IGNORED

2016 VentureRider International Rally Discussion

Freebird

I think that we need to have an honest discussion regarding any future International Rallies. At this point, I'm thinking about not having one at all. The reason is very simple. The past 3 or 4 have been very poorly attended. The various organizers spend a lot of time and poor their hearts into making these happen. If you have never helped organize one of these things, you have no idea how much work goes into it.

It seems that our regional meet and eats do better. Maybe we should concentrate more on those and forget about an International.

I'm going to leave it right there for now and let the discussion begin.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You are correct....the big event of the year continues to be maintenance day.

Just a thought...but if the International is dropped, can maintenance day be extended by a day or two? Keep one day for "maintenance" but have a day or two for socializing, organized rides. To offset your costs, you could charge a reasonable amount for "registration"/tshirts/dinner.

For example... start maintenance day on the Thursday for those that can/would show up early, organized rides on Friday and Saturday, Steak and Lube still on the Friday, maintenance day would be the Saturday for those that want assistance, dinner (either catered or at a restaurant on Saturday evening. The date could shift into late June or early July.

I have had the pleasure of attending 2 international rallies, last year the one in Alabama and the year before in Illinois. I had a great time at each one. My decision to attend comes to distance. I can usually only afford one travel day on either end. So For the AL meet it was about a 14 hour ride, for the IL meet it was more like 18 hours. Then I decided to take a different route home from IL and stupid me I followed my GPS and it ended up a 20 hour ride home. I applaud all those who sponsor these rallies and I know it is a lot of work. So I guess what I'm trying to say is if the rally is close enough I try to attend. But then this is a big country and I have to wait for a more of an east coast rally location. The regional rallies are great too. For me there is Vogel, Ashville and the WNY rallies. The only thing there is they all seem to be around the same time so each year I have to choose which one to attend. This year I decided on WNY which isn't too far of a ride. I wish I could make all three of the rallies near me, but I only have so much time off work. I just hope the rallies continue. VentureRider has one of the best group of people I have ever been associated with and enjoy every chance I get to be together with you all. Well that was just my 2 cents.

...My decision to attend comes to distance. ...

I think that is probably true for most members. Distance and time (how much vacation people have) are factors.

Freebird...maybe you should move to a place that is in the exact center of North America so everyone can attend? :-)

The above statements about time off work couldn't be more true for Mike and me. So far we have only been to 2 Vogel rallies, and the B2's fish fry last year. While I am the stay at home wife, Mike gets 3 weeks leave every year that have to be earned during the year. While we are registered to attend Vogel and plan to be there this year, there is a chance Mike's bosses may cancel his vacation he has scheduled to start Aug 10th. Most likely it won't happen that part of our vacation is helping out around his parent's house, and his bosses are well aware of his Dad's sudden declining health. I for one would love to attend Maintenance Day, International, Asheville, and WNY, but unlikely to ever have two we can do in the same year for a long time. But Vogel is something we look forward to every year since getting involved with VRO. Our plans are made in the off years lol.

We already have several regional rallies each year, plus a couple of maintenance days. I vote for dropping the IR and continue with regionals, meet and eats and maint. days. If someone wants to put something together, then have at it. If you plan it they will come.

I am not sure about other years' Internationals, but we have been to the one at the Hub (AR) in '09 I think (our first); to Potato Creek, IN (maybe '10); New York ('12); Galena, IL ('13); and St. Charles, MO ('15). We did miss the ones last year and the one out west in 2011. Of those, New York had a good attendance and also Galena, which I believe had a really good attendance, about 130-140. We always had a good time.

I do believe these are driven by distance to travel, so central locations were always a good choice. One of the problems we had for St. Charles was that although many people signed up to attend, several changed their minds but did not change the status on the calendar. So the ones hosting the event were planning for larger numbers than actually attended. This made the cost of the event higher. Also, the number of ticket sales for the trailer was pretty low this year. I believe we barely broke even, and that was after we sold more tickets at the event.

There is so much involved with hosting one of these, most of you have no idea. Don and I hosted a meet n eat at our home for 5 years and I believe it was less work than being involved with the international. Don't get me wrong here...hosting at one's home is VERY HARD WORK!!! As Freebird will attest to. There are just different aspects of planning at one's home instead of the International.

As Don and I start our travels in about 30 days, we look forward to meeting up with VR members across the US / Canada and perhaps attending more of the regional rallies / meet n eats.

If there is another International, I wish you all much luck. I don't think I would ever do that again. THAT is my 2 cents worth.

Patti

I got to say, it is hard work, planning setting everything up, ticket sales alot of time and effort of someone's personal time, I would love to attend one, but distance is a big factor for me, I don't wish to see the rallies stop, maybe now I'm just thinking, the next one could be voted on through a thread, on when, where, and what, therefore there is no confusion everyone could tell the best time for them and can start on that.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

Off the cuff cause Tip is BEGGING me to go pack Tweeks cause she is READY to become a Pie Butt 26.2 rider... Just wonder if a whole new idea for an International Rally may be in order before giving it up completely (hope I didnt misinterpret your intent of this thread Don - sorry if I did).. How about a Rally/Ride along the Canadian/US border - one end to the other!! Folks could join in at any point and leave at any point.. No sign up needed, each person responsible for their own sleeping/eating needs - motel, camp whatever.. Kind of a roaming rally in an effort to "bring" the Rally to as many International members as possible with the whole intent to give members a chance to meet each other along the trail...

Sounds crazy I am sure but its the first thing that popped into my mind.....

Very interesting thread... Back in a while...

PS - ditto on the THANK YOU PATTI FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK!! Sorry we couldnt make it but still wanted to say THANK YOU for your efforts..

You lost me

I was wondering what date on the calendar in what past year that the most people were all gathered together at the same location during an event called "the international rally"....hope this clears things up for ya Joe! lol

I was wondering what date on the calendar in what past year that the most people were all gathered together at the same location during an event called "the international rally"....hope this clears things up for ya Joe! lol

Understood that did not understand the "hole in the foot" but I can be slow sometimes.

IMHO, there is something about an "International" rally that meet & eats and maint. days just don't have. Calling on all members from anywhere and everywhere to attend just reaches out as a very special event for me anyway. I can't express how much I appreciate the hard work involved (something I couldn't do if my life depended on it!) and year long planning it takes to pull it off. The reason I joined VR in the first place was the Galena rally which was outstanding. The next in Ala. was great in it's own way, people make it that way. This year was even better with so many members that I had not met before. To lose this special event and reduce it to a small get togethers would be a shame.

I have to agree with others on dropping the International....It seems like the regionals do better because most people who attend the regionals are usually only a days ride away. I've noticed that these events have better attendance because they have been going on (in most cases) for several years and are usually held the same time or date of the year. They are run by the same members who have been running the event down to a science. They know the area for riding, attractions , and best restaurants, and find it easier to get help from local members...its is easy to get a few days off from work rather than a week or so when figuring in travel time...it also seems to me that the regional organizers strive to better their event each year.. just my 2 cents........

I'll answer a couple of the questions so far. As for starting a thread asking people to suggest a location and etc. I think we have done that every single year. The problem is that there is never a HUGE majority of one place over another and many just choose places that are a shorter distance for them. The biggest thing is that a LOT of people have good ideas but few ever step up to the plate and offer to organize it.

As for the highest attendance. I'm not 100% sure but it was probably Colorado Springs. We had a great crowd there.

At the NY international, our attendance was around 90 people give or take a few....never could get a really good count with everyone milling around...there is a group pic of all the bikes in front of PIONEER milling around somewhere..

No, you didn't say too much at all and your input is appreciated. They have been held various places. Arkansas, Wyoming, Colorado, Alabama, Indiana, New York, Illinois, Ontario Canada...... Probably missing some but that's a good sample.

So pretty much all around, not that my gorgeous royal star couldn't make it, well I get it, I would love to attend at least one someday, maybe I'm thinking something here in TX I can get to work as far as a gathering

so? am I to understand that having an event and calling it the international rally somehow takes something away from these well attended smaller better conducted meet and eat events?

does it cause someone that's not involved some type of harm?

if it's about funding or borrowing, it's simple.. we keep it dutch treat.

if it's about a prize cost and loss?? don't buy nothing!

I go to the events to see the folks and share the b/s

the rides in locations that are different are a bonus, not a requirement.

take your time and answer one or all or none........ just wondering what it's really about?