IGNORED

Need one valve shim. 25mm by 260 or 262

Hey folks:

Checked all my valves and end up needing one shim I do not have. I can trade shims under valves and purchase a 5 pack of 265s.

However I need one 260 or can use one 262. Will be putting seven of 270 into Buddy Rich's kit.

Will also check local dealer in the morning. One shim cannot be too bad.

J.B.

Floresville, Texas

just looked. Got just about everything around that, 255, 265, 270, 235. figures right? Depending on what kind of dealer you have close buy the shims fit a number of different types bikes. Honda CBX CB1100f Yamaha fj1100 & 1200

I will try to remember to check my stock when I get home tonight. I know I have a pile of leftover shims from having just done mine.

If desperation sets in, I have a surface grinder and can make any size you need.

I'm glad someone chirped up. So If we have say an over abundance of 300 shims can they be resurfaced to something more usable. I dont know seems the 280 to 165 range comes to mind.

Bought what I needed. Got a bag of 5 of the 265 and a bag of the 260 coming. Found them from a place in Austin, Texas. They only sell the refill packages so will have a few left over. Yamaha shop had a huge bin of 280 and up. Full of dust. Did spot a place selling genuine ones for a bit over $10.00 but they do not stock them. The one mechanic tossed me a 262 that I can use in a pinch. It puts me in the tighter acceptable range.

JB

I'm glad someone chirped up. So If we have say an over abundance of 300 shims can they be resurfaced to something more usable. I dont know seems the 280 to 165 range comes to mind.

Since the shims are case hardened I would not want to take off much more than .1mm (.004 in). Any more than that and the case could be getting thin and I would worry about them holding up in use. So your abundance of 300s could go down to 290 ish safely?

I do not know what the thickness of the case is on these shims. Case hardening is normally .010 to .030 thick. These shims were hardened before the factory ground them to final size. I do not have a good way to measure the remaining case thickness. Some may have a lot more case left than others.

• 5 years later...
Hey folks:

Checked all my valves and end up needing one shim I do not have. I can trade shims under valves and purchase a 5 pack of 265s.

However I need one 260 or can use one 262. Will be putting seven of 270 into Buddy Rich's kit.

Will also check local dealer in the morning. One shim cannot be too bad.

J.B.

Floresville, Texas

Hey J.B.

I have a 84 Venture, sure could use five of those 270s If you can give directions on how to get them. I have five 285s . I am new to the site. Not to good at navigating just yet.

R.R.

Gray Ga.

Hey J.B.

I have a 84 Venture, sure could use five of those 270s If you can give directions on how to get them. I have five 285s . I am new to the site. Not to good at navigating just yet.

R.R.

Gray Ga.

You responded to a thread that is 5 years old. lonestarmedic is no longer on the member list.