IGNORED

2007 Yamaha Royal Star Midnight Venture

Howdy folks, brand new here but I've been lurking and reading for a while. I just sold my Vmax yesterday and I'm torn between buying an FJR and a 2007 Royal Star Midnight Venture with approximately 40K miles. I've noted the potential issues that these bikes have with whine and rear shocks and was wondering if someone could give me a quick synopsis of what else I might have to check out on this bike. Probably won't be going to see it until mid-week. Oh yeah, and I'm 5'8" 155lbs. Can someone of my stature handle a bike of this magnitude? I've been riding for over 25 years but this would be by far the heaviest bike I'll have ever owned. Mostly concerned about how it it handles backing out of a parking spot, seat height etc. Is reverse an available add-on?

Try to get the service records from the PO. Has the maintenance been kept up? Condition of tires and brakes? Year of battery? Other should pipe in ! I am 5.11 and the seat is just right for me, but beware these are top heavy. You can get a lowering kit (check to see if it has one) or get the seat reformed to lower the seating position. Heavy bike to pull and push and no reverse available.

They are a little top heavy and low speed maneuvering takes some getting used to...

As a former Midnight Venture owner who's 5'10" and 150lbs I never did get "used to" that top heaviness at low speeds and it was even worse for me when riding 2-up (which was most of the time). I changed the front tire to a 130 and installed the leveling links ... that helped a lot but not enough. After 3 years I decided the only resolve was to change to a different bike so I bought an '03 Wing. Night and day difference. Now I'm riding a Victory CCT ... same thing. Extremely easy to handle at any speed.

Not meaning to discourage you on your purchase ... just stating the facts from my perspective. Other than that, the RSMV is a great motorcycle.

As a former Midnight Venture owner who's 5'10" and 150lbs I never did get "used to" that top heaviness at low speeds and it was even worse for me when riding 2-up (which was most of the time). I changed the front tire to a 130 and installed the leveling links ... that helped a lot but not enough. After 3 years I decided the only resolve was to change to a different bike so I bought an '03 Wing. Night and day difference. Now I'm riding a Victory CCT ... same thing. Extremely easy to handle at any speed.

Not meaning to discourage you on your purchase ... just stating the facts from my perspective. Other than that, the RSMV is a great motorcycle.

Thanks for your reply. This is my concern as there's nothing worse than not being able to back your bike out or dropping it in front of a crowd. My wife wants to ride but she wants to ride in total comfort and decent GW's are pricy. I'll check it out and see how it feels. The Vmax was a heavy bike at 650lbs but it had a wide Corbin seat and I couldn't flat foot the bike.

Thanks for your reply. This is my concern as there's nothing worse than not being able to back your bike out or dropping it in front of a crowd. My wife wants to ride but she wants to ride in total comfort and decent GW's are pricy. I'll check it out and see how it feels. The Vmax was a heavy bike at 650lbs but it had a wide Corbin seat and I couldn't flat foot the bike.

Yes, you will have to experience it to really know. For the most part I could handle it ... but it took effort and concentration. Something to consider which might have been an effect for me is depth perception. Mine isn't as good as it should be and this can contribute to imbalance. Another thing that probably contributed to my struggles with that bike is age ... I'm well into my 60's and no where near the strength I had when I was 40 or even 50. In my 50's I had an '85 Venture. Another top heavy bike but I had no problems man-handling it then.

Times when I would struggle are;

Coming to a stop at an intersection. If the road surface was irregular, I had to focus on balancing the bike and coming to a full stop first before I could check traffic, etc. Not an issue with the Vic.

Making a tight turn at low speed in places like a gas station or making quick turns. I'm not afraid to admit I wasn't comfortable with that and therefore could not do them very well. Again, not an issue with the Vic.

Backing out of my driveway onto the street. Hardly any incline at all however, the concrete was old and slightly broken up and irregular. Plus there was the curb.

While stopped I was unable to comfortably hold the bike with my left leg while keeping my right foot on the brake.

Had it not been for that one thing, I'd probably still be riding that '06 as it was a beautiful bike, I'd put a lot into making it my own, and my wife loved it. It did have the clutch basket whine but I could have lived with that. That said, I simply can't be happier with my current ride and the wife loves it too ... just not as much as the Venture.

Go ride one ... test it under various conditions and do it with a passenger too ... only then will you know if it's something you can handle.

Good Luck!

As Dion said, lowering the front forks is free and results in lowering the overall height of the bike...as well as makes the handling much easier.

Other thoughts:

Don't back up. I've found with a little thinking on the fly, I can park in areas where If I have to back up...gravity is my friend. Keep right hand on brake and left her roll back slowly. Easy. In times when I got stuck...someone (including one lady rider) would come over and help. Don't be embarrassed...you are riding a very heavy scoot! As far as dropping in a crowd...if you haven't, you will....guess what? We've all done that. We know! Do it and watch how many guys will come to help!

U-Turns. Once I got my front tire replaced, it was time to practice slow speed stuff. If you know the "rules" about slow speed riding....turning your head, feathering the clutch and riding the rear brake...the turns come easy with practice. Practice I did. Then I went out and rode my 1st Gen 89 Royale. I used to be scared stiff riding that since it's even more top heavy...but what a hoot to zing that monster around after riding the 2nd Gen! Now everything has "clicked" into place and I'm finding riding the 2nd Gen RSV is easy as well. Practice works.

I don't focus on balancing anymore...if I did..I would wobble to a stop. I relax, plan my stop and do it. Every time. Keeping your head up and not looking down is the main key to stopping without losing balance. Especially on those stops where you will be turning right and have to look over your left shoulder for traffic. I now plan my stop....I stop, then turn head to check traffic. Rolling stops in those situations always got me in trouble, balance wise. So I don't do it!

Same applies for slow heavy traffic. I found I'm really wobbly if I think about going 10 feet and stopping, over and over. Now I keep my head up...looking way ahead and move forward. It's such a simple thing, but for some reason works! I took the safety course 4 years ago for grins....I learned and re-learned a lot. One of the keys was to slow ride a long straight line. No one could do it, not even me with years of riding behind me. Instructor suggested I look at the picnic table at the end of the line. I did...and went all the way down the line, straight, without a problem. Your head turns and where you are looking make all the difference in slow riding.

I now ride the 2nd Gen RSV with lady on back and am comfortable. Seriously. I feel good having her back there.

BTW,

1: I bought my 05 RSV only 5 weeks ago....

2: I'm an old phart - 67 years young

3: 30 inch inseam on a shrinking bod.

If I can do it...you can. If it's the right bike for you, you will love the ride. If not, it will be more than just the heaviness of the bike.

Last (sorry about this long post), You will need different bars or at least 1 1/2inch to 2 inch risers as your reach might not be comfortable for you. I have 1.5 inch risers.

You will need good, tall boots with at least 1 inch soles. I found 2 pair and they make a huge difference in putting my feets down!

If the deal looks good, and you like the scoot, don't let the fear of being heavy stop you. You can do this....but will have to make some riding changes to accommodate the bike.

Hope this helps...

david

Thank you so much for your post videoarizona. The seller emailed me detailed pics last night and it is beautiful, going to pick it up this week. I will be adjusting the front forks and will evaluate tire replacement once I see the actual condition and age of the skins on the bike. Also considering the Butt Butler seat mod but I know I won't want to be without the bike for two weeks. We've agreed on what I think is a very good price for the bike but I'm curious, what would you all consider prices for these to be say, ok, decent, good, and you stole it? I saw a 99 sell this week on eBay with 69,500 miles for $3000. Considering book values, condition, etc I just want to make sure I'm doing well.

I rode 2up on the Vmax and it was okay but they have an issue with wandering sometimes and I could only get the balls of my feet on the ground. Seems like riding the big boys takes a little thought about what you're doing. Easiest bike I ever had to ride was my 1985 HRC RS250R. Light as hell and handled like it was on rails. Many bikes since then but no highway tractors. I'm already in lust with the black and chrome monster soon to inhabit my garage and will spend all day Saturday micro detailing it, servicing it, and learning how everything works. Then it's time to ride!!!

So I picked up the bike tonight and although much in need of a bath, it is in good clean condition. It turned out to be an 06 (on the title) and has 33,300 miles. At close inspection the brakes were good and the rear shock is not leaking. I took it for a ride and there was some of the "whine" present but to me it seemed more like a whistle, more present on decel. There was nothing wrong with the bike that would make me want to walk on the deal. Stereo works, cruise works, and the lights work. The front brake seemed a bit spongy to me, definitely feels like it should hit harder (I got cut off by a van on the way home and had to make a panic slow down on the highway) and the lever isn't firm enough. Keep in mind I'm comparing the bike to my Vmax that I was riding on Sunday.

So here are the first impressions after a 45 mile ride home with a stop for dinner. I was way overreacting to the size of the bike. I can flat foot it at a stop and other than the front brakes being weird, stops were not a problem. Parking lot maneuvers will take some getting used to but I plan to lower the front end by an inch to help with that. The bike has Bridgestone tires that are about 50% worn so when they're gone I'll put something better on. I don't really dig the speedo, it's hitchy and I keep looking at the kilometers. The radio controls kind of suck. Need to figure out how to seek and adjust stations better. It just wants to go through the presets. I like the luggage and the trunk has plenty of room for my full face helmet. The bike was hot down by my ankles and I had to hang on the hwy pegs just to cool off. At highway speeds the bike is rock solid, and ramps are fun as it stays on a line really well. I didn't get the intercom stuff so I don't know if that or the CB works. The engine is somewhat anemic compared to the Max and the stock exhaust is just too meh. The driver's backrest is useless to me unless I get some bar risers.

This weekend I plan to detail strip the bike to clean and polish every square inch. I might get to lowering it but not sure. Need to change the oil, bleed the brakes, and polish the windshield. Other than that it's time to get to know my new girl.

My speedo is hitchy too....don't know what the problem is...yet.

Download the manual from this site unless you have one..info in there on radio and audio tuning. Easy once you wrap your head around the controls...

The engine may feel anemic compared to the Max...but don't forget...it's basically the same engine and loves to rev...but a much heavier scoot.

HD stock pipes give a nice low rumble without being to loud.

Keep the backrest...get the risers....you'll be thankful you did.

Glad to hear the rest went well!

Welcome to the group!

On the front brake lever (and clutch), see if the hand levers pivot points need some WD40 care. Sometimes mine will get a little stiff, especially if I have ridden in the rain. Just keep a rag on it when you do.

I have a 29" inseam and had the front of my RSV lowered. The rear was lowered but after doing the front, I went put the stock links back on the rear. I did have the seat modified (cut down) first, and within months the seat lost all comfort.

If height adjustment is needed, suggest lowering the front 1"- 1.25". Going the full 1.5" may bottom out on the fender in pot holes.

Found a pair of brand new mufflers of off a 2014 Street Glide locally for $20 that I'm picking up on Saturday. Hopefully I can make them fit and they sound decent enough. If not I'll be cutting the the OEM pipes as per the OE pipe mod. I'm certain that I'll be lowering the front end, it's just a matter of when. Probably be this weekend as well, especially if the front fairing has to come apart to do the job. Now the fun begins, trying to figure out how everything comes apart!!! I'm anal and usually clean, polish and wax everything in pieces anyways. Can't take any pics until she's gleaming.

• 1 month later...

LOL, when i first bought my 99 RSV i thought there was something wrong with the suspension because of the low speed handling. I played with tire pressure a bit and got used to the feel eventually, but then I've owned two first gens. I'm 5'9" and about 140, with a 32" inseam. I'm careful where I park. No, I mean really careful. Two months and haven't had to get help backing her yet, but it'll happen. I had to tiptoe the first gens backing and slipped up several times. I can flat foot this one.

Howdy folks, brand new here but I've been lurking and reading for a while. I just sold my Vmax yesterday and I'm torn between buying an FJR and a 2007 Royal Star Midnight Venture with approximately 40K miles. I've noted the potential issues that these bikes have with whine and rear shocks and was wondering if someone could give me a quick synopsis of what else I might have to check out on this bike. Probably won't be going to see it until mid-week. Oh yeah, and I'm 5'8" 155lbs. Can someone of my stature handle a bike of this magnitude? I've been riding for over 25 years but this would be by far the heaviest bike I'll have ever owned. Mostly concerned about how it it handles backing out of a parking spot, seat height etc. Is reverse an available add-on?

I recently bought an RSV and still have an 88 Royale. The wife says she's just as comfortable on the RSV and to me, I feel like I'm riding a much more comfortable bike.

Have a friend who's owned RSV for over 3 years now. He's the same height as you. He rode mine and noticed he could plant his feet flat on the ground, unlike his where he couldn't.

He had air in his shocks, mine didn't. He just always had air in his shocks because his wife travels with him and he thought he needed it.

I've owned just about every make out there, and personally, they've all got their issues and advantages, but we travel a lot and this is one of the most comfortable bikes I've ever ridden.

I'm 6'3" and 205 lbs. and yes, I dumped my RSV last week backing up on a slight incline with my handlebars turned to the right. Just happened, but nothing was even scratched (except the crash bars).

The crash bars work so my advice is buy it, and if it starts to dump, let it go!

Good luck!

BB, I came from a line of smaller bikes and was concerned about moving from a 600 pound to 800 pound scoot. A friend who rides a HD Ultra (800 pounds) said just ride carefully for a while...you will get used to it. He finally convinced me to ride his Ultra. I did that and was surprised at how easy it was to ride. Well...I'm inseam challenged as well since I'm shrinking with age...and now find riding both the 89 and the 05 to be easy. Yes I will always have to pay attention to how I stop on hills and hilly lots, but I can do this. So can you. Do you want to go fast or cruise...your choice. If you like the scoot...go for it!

I've been enjoying the bike but mostly solo these days. Limited riding due the nature of our rainy season. It's getting better at slow speeds although I still catch myself getting unstable if I have the bars turned creeping forward. Now I just need to get the wife on the back and become more comfortable with a wiggly worm behind me.