IGNORED

Polaris Slingshot

I finally had a decent day to take a couple pics of my new Slingshot. Currently I have just over 1k on the odometer and enjoying even mile of it. Yesterday we installed a roof top for extra shade on hot days. There may even be a luggage option for the top in the future on our road trips.

Larry

100_6381 (Small).jpg

100_6382 (Small).jpg

100_6383 (Small).jpg

100_6384 (Small).jpg

I tried finding a dealer who had one to look at. No luck! I wanted to see their luggage capacity. What can you actually put in the space(s). Do you have any photos of the luggage space, what will fit inside? Hannah and I like the looks of the Slingshot but if it's a "one day " ride that would not be for us.

Saw a Slingshot last Sunday and I know why you wanted one so bad. The trike has been an excellent addition to my stable. My wife and I went on a 200 mile ride yesterday. I will be taking it to Rolling Thunder this year and we are making a few summer trips on it. Congrats on your new ride.

I tried finding a dealer who had one to look at. No luck! I wanted to see their luggage capacity. What can you actually put in the space(s). Do you have any photos of the luggage space, what will fit inside? Hannah and I like the looks of the Slingshot but if it's a "one day " ride that would not be for us.

I looked for a capacity rating but couldn't find anything other than storage will fit standard sized back packs. I did a rough measurement of the storage bins (they're behind the seats) and got approximately 12 wide x 18 high x 16 deep. Depth varies by height as there is more at the top than the bottom due to the bodies taper. Also the drivers side loses a bit at the bottom as a battery is located to one side. It's accessible from the outside so no concerns making contact with stored items. Doors are lockable as is the big glove box. For trips people are adding mc sissy bar bags to the roll hoops. At this time no one has offered a trailer hitch for these machines thou there is at least one vendor is testing a prototype but hasn't marketed it yet.The vendor who built my roof top is also going to offer some sort of luggage capacity.

Steve I'm happy you're enjoying the trike. I would have loved to have kept it but couldn't justify doing that due to garage space and income limitations. I have missed riding it too.

Larry

Yea I'd equate capacity of the storage bins to about the sizes of large saddle bags. You lose the trunk space but gain a bit back having the glove box. So totals are smaller than a RSV. Here's a couple quick examples I found. One guy even had bags twice the sizes of these.

Hey FlynFool you just know Ole Puc would utilize that roof to lash down his gear.

Larry

3BUXX and two Bags.jpg

Sissy bar bags on SS.jpg

Soft bags on side panels of SS.jpg

Roof top luggage option on SS.png

Edited by Carbon_One

I'll bet Ol @cowpuc could strap gear all over that thing......:scared:

Hey @Flyinfool, thank you thank you THANK YOU for """" me to the thread, and thanks @Freebird for providing that service!!!! I would have NEVER found this thread without it!! By the way,, your right Fool - storage area - NO PROBLEMO!!:big-grin-emoticon:

Larry,, Larry Larry Larry,, someday when I grow up I wanna be blest with that same creative, talent that you got blest with!! THAT is GORGEOUS my friend!! When looking at the Orange one at Babbitts I told the Salesmen that one of the problems folks were going to run into was - dah,,,, NO TOP.. Of course, his response, its a motorcycle.. I said yea, BUT,, it has SO much potential!! I also told him that I had a hunch that a particluar demographic (people who have never spent time on a two wheeled bike in the elements) of his sales were gonna be shocked when discovered how forboding just having the sun beat down on you can be - much getting caught in the rain or what ever!! Larry,, YOU are one of my hero's brother and I LOVE your work and your Slingshot!! :thumbsup:

Because I love you and Joyce, I have something else I wanna share with you.. While looking at the SS at Babbits, I also noticed how flexible the windshield was. I also notice how low the front end sat and how it scoops upward.

I cant get even come close to getting an idea of opening sizes between the roof and hood - maybe I am way off in la la land even writing this but I will write it anyway... Years ago I had a deer jump out of nowhere while riding a snowmobile. Tip had been that same sled the night before but thankfully she was not with me this time. I just caught a glimps of the deer as she landed from a jump directly in my path. The slope of the front of the sled carried her up the hood (I instantly ducked down) and across the side of my helmet. After tossing pieces of fiberglass aside and straightening out the plugs enough to get it to start I headed home. When I got home I found deer hair in the visor of my Helmet but I also noticed that the backrest on the sled was absolutely destroyed - the deer had full impacted it - thankfully Tip was not back there cause her chest would have been in front of that backrest..

When noticing the shield and the hood angle on the SS, I mentioned to the sales guy that the possibilty for the people inside of an SS appeared to face those same challenges - being the ones in front of that backrest I was talking about - only in their case, they have no escape.. The salesmen said "thats all part of biking".. Looking at what you have done Larry (BEAUTIFUL), I wonder if attaching a windshield to the your tops forward arms would help in what I am suggesting.. Just a little extra encouragement for one to follow the flow of those arms and go up and over instead of coming inside.. :missingtooth:

I know some will read all that and say,, what da heck Puc,, its no skin off your nose.. Well,, tell ya what,, when it comes to skin off my friends nose - it is skin off my nose,, way I feel about it:big-grin-emoticon:..

THAT IS AWESOME LARRY - JUST AWESOME:clap2::clap2::thumbsup:, CAN NOT WAIT TO SEE IT!!!!:fingers-crossed-emo

Puc you're right about the low angled hood on the Slingshot. Heaven forbid anyone plays tag with them deer. I don't think the outcome to be very pretty. It has been mentioned on the slingshot forum putting a taller windshield with the roof top would help in that regard. Not sure I want a taller shield thou as I can look over the stock one fine. F-4 offers a +3 and a +5" taller shield. A +3 would put the top edge directly in my line of vision while a +5 would force me to look thru it. With the stock shield in place there's 9" between it and the roll bar. I will get a F-4 shield eventually as they build in a curved lip near the top to direct air up and over the driver/passenger.

I've yet to see the SL Limited orange model. My dealer has sold over 20 of these machines so far. Getting them out the door as soon as they arrive it seems.

Larry

BTW: I do thank you for your safety concerns for us as we do yours when you're out following that front wheel.

• 1 month later...
HHmmm, no mention of how fast that baby has been (so far)....

I've only bumped the Speedo to about 90 passing some slower cars a couple of times. Hardly any effort to do that. Reported by other owners it should see 130-135 in 4th gear. 5th is too highly geared overdrive much like the Ventures. Adding a turbo will bump horsepower from stock 170 to 300 easily. No idea what top end would be then thou. Also reported is once the Slingshots crowd that 135 number wind resistance starts effecting handling. So basically a turbo just gives ya a lot more kick at the slower speeds.

Left Maggie Valley this morning after attending the Slingshots in the Smokies rally. Had over 80+ machines on hand with a bunch of vendors selling stuff . I bought a F-4 tinted windshield and had a laser wheel alignment done. Did a couple of group rides and just had a good time all week.

Also spotted a few Ventures but no one from VR. I did pass the word on about the site here.

Next stop tomorrow will be the B2's homestead for a visit.