IGNORED

HJC Modular Helmet

Does anybody here use a HJC IS-MAX-2 Modular Helmet? I am looking at one right know, any pros or cons?:confused07:
I bought one and used it for a couple of years then bought another one to use for a passenger or as a spare. Won't say they are the best helmet available but they are excellent for a relatively low price. The one I have used all day, everyday for 5 years is still in good shape. Nothing broke on it but after 4 years the side cams/attachment for the chin piece wore out so the face plate would fall down in a wind and the chin piece would also drop when hitting a small bump. Replaced the cams and it's all good. The sun shield is not dark enough but that is a common complaint but that might be a DOT thing. Bought a spare liner so there would always be a clean one to swap out. The inside foam of the helmet is shaped for a round head and I have an oval head so there was a pressure point on my forehead until I removed a tiny amount of foam in that area.

Had a full face Arai before the HJC and it was was quite a bit lighter but that would be expected. It was also much quieter than the HJC but again, probably more to do with modular design than anything else. The cooling holes in the top are useful at highway speeds but not so much below 40 mph. Can't talk about fogging up the face shield because I never put it down below my nose. The HJC comes with D-rings which suck but I got a bayonet closure so problem solved.

Considering I have worn the helmet for 5 years, 7 hours a day, 5 days a week at work plus whatever for commuting, grocery shopping and fun trips, it has stood up very well. I will most likely get another one when this one has had the biscuit.

I just purchased two of them w/J&M speakers built in. Only used them once so far and was surprised at the comfort. They are about 5 ounces heavier then the Nolan 104 but still ok. very little wind noise and the ventilation could be just a tad better. However the lack of ventilation could have been caused by my new, taller windshield which significantly cut down on the air flow.

I will be testing these this week as i'm heading on a vacation and MUST wear helmets where I'll be riding.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I have had mine for a couple of years, and I like it! Especially since Nov. 1 when I went down and put some major scrapes on the helmet and face shield. If I had not changed to the helmet that morning, I have no doubt that there would have been some severe road rash on my face. (I had been wearing my HJC 3/4 helmet for the hot months here in Vegas.DSC_0420.jpg