IGNORED

Windows 10

Well, I am Impressed, I think they finely did it. Windows 10 is awesome . Windows 8.1 sucked.

Loved 7, but 10 is a nice platform and I didn't loose anything with the free upgrade from 7.

I think they took XP and 7 and made something good LOL

Extremely fast as well.

Anyways I am sure there will be the bashers soon enough :-) we already know how much you love your mac. and windows sucks. LOL

AND ITS FREE !!!

Only one problem is when I tried typing in this box I couldn't until I clicked something down below.

The title typed just fine.

Jeff

I have been playing with it for about 1 hour, there is a new internet explorer browser but you can still use your original as well.

all my books are there as well. so far I am loving it. I even had the same desk top when fully loaded. you just have to play a bit

and figure out a few things but otherwise I was terrified like you LOL not going back to 7 so far.

My husband banned 10 from our house, there's some major security issues that made him pass on 8 and 10. These flaws are considered "features" in these versions of windows. I can get him to go find the article that discusses it, but the gist is windows changes your network settings to completely open and exposed, allowing the random person driving by to joe random hacker complete access to your home network and devices. You have to opt out of this feature to secure your home network and devices. I can ask him to post the fix for everyone if someone asks.

My thought on this kind of thing is why? XP worked great, 7 not so bad and 8 was a flop. ME sucked so they are pretty hit and miss. And they completely make you change because after they come out with the next big thing they stop any support for something tried and true. It would be like, GM making a car for 3 years and then nobody can work on it because the DRB cant read anything. Besides it takes us more advanced guys longer to figure things out and get comfortable with an OS. And not everybody want to use a dang tablet or phone to read e-mails, surf the net and word process etc. SO all the touch based stuff just dont seem to work on a "dual" type thing they are trying to force.

I have been playing with it for about 1 hour, there is a new internet explorer browser but you can still use your original as well.

all my books are there as well. so far I am loving it. I even had the same desk top when fully loaded. you just have to play a bit

and figure out a few things but otherwise I was terrified like you LOL not going back to 7 so far.

Not terrified at all, just cautious.

Microsoft has a bad track record with this sort of thing. Not whether or not it works, but the hidden "gotchas". They're a business and always look for the advantage, BUt IMHO they just usually want too much advantage. Always trying to dig "sellable" info out of their customers. Just like Apple, google, yahoo, etc.....

Edited by Great White

My husband banned 10 from our house, there's some major security issues that made him pass on 8 and 10. These flaws are considered "features" in these versions of windows. I can get him to go find the article that discusses it, but the gist is windows changes your network settings to completely open and exposed, allowing the random person driving by to joe random hacker complete access to your home network and devices. You have to opt out of this feature to secure your home network and devices. I can ask him to post the fix for everyone if someone asks.

Yes please!

:)

The Problem that my wife (GAWildKat) is talking about that lead me to lay the blanket ban on allowing anyone with a machine with Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 in the house is the feature they label Wi-Fi Sense Password Sharing feature. Microsoft has enabled this "feature" by default in their operating system. With this feature active, when I give a friend the pre-shared key that allows access to my encrypted Wi-Fi connection, Wi-Fi sense will propagate that information to their contacts on Outlook.com, Skype, and (the real kicker) Facebook. While those that receive the information through this automatic sharing won't necessarily know that they have it, by extension they would get automatic access to my Wi-Fi if they ever visited my house, without ever having to be given the access credentials...thus reducing the control I have over who can use my network. Outlook.com and Skype would only allow direct contacts of my guest to receive the information, so that's a relatively minor thing to me, as the friend of my friend is usually a friend as well, who would also have the credentials given to him. No, the part that outright scares me is Facebook Sharing. Depending on how my friend has his profile set up this information could be spread to his direct Friends (possibly some overlap), "Friends of Friends" (same amount of overlap, but a greater percentage of people I have no idea who they are having access to my credentials), or "Public" (ever use facebook public information to play 6 degrees? Share stuff on the "public" channel and that info WILL get to some kind of predator.) What they also don't tell you is that as a function of most routers and access points, unless they have a special flag put in the SSID, will store address and location information that will get passed to Wi-Fi sense as part of the same header that stores the wi-fi credentials.

The key to keeping Wi-Fi sense disabled on visitors' computers without having to dive into their settings to make sure it's disabled is to add the "_optout" flag to the SSID of the router/access point. Also, that bit about routers storing their location information? That's a function of Google. All it needs is an Android Smart Phone that connects to its Wi-Fi. The phone will use its GPS and Cell Tower location tracking information to mark the router/access point with an address that the router will store for easier access in the future, providing other cell phones in the area with another method to get their location. Cell phones don't actually have to log into the network to make use of the information. It's passed on automatically as part of the SSID broadcast that the router/AP will continually pass out in its beacon. Disabling the SSID broadcast in the router configuration will not stop the router from storing the location information either. The way to stop this security hole is to add "_nomap" to the SSID string. So if you normally name your router's SSID "ThisIsMyHome", to force disable Wi-Fi sense and Location services, you would have to name it "ThisIsMyHome_optout_nomap"

Refference pages:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2951824/windows/how-to-disable-windows-10s-wi-fi-sense-password-sharing.html [Disable Wifi Sense]

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/1725632?hl=en [Disable Google Location Services]

This is why I stopped dealing with networking and software/OS knowledge guys! There's just too much technical knowledge to know regarding it now, compared to 15/20 years ago. But give me a computer hardware issue, I'm the right person for that job.

The Problem that my wife (GAWildKat) is talking about that lead me to lay the blanket ban on allowing anyone with a machine with Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 in the house is the feature they label Wi-Fi Sense Password Sharing feature. Microsoft has enabled this "feature" by default in their operating system. With this feature active, when I give a friend the pre-shared key that allows access to my encrypted Wi-Fi connection, Wi-Fi sense will propagate that information to their contacts on Outlook.com, Skype, and (the real kicker) Facebook. While those that receive the information through this automatic sharing won't necessarily know that they have it, by extension they would get automatic access to my Wi-Fi if they ever visited my house, without ever having to be given the access credentials...thus reducing the control I have over who can use my network. Outlook.com and Skype would only allow direct contacts of my guest to receive the information, so that's a relatively minor thing to me, as the friend of my friend is usually a friend as well, who would also have the credentials given to him. No, the part that outright scares me is Facebook Sharing. Depending on how my friend has his profile set up this information could be spread to his direct Friends (possibly some overlap), "Friends of Friends" (same amount of overlap, but a greater percentage of people I have no idea who they are having access to my credentials), or "Public" (ever use facebook public information to play 6 degrees? Share stuff on the "public" channel and that info WILL get to some kind of predator.) What they also don't tell you is that as a function of most routers and access points, unless they have a special flag put in the SSID, will store address and location information that will get passed to Wi-Fi sense as part of the same header that stores the wi-fi credentials.

The key to keeping Wi-Fi sense disabled on visitors' computers without having to dive into their settings to make sure it's disabled is to add the "_optout" flag to the SSID of the router/access point. Also, that bit about routers storing their location information? That's a function of Google. All it needs is an Android Smart Phone that connects to its Wi-Fi. The phone will use its GPS and Cell Tower location tracking information to mark the router/access point with an address that the router will store for easier access in the future, providing other cell phones in the area with another method to get their location. Cell phones don't actually have to log into the network to make use of the information. It's passed on automatically as part of the SSID broadcast that the router/AP will continually pass out in its beacon. Disabling the SSID broadcast in the router configuration will not stop the router from storing the location information either. The way to stop this security hole is to add "_nomap" to the SSID string. So if you normally name your router's SSID "ThisIsMyHome", to force disable Wi-Fi sense and Location services, you would have to name it "ThisIsMyHome_optout_nomap"

Refference pages:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2951824/windows/how-to-disable-windows-10s-wi-fi-sense-password-sharing.html [Disable Wifi Sense]

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/1725632?hl=en [Disable Google Location Services]

Holy crap man! That is some great info, thanks!

I'm not really an IT guy, but I can follow that and thanks for the simple how to fix the router thing.

There's enough of my personal type info out there as it is. Don't need more floating around.

I've been "hacked" once. I don't care to have it happen again. I close as many holes as I can, when I can.....

He's handy to keep around. He cruises Slashdot.org everyday to learn new stuff. Which is where he found the info about the above problems. I'm glad this helped someone. We've been worried about folks upgrading to 10 when it became available.

Microsoft hit a home run with one. Win 10 is absolutely fantastic! I'm pretty sure that after Win 8 there's not much chance that MS is going to let Win 10 fail. I have found a couple of things that will require some improvement.

I also had a little difficulty getting the win 10 upgrade to start on 2 of my computers. One of them I had to "force" the update/download. But now it screams like a 1st Gen VR. I'm really impressed! This is what MS needed.

I loved Win8.1 but I have to admit that it did have some peculiarities about it that most people couldn't figure out and it got a really bad rap for it. Then aftermarket developers started jumping ship which resulted in very limited amount of apps that were available and supported.

But it looks like Win Tin Tin is going to be a hit.

Edited by yamagrl

Make sure that Automatic Updates are turned on and restart so that Windows is fully updated.

See if Win 10 has attempted to date. Go To Control panel>Windows update> Update history

If it has attempted but failed it will be listed and the result will show "failed"

If it failed then it is likely due to update KB2976978 either not being there at all or having not installed correctly. You should uninstall the update KB2876978 and restart. KB2976978 should reinstall. Check for it again in Update history.

Open Command Prompt (run as administrator) and type in wuauclt.exe/update now

KB2976978 should download and update and W10 should also.

Here is a link that will help. http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/windows-10-download-message-not-coming-how-check-force-install-1513266.

*** Note*** Whenever I delve into unknown territory I search (Google) the subject and see if I can find multiple sites that kinda tell me the same thing. That at least helps to convince me that the advice is probably ok.

There are other things that can be the problem but this seems to be the most likely cause.

Heather

Edited by yamagrl