IGNORED

Interesting ride

Sailor

Went on my first real ride yesterday since getting the bike back. A friend and I rode to Lake Cowichan and stopped to say hi to my son. We then took off on the Lake Cowichan-Port Renfrew road (Pacific Marine Highway) Originally a logging road it was eventually graded and paved and has so many corners and switchbacks it can be compared to a snake with a broken back. Throw in a couple thousand feet of elevation all compressed into 58 K and it has become very popular with bikers. Just over the crest we ran into heavy smoke. It was getting difficult to breathe and our eyes were watering when we came on the site of a forest fire. We stopped to look. The fire was about 1/4 mile away up on a ridge. It was amazing to see a 60 foot fir explode into flame watch the wind twist the flames. Much more impressive than anything on tv. My friend said " I don't ever want to get closer than this to a forest fire" I agreed and we took off. About 5 minutes and 4 corners later we rounded a corner and the fire was right up to the road. We booted it out of there. Sitting in the pub at Port Renfrew we heard that they closed the road and we were the last to get through. After our beer and burger lunch we continued the ride down Highway 14. Another busted back snake road. Each year some idiots in cages out drive their abilities on this road and snuff themselves. I see today that when we originally saw the fire it was about 25 acres and has now grown to 150 acres overnight. Last ride...accident...busted ankle,ribs,bike. First ride back....forest fire. What next???

Went on my first real ride yesterday since getting the bike back. A friend and I rode to Lake Cowichan and stopped to say hi to my son. We then took off on the Lake Cowichan-Port Renfrew road (Pacific Marine Highway) Originally a logging road it was eventually graded and paved and has so many corners and switchbacks it can be compared to a snake with a broken back. Throw in a couple thousand feet of elevation all compressed into 58 K and it has become very popular with bikers. Just over the crest we ran into heavy smoke. It was getting difficult to breathe and our eyes were watering when we came on the site of a forest fire. We stopped to look. The fire was about 1/4 mile away up on a ridge. It was amazing to see a 60 foot fir explode into flame watch the wind twist the flames. Much more impressive than anything on tv. My friend said " I don't ever want to get closer than this to a forest fire" I agreed and we took off. About 5 minutes and 4 corners later we rounded a corner and the fire was right up to the road. We booted it out of there. Sitting in the pub at Port Renfrew we heard that they closed the road and we were the last to get through. After our beer and burger lunch we continued the ride down Highway 14. Another busted back snake road. Each year some idiots in cages out drive their abilities on this road and snuff themselves. I see today that when we originally saw the fire it was about 25 acres and has now grown to 150 acres overnight. Last ride...accident...busted ankle,ribs,bike. First ride back....forest fire. What next???

Good to see both you and the bike are back on the road Kerry. Doug