IGNORED

Mounting a Go Pro

Dale124

Hi all. As Venture West approaches, I am trying to get prepared for the awesome roads we will be hitting. I got a Go Pro for Christmas this year for my bike, but I have not mounted it to the bike yet. I'm not sure where to mount it, or how. For those of you that have the Go Pro mounted, where did you put it, and how?

thanks

Dale.

Not much choice on a 2nd gen. I mounted mine on my 1st gen on the handlebars and that worked well. On the VStar 950. I tried both the handlebars and the engine guard. Handlebars were better.

For my 2nd Gen...I'm thinking my helmet unless I can find a way to mount it to the inside of the windshield in center. But the only other place I could find is the engine guard. Would prefer handlebars but would need to buy a RAM mount so I could swivel the camera.....and don't want to spend any more $$ since I've already got lots of mounts for the GoPro since I used it for work as a teeny cam.....it was great for cutaway shots.

No clear choice for me!

david

I mount my Drift camera using a RAM suction cup mount. http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-224-1U

With it I can move it to different locations. Front of the fairing, saddle bag side, trunk side. It holds very strongly. But I do have a cord connected to the mount and the bike at all times in case it releases. I've ridden hundreds of miles with it in place.

Dennis

• 5 months later...

Helmet mount here. I use a contour 1080p HD though. This is not my helmet, but mine is mounted the same (even had the sena on the LH side too):

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m23/acalliste/Gear/f5cef851.jpg

It's great for showing a riders perspective when on the helmet, which is what I want to look at after I've filmed it.

I think a go pro anywhere in my helmet would drive me nuts....big square and boxy. I find the contour a much better match for helmet mount, but each person has their own preference.

image.jpg

I'm a big fan of chin bar mount. Tends to make a shakier video but captures things that I see rather than just in front of the bike. Audio is easily routed in the helmet and pics up sounds from the motorcycle well also. Pictured is my older hero 2 but now the later models are smaller and a whole lot lighter so it's barely noticed. I have been trying a few different mounting locations but this is what I feel makes for a more enjoyable video.

i have a few samples of bike side mount, top mount on helmet (aka teletubby style), front chin bar mount, and handle bar selfie mount. I even put one on my wife's helmet to see what it was like to be the passenger :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsdWdgftzw7IhrDX-hiVHyw

Hi all. As Venture West approaches, I am trying to get prepared for the awesome roads we will be hitting. I got a Go Pro for Christmas this year for my bike, but I have not mounted it to the bike yet. I'm not sure where to mount it, or how. For those of you that have the Go Pro mounted, where did you put it, and how?

thanks

Dale.

Dale,

you have a few options and that's based on what type of mounts you have. If you have the suction cup, which seems like it will fall off but it won't, you can use either inside, outside of windshield. Or, on the fender. If you have a clamp with or without the gooseneck extender, you can place on crash bars, or passenger arm rest or foot pegs. If you have the 3m sticker, again, the fenders or saddlebags or helmet. My suggestion is to experiment before you go out to venture west. I learned last month on the fly in Bryson city, and Maggie valley with the mountains when I was with Eck and Konnie. It was interesting how each worked, but had its own ways of recording. Keep us posted...

Well, I did finally find an acceptable spot on the bike to put it, but sadly, it was only a few weeks ago, long after Venture West had come and gone. I wish I found this spot earlier. I hate the look of Go Pros on a helmet, so that option was out. I tried many configurations on the handlebars, but it would not clear the fairing enough (half of the image was the back side of my fairing and windshield). So, I finally attached it to the flat clear wind deflector that is mounted on the forks. This is not the most convenient spot for operating it, but gives me a nice clear shot of the road ahead. I also have it tethered to the bike just in case the stick on mount decides to let go. I have taken a couple of videos with it now, just to test, so I now await the next time I get to go to somewhere scenic, which will be next year.

Dale