their way and just take as it goes.

I am doing these days by the past rallies and they have went from Sunday to Thursday.

As for plans on things to see and do. Here is a link http://driftlesswisconsin.com/

If you dont want to go on the rides that will be planed we will have information here for the area, there is alot to see and do around here there are small shops in Viroqua, Westby and there is Lacrosse 30 miles away, there are some nice golf corses close by, there is canoeing, hiking, fishing and I will have hand outs here for the area.

The rides will be small groups and you can pick the ride you want to go on.

There will be three diffrent rides put togehter for each day to the north,east and south.

These rides will be at a easy pace so we can enjoy it no 4 lane roads. And will have stops at some of the areas shops and unique places.

If you want to come and relax enjoy some good company eat good food and ride threw some great country I will do my best to make sure thats what we do.

Edit: Fixed broken link to: http://www.vernoninnandsuites.com/

Edited by OrlinEngh

I have to put in a good word for the Viroqua, WI area. It has some of the best riding you can imagine, everything from tight, windy, very up-and-down type roads to more general sweeper curves you can take at speed limit+. If you want to cover ground, and have gentler curves, the number roads are for you. If you go to the single letter county roads, you get more up and down, left and right, narrower, less markings, etc. If you go to the double letter county roads, you're on the most windy, up and down roads in the area. We've spent a week in the Viroqua area four times in the last 6 years or so, and do not tire of riding the area. We actually stayed near Desoto, WI. We also spend quite a bit of time in Winona, MN, and usually cross the Mississippi River to go ride in WI.

You are usually riding the top of a ridge, or the valley along side of a little creek or river, or transitioning from one to the other. Plenty of woods, farm fields planted on the contour, flowing water. Nice little towns, areas with Amish farms, an occasional ice cream stop. Are you catching on? We love it there.

I'm not that big a fan of group rides, especially bigger group rides, so I'm not too big on searching out the rallies. Been to PIP once and had a good time, just haven't been able to time it out to go back. Having said that, if Viroqua gets the nod, I'll be trying hard to make it work for this one.

Larry

Sunday, will be greeting day here at our place and I will have information here for the rides that are planed and will help those that may want to venture out on their own with maps of the area.

/

And riding up and down either side of the Mississippi is a great way to spend some quality time with your motorcycle!

If you just want to spend some quality time with the Mississippi itself there are small boat tours that take half a day or so.

And riding up and down either side of the Mississippi is a great way to spend some quality time with your motorcycle!

If you just want to spend some quality time with the Mississippi itself there are small boat tours that take half a day or so.

Heck if it is rivers you want to ride up and down come to WV. You can ride beside the Cheat, Dry Fork. Black Water, and Black fork and they eventually end up in the Mississippi.:cool10:

To get Started I would like to say Thanks for the votes for Wi,

I will start out with the dates I have taken August out after looking at the calendar I see that there are 2 annual Rallies during August.

June 5th to the 8th and 12th to the 16th

July 3rd to 7th and 10th to 14th. If its up to me to pick the date I will go with June 12th to the 16th.

As for places to stay.

Camping

We have plenty of camping room here at no charge , there will be a shower avalible.

Sidie Hollow, very nice campground has showers electric and non electric sites and there is a small lake.

Viola campground, it just on the edge of town with showers and electric.

Blakley Hobbit, has two cabins and a camping area along the West Fork of the Kickapoo River very nice place do have a about 200 yards of gravel road the road is well taken care of.

Esopea County Park, is a nice small campground bathrooms but no showers. All of the camping spots are less than 8 miles of our place on good roads.

Motels

www.vernoninnandsuites.com

http://hickoryhillmotel.com/

http://www.midwaymotelviroqua.net/travel.html

My plans for the Rally

Most of all will be for us to be all able to get together and see old friends and make some new ones.

I am going to keep it simple it will be come as you are and just enjoy your self.

Monday, will be meet here and who ever wants to go on a ride can go or stay here and chat and take the day in as you would like, The end of the day we will meet back here for time to set and relax around a campfire.

Tuesday will be pretty much the same, other than a set down dinner at the Old Oak Inn at Westby for those that would like to go.

Wednesday, Will be a ride and then back here at our place for a bonfire and I am in the works of doing a hog roast if not that we will put together a cookout and fireworks at dark

Thursday, Is up in the air day see the ones that are heading for home on their way and just take as it goes.

I am doing these days by the past rallies and they have went from Sunday to Thursday.

As for plans on things to see and do. Here is a link http://driftlesswisconsin.com/

If you dont want to go on the rides that will be planed we will have information here for the area, there is alot to see and do around here there are small shops in Viroqua, Westby and there is Lacrosse 30 miles away, there are some nice golf corses close by, there is canoeing, hiking, fishing and I will have hand outs here for the area.

The rides will be small groups and you can pick the ride you want to go on.

There will be three diffrent rides put togehter for each day to the north,east and south.

These rides will be at a easy pace so we can enjoy it no 4 lane roads. And will have stops at some of the areas shops and unique places.

If you want to come and relax enjoy some good company eat good food and ride threw some great country I will do my best to make sure thats what we do.

Edit: Fixed broken link to: http://www.vernoninnandsuites.com/

I stoped by the Vernon Inn and they said that they will block off rooms and they do give group discounts.

The Hickory Hill will block of rooms but he wasnt clear on the group discount.

If WV is selected I can help if needed. I have hosted I think it was 4 or 5 motorcycle events from Canaan Resort. They really do have everything at one resort. Lodge rooms, cabins, camping, bar, restaurant and snack bar. Plus large meeting rooms available for a banquet or nightly gathering.

A lot of fun well maintained roads with relatively light traffic. The whole area is a long way from any urban area which to some may be a bad thing, but for us... is a bonus. No matter which direction you come in from... you'll have an awesome ride just getting here!

Chuck knows this area extremely well and I will keep his dates open so I can offer help as needed. I'll be a camper.

In WV... it is all about riding! Whether you want scenic rides or wish to feed your adrenaline addiction... there is a road for that. Here are some links to look over. You will see very very few stop lights (if any). Rush hour may consist of a dozen cars. Yes, you may hear a banjo or two, but stay away from the gravel roads and you'll be fine.. LOL ;)

55 WV Motorcycle Roads: (great many near Davis) http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motorcycle-roads/motorbike-rides-in-united-states-/West%20Virginia_-6432.html

WV Motorcycle Roads: http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/West-Virginia_124.html

Pocahontas County Rides: http://www.pocahontascountywv.com/Files/FInalMotorcycle2010.pdf

WV Motorcycle routes: http://www.openroadjourney.com/rides-and-roads/west-virginia

Hope to see ya there!

Here is a WV video. This is a section of US 50, one of the major roads through the area Chuck is proposing. Note the good pavement condition, light traffic for a major route and of course... the curves. Did you see the curves? This is very representative of all the roads in this area.

[video=youtube;az75-SKFD7E]

What is average temps late Sept. In WV Been getting awfully cold here in Ohio early Sept?

Climate data shows last week in September average high, 70, average low 45. Record high 90, record low 26. So expect cool mornings, but very pleasant days. Average daily precip is 0.11 so one of the dryer months.

Heck if it is rivers you want to ride up and down come to WV. You can ride beside the Cheat, Dry Fork. Black Water, and Black fork and they eventually end up in the Mississippi.:cool10:

I live on the Elk River with some great riding and the Williams River road CAN NOT be beat. I want to do it again this Fall.

I agree with most that has been said here BUT. There is always a BUT isn't there? I have had 3 major accidents in the last 10 yrs. 2 close to home with Idiots either High or Drunk. As mentioned maybe I just need to learn how to ride. I guess what I'm trying to say is no area is safe for us these days. Last accident was in Ohio and I can't remember. (Head took a pretty good lick again.) But the other two I could not have been doing any better on my part. Could have avoided them by staying in bed that morning. The areas in WV are great rides but we still have to be watching for idiots. No idea what set me off on this this morning but there are some GREAT Rides in West by God!! Not sure that is best part of State but it is nice. A little high Dollar up that way for this country boy. Retirement Sucks!!