IGNORED

1986 Venture Royale Issues

Hi,

I have a 1986 Venture Royale, that I have had for just a bit and just started riding. The air suspension is not working, is that easy to replace? When the bike warms up, I start having shifting issues, I cannot get it into Neutral. Shut it down, start is up when it cools off and I can shift into neutral and start it. Any solutions?

Thanks,

Jim

With engine stopped and wheels not rolling there is usually pressure on transmission preventing it from shifting to neutral. If you're going to neutral shift before you get stopped or move the bike forward or back to free the pressure on the transmission when you want to shift to neutral. VR doesn't have automatic neutral finder like my Vulcan 2000 and some other models.

Air ride only works with the key in the ACC position. If that doesn't work for you then we need more info. Does the control light up and what error codes are you getting.

Neutral can be a pain at times, often easier to find from 2nd than from 1st. Try changing the clutch fluid and making sure the clutch is properly bled. If the clutch doesn't release properly it'll be hard to find neutral.

The air suspension is not working, is that easy to replace?

Depends on what part of the C.L.A.S.S. (air leveling system) is not working. Does the controller light up and display anything besides "psi"? As Marcarl says, the CLASS can be operated only when the keyed ignition switch is at the ACC position.

If the controller does not turn on, check the CLASS fuse. It is a glass fuse within a rubber waterproof in-line fuse holder.

CLASS fuse holder 1a.JPG

When the bike warms up, I start having shifting issues, I cannot get it into Neutral. Shut it down, start is up when it cools off and I can shift into neutral and start it. Any solutions?

Again as Carl says; probably requires a fluid flush and bleed of the clutch hydraulic system. I lost the capability to disengage the clutch completely on my then new to me 1990 when I was riding it home from the seller's business. Old water contaminated fluid was the cause.

Thanks Gentlemen. You will get a kick out of this, I called a "premiere" Yamaha dealer in ND. The service person asked me if a Venture Royale was a boat, and when updated replied with the stock, we don't work on bikes that old. I asked, what about boats?:)

Both local dealers to me will work on 1st gens, but plainly told me they won't work on restoring Mike's 1st gen. Too many problems that will likely lead to more problems. Both stated when he finds a reliable 1st gen they will happily do work on it.

Depends on what part of the C.L.A.S.S. (air leveling system) is not working. Does the controller light up and display anything besides "psi"? As Marcarl says, the CLASS can be operated only when the keyed ignition switch is at the ACC position.

If the controller does not turn on, check the CLASS fuse. It is a glass fuse within a rubber waterproof in-line fuse holder.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101191[/ATTACH]

Again as Carl says; probably requires a fluid flush and bleed of the clutch hydraulic system. I lost the capability to disengage the clutch completely on my then new to me 1990 when I was riding it home from the seller's business. Old water contaminated fluid was the cause.

What is the best fluid to flush with a DOT 3? Which brand do you like?

DOT3 or DOT 4 brake fluid. No brand preference.

Just a FYI: When dealing with brake fluid around these Ventures, treat the brake fluid as if it were a plastic eating acid, because it is. Protect the bike with impermeable plastic and absorbent towels or such. Immediately wash any spills from the bike with copious amounts of soapy water and clear water rinse. Because spilled brake fluid will migrate into cracks and crevices and remain invisible, but will cause irreparable harm to the ABS plastic.

Also, the Air Ride, Control Head, Cable, about 3 inches from head, is a Pull Apart Plug. Check the Pins in those plugs for

being LOOSE. You might have to RE - Solder the pins, with a " Small Soldering iron " .

While you are working on your bike, Open, and Clean, EVERY Electrical PLUG, you can get your hands On !!

If your bike still has an Lead Acid, old style battery, get a new AGM type Dry Cell !!! Money Well Spent !!

Clean ALL the Electical Switches in both handle bar units, with Electrical Contact Cleaner , ( Its a good thing to do )

• 4 years later...
Hi,

I have a 1986 Venture Royale, that I have had for just a bit and just started riding. The air suspension is not working, is that easy to replace? When the bike warms up, I start having shifting issues, I cannot get it into Neutral. Shut it down, start is up when it cools off and I can shift into neutral and start it. Any solutions?

Thanks,

Jim

Haven’t had the shifting issue you refer to but have had trouble gettin the starter to engage. Is it normal to only start in neutral? I swear I have been able to start it once or twice in gear so long as the kickstand was up. These interlocks are new to me, my duc will drive home on the starter if the battery lasts.

refer to service manual page 7-82

also if you haven’t performed the aforementioned re-soldering that may be your issue.

https://www.yamahaventure.nl/pdf/servicemanualxvz1300.pdf

AWESOME!! Thank you for the manual. I have a manual for my 83 but no air system on it. I’ll check the pins for connection and go from there.