IGNORED

1984 venture clutch plunger leaking

I have a 84 venture with I believe the plunger in the handle leaking. Is there an easy fix for this, or best to

find a replacement or new plunger? The cover over this area has a bolt with the head and nut both submerged

into the handle(neither end sticking out to take off). Feeling stupid, anyone ever take this bolt off to replace

clutch plunger unit????? or just undo whole unit of handle bar and replace all??

Thanks

You can buy a repair kit for the clutch master cylinder. Typical one at http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-YAMAHA-FAZER-FZ750-VMAX-FJ1200-XVZ12-XVZ13-CLUTCH-MASTER-CYLINDER-KIT-/191572229480?fits=Model%3AVenture+Royale&hash=item2c9a983d68&vxp=mtr

As for removing the master cylinder it's easier to remove it to the bench to work on. The lever needs to be removed , single bolt to remove and them remove the banjo bolt holding the hose, Don't lose the brass gasket/ washers on both ends of the hose connection. The hard part ( for me) was removing the internal snap ring that holds the plunger assembly in place , it located where the lever handle sticks into the body.

Make sure to keep the brake fluid off the painted surfaces of the bike as it will eat the paint. I normally put an garbage over the surface under the cylinder. If you do get any on the painted surface rinse it good with water before it does any damage.

I have a 84 venture with I believe the plunger in the handle leaking. Is there an easy fix for this, or best to

find a replacement or new plunger? The cover over this area has a bolt with the head and nut both submerged

into the handle(neither end sticking out to take off). Feeling stupid, anyone ever take this bolt off to replace

clutch plunger unit????? or just undo whole unit of handle bar and replace all??

Thanks

I believe the cover you are speaking of is the black plastic lever cover. Simply spread it and remove it from the assembly. It just snaps over the lever pivot bolt. Number 39 on this illustration.

Untitled.jpg

You think the 'plunger' is leaking? Is brake fluid leaking externally? Or do you suspect the master cylinder plunger is leaking internally? Thus not applying hydraulic pressure to the slave?

Be very careful working with brake fluid around the Venture, especially when working on either of the handlebar master cylinders. Spilled brake fluid will not only ruin the paint, it will destroy the ABS plastic that is used extensively on the Venture. In addition to the painted parts, all the black plastic visible on the upper part of the fairing, the radio console, the CLASS console, etc. is ABS. Cover with a soft cloth, then cover that with plastic and then cover that with cloth. Seems overkill, but if you have ever experienced the destruction of the Venture plastic due to unnoticed brake fluid spillage as I have, then it is worth the trouble.

Just so you understand, the clutch hydraulic fluid is BRAKE fluid, same as in the brake hydraulics.