IGNORED

Remove tank or split fairing to clean stereo connection

uncledj

Figure that this weekend I'll get my 06 RSV ready for Summer. lol.

I need to install the fancy schmancy gps that the wife got me for Christmas, and correct the problem I've been having with the stereo cutting out.

I remember reading that there's a mold plug that commonly needs cleaned to correct the stereo problem, but I can't remember where it is.

Do I simply pull the tank, or do I have to split the fairing to get to it...??? I'll probably run a separate 12v power source for the new GPS while I'm at it.

Any suggestions on where to tap power? I was thinking of going straight to the battery, which should be ok, but adds the risk of forgetting that the GPS is on and killing the battery.

Input anxiously awaited.

:confused24:

Edited by uncledj
double word

The radio connections are under the fairing. When I added my GPS I put a six fuse block in under the seat just above the battery. I used this block to power the GPS and driving lights and a couple other things and used relays to all so that I could use a keyed switch to operate the relay. If you are just going to install the GPS you could use any keyed wire under the fairing to keep it from draining your battery. The GPS should only draw about 2 amps

If you have one of my by-pass relays I can tell you which wire is "key on" and you can tap into it. Other wise maybe the power for the passing lights under the fairing. Or under the seat there is a white connector that is key on power. Easiest without the by-pass is probably yhe aux plug under the fairing. Just run a wire with a piggy back 1/4" connector

I set my gps mount so it always has power. I take the gps off any time I park it. Figure that way if for some reason the battery on the gps is empty I can be parked with the bike off and listen to music or find my way home.

I have a 6 gang fuse block under my seat and one in the fairing. I'm not using all the fuse block connections but I don't like having all the clutter of wires under the seat - been there, done that, bought an extra fuse block.

As mentioned, to turn off power to the gps mount, a simple relay connected to keyed power will work.

one other thing....if you run power from the battery to a fuse block in the fairing you'll need to take the gas tank off - easier with a low fuel level. There are wire "trays" under the tank you can run the power wire thru to keep everything nice and clean.

If you have one of my by-pass relays I can tell you which wire is "key on" and you can tap into it. Other wise maybe the power for the passing lights under the fairing. Or under the seat there is a white connector that is key on power. Easiest without the by-pass is probably yhe aux plug under the fairing. Just run a wire with a piggy back 1/4" connector[/quote

I do have one of your bypass relays, but that's one of the things I'm planning on installing while the tank's off. As far as using the aux plug, that should be easy enough...don't like the 1/4" spade connector though. I kinda lean towards splicing, and soldering, then using shrink tubing.

I don't know that I'll need the auxiliary fuse block though. I'm not planning on adding any other loads, but if /when I end up setting it up to pull a trailer, I'll probably go with the fuseblock / relays then.

I found a pretty detailed breakdown of fairing removal. Seems pretty straightforward. I hope cleaning the mold plug does it for me. It's pretty frustrating when I'm jammin' to Katie Perry (lol) and the stereo cuts out / in / out.:mad:

One thought when putting fairing back together. Seat the screws first before tightening them. You may have to wiggle the fairing to get the screws to thread.

Other that that, it's a very easy procedure. Once off, lots of room to do things....like add LED's instead of reflectors using Dion's wiring kits! (shameless plug) Grins!

david

I made some of the by-pass with the key on aux wire. it should be a wire off the blue wire in the relay. You can tap into that wire and draw power. If you use the piggy back connector off the cig plug I dont think you would have any problems. Good luck if you need anything I can help with drop a note.