IGNORED

2005 Royal Star Tour Deluxe - Wheel Bearing Replacement

My 2005 Royal Star Tour Deluxe has between 25K and 30k miles on it. I am getting ready to replace both tires. When is it a good idea to replace the front wheel bearings, and is this something that I could do myself, or would I need special tools to do it. Also, should any bearings in the rear wheel be replaced, and would it require special tools? Has anyone had to do either of these and performed the maintenance themselves?

Regards,

Tony

When the wheel is off turn them with your finger and make sure they turn smoothly and there isn't any play. If they feel good I wouldn't replace them.

You can ruin a brand new bearing on install if you don't use the proper tool or substitute.

I can't answer your wheel bearing question but if you haven't done it yet and while you have back wheel off, I would repack the swing arm bearings. There is a write up in the tech section on how to do it.

agree with this..just repacked swingarm bearings at 35 000 mi...also had a undetermined noise from rear so replaced wheel bearings one is sealed one a roller type..also seals..follow tech section or service manual...worth the time ...parts are reasonable$$$..no speicial tools

Tony,

Food for thought here.

I had about 96k miles on my 2005 RSV and I never replaced any of the wheel bearings. With you having only 25 /30k miles, (which is really nothing on them), I personally would not change them unless they were damaged somehow.. This is my opinion and may not be the same as others here. I mean 25k to 35k miles on a wheel bearing is minor miles /wear & tear on them.

I just have to ask this in strengthening my point here, but how often do you really change your cage wheel bearings and what is the difference of the cage wheel bearings & the bikes wheel bearings?

I mean bearings are bearings and if you need to change them at 25k on your bike then your cage would also need them changed.

When you remove the wheel, (as mentioned above) place your finger in the wheel bearing and turn it and see if you can feel any binding or grinding. If not, and it turns smoothe and with little effort, I would not worry about them.

Eck

My rear bearing (opposite from the pumpkin) went out at about 80k miles. It wasn't pretty. I will be changing all my wheel bearings out this winter and intend to maintain a replacement interval of about 50k miles (I have about 131k now).

That being said, at 25k, I wouldn't worry about them if they roll smoothly during inspection with the wheel off. Ride on.

RR