IGNORED

Passenger backrest

Here is the problem:

Wifemate loves the adjustable backrest on the 1st Gen. She is small and has a bad back...and enjoys leaning back a bit.

Unfortunately, In the 2nd Gen, Yamaha left that feature on the design room floor.

Oberservation:

I took the back rest off...3 screws and one bolt in center. Looks to me like I could use a router type tool and give the three screws a short fore/aft channel to slide in.

Would need less than an half inch I would think to allow the unit to be "forced" backwards to achieve a slight lean. However, I would have to shave off some plastic on the backrest center bolt standoff to allow movement backwards. I'm a bit timid about shaving off plastic not knowing what is under there or how thick it might not be....SO......decided against that for the moment. Thinking I could also add padding in lower part of backrest and reduce it on top part to give the backrest a "lean angle" as well.....but have never worked on this type stuff. Maybe when Mr. Butler is better he can be talked into modifying my backrest!

1ST Solution attempt:

Rather than drill, route out the top of the trunk, I decided to put a couple of washers on the center bolt so it would lift up the bottom of the backrest a tad more than 1/8inch. Just enough purchase left on the bolt to allow the washers and nut to tighten. This, in effect, pushes the bottom of the backrest up just a touch...leaning the backrest back a tad. Guess if I want more, I can go with a thinner washer. Don't think the thin plastic on the trunk lid will crack with the slight pressure. The 3 screws fit back in fine so everything "feels" like I did something right!

We shall see if that helps any. Be a few weeks until we get to ride again....and then I'll know.

david

Edited by videoarizona
add thought

IIRC you can move the trunk back an inch on the 2nd gen. Don't recall how, just that there are two sets of allen head bolts on each side of the inside of the trunk with three holes each...

and yes, the ABS will crack if you torque it too much.

When I had my bike the wife wanted the same effect of the leaning back angle. Besides moving the trunk back I added spacers to the front trunk mounting bolts. Effectively changing the angle of the backrest. When you do this it would be best to add a large support area between the spacers & the abs trunk. I used stainless steel sheet metal for the entire bottom.

Larry

When I had my bike the wife wanted the same effect of the leaning back angle. Besides moving the trunk back I added spacers to the front trunk mounting bolts. Effectively changing the angle of the backrest. When you do this it would be best to add a large support area between the spacers & the abs trunk. I used stainless steel sheet metal for the entire bottom.

Larry

So Larry..in essence...you tilted the whole trunk back? If yes, I understand and agree...a good solid brace underneath would be perfect. Thanks!

David