IGNORED

Let the discussion begin.

I took a REAL leap of faith and created a new forum for the Third Generation Venture. :) Will there even BE a third generation Venture? I don't think that any of us know the answer to that question.

At the very least, there is now a place to discuss what we would like to see, the rumors, etc. If there is going to be a new Venture introduced at the end of this year, you can bet that Yamaha already has it pretty much designed and is putting the final touches on it. I know that they DO read this forum though and maybe there is STILL time to at least take some of what their long time customers would like to see.

So...let the discussion begin. Maybe a waste of time but it could be fun.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Mike, I have reached a point where I am ready for a new bike. My trusty RSV is 13 years old with 120k miles. I am hoping for another 10-15 years of two wheel riding, so I think my next bike could be my last. I'm not in need of a new bike, but my current bike is unlikely to last another 10 years, so anytime now would be a good time.

I came very close to signing paper on a 40th anniversary ABS Goldwing. One thing kept me from doing it now. That is the unknown on a third generation Venture. I am hoping they build a new touring bike built around the new VMax engine. I would be pissed if I settled for a wing and we did get a new liquid cooled venture.

But... some spy pictures speculate that maybe the new Venture could be a Vtwin based on the Stratoliner.

I will not buy a touring bike that is not liquid cooled and does not have ABS. Period. So Yamaha... if you are listening. I want to remain on a Venture... but if you release an air cooled touring bike.. I will be a Goldwing owner shortly thereafter.

I think that Yamaha has got their thinking cap on. Over the course of time they have kept a close eye on who their customers really are and for the Venture it has not been the 20 year olds....... you know where this is going eh?

Their customer base is the older, 40 and over group, and they need to decide just exactly what will these people buy so that they can continue to ride and spend their gobs of money on Yamaha products.

I'll bet they are watching the sales of CanAm and Polaris, and maybe even have a better idea on the drawing boards. They have seen what they thought was my bank account and want some, if not all of it, and they also know that once I got used to riding what I am, I would never go back. So now,,, how to get some,, or all,,, of this old mans treasure. One thing they didn't count on though and maybe they forgot to check,,, is that I have DUTCH blood in my veins,,,soooo, good luck mamma!!!!

I took a REAL leap of faith and created a new forum for the Third Generation Venture. :) Will there even BE a third generation Venture? I don't think that any of us know the answer to that question.

At the very least, there is now a place to discuss what we would like to see, the rumors, etc. If there is going to be a new Venture introduced at the end of this year, you can bet that Yamaha already has it pretty much designed and is putting the final touches on it. I know that they DO read this forum though and maybe there is STILL time to at least take some of what their long time customers would like to see.

So...let the discussion begin. Maybe a waste of time but it could be fun.

I LOVE this idea @Freebird bossman - YOU DA MAN - THANK YOU!! Couple of quick thoughts, @Flyinfool just gave me a link to this thread in another thread located in the Waterhole. I wonder if we should put a post in all major area's that has a link back here so no one misses this thread? I also would like to encourage ALL readers to support each comment made by people who take the time to post (by clicking on the "like" or "thank" icons) if what that person is saying is something that triggers the ol "hey, I like that too" nerve.. Reason being, I am sure there are folks out there that just like to read and dont post much and this particular thread needs all the support it can get.. I totally agree with you Don, may or may not make a difference but what da heck,, worth a shot and, also like the Boss said - if nothing else - WHAT A BLAST,, this Freebird guy is one of my hero's!!:thumbsup:

I have been a Yamaha enthusiast for many many years and they have proven to me over and over again that they are TOPS!! Owned a couple early YZ monoshock MX bikes way back and they were AWESOME!! My little RD350 and RD250 (remains still in my basement) were giant killers - proving Yamaha's superiority in R&D!! My 73 XS650 beat across the country with me on its back several times, chopped it and rode it many more miles until sold. Bought a brand new 650 Special, AWESOME "cloned" mini Harley that saw the west too!! My faith in mother Yamaha has been proven 5 times over by my continual riding of the 1st Gen Ventures starting in 1987 until present day with my 83 that has almost 300k on it!! Fact is, folks at Yamaha, I AM READY FOR THE NEXT PHASE!!

All that said, here is my feeble wish list:

1700cc V-4 "V-Max" motor.. Detune it if you must (just like before) but please,, dont do another V-Twin - got enough of em.. You guys can do it,, I KNOW YOU CAN!!

Shaft drive!

EFI with a tunable tuner - even if its an add on - please provide one so we can tune it!!

LED lighting.

Engine guarding and saddle bag guarding.

Adjustable bars like on the first gen.

Factory tank and windshield bags.

Fixed Fairing.

Get the same Doctors who advised you on constructing the seat of the 1st Gens (cant remember what you call those guys) to advise you on this one - my kids, wife and I LOVE what they did!! Keep the seat height difference between the rider and passenger no more than 3 inches (2 is great) - raising the passenger higher causes weight imbalance and makes slow speed riding harder.

Ease of removal of the trunk(s) for changing rear tire.

Center stand.

Forward boards with normal foot pegs located rearward so standing up while riding is still possible, shift and brake levers at both locations (no heal toe please).

Hand warmers.

Key removable rear trunk and bags.

Grease zerks on all main pivot points.

High output stator even though it has LED's.

Double check the gear sets in the tranny and make sure they ramp up solidly.

Oversized clutch to insure NO slippage in high gears with xtra weight.

42 millimeter front fork tubes with progressive springs.

Imbed reflective tape (or use reflective paint) in paint lines (like pin striping) so all profiles of bike light up when grazed by car lights.

Add a large foot onto side stand - tired of bending over to pick up stand plate after parking on loose ground.

Explore which tire sizes are the most common and build around those standards so tire choices and finding them are easy.

Remember those long grips you used on the first gens? Use those, I love bending them back onto my knees.

Enclose the motor well to keep ANY objectional heat off both riders BUT - use lots of venting with plenums to act as heaters when needed.

Windshield it so the rear rider remains in the protective air pocket - functional vents in shield and fairing to adjust air movement if needed (hey,, could be asking for servo operated shield but I dont care for more things to go wrong).

6 speed Over drive tranny.

Use GOOD solder, especially with ECU pins. QC the daylights out of it! DONT go cheap and trust the Chinese!!

Dont short us on wire harness leads so wiring is tight - xtra 1/4 inch really helps!!

Make fairing panels easy to remove but not so they fall off.

Supply printable shop manual disc and printed well written owners manual. Supply GOOD factory tire pressure guage.

Chrome is out for me, I LOVE dull stainless (like the pipes on the "New" V-Max),, matter of fact,, build mine with no rustable chrome and all dull stainless!!

Intercom, CB and radio would be nice.. Keep the tape deck.

OK, if you REALLY are reading this and you like what I am talking,, PLEASE make mine just a little faster in stock form than anyone elses.. Not that I would ever use the extra pazzaazz but I have buddies that I gotta compete with and just KNOWING I have the fastest one would be worth an extra grand to me:big-grin-emoticon:

I KNOW you can do it!! Keep the faith mother Yamaha - I AM!!

Puc

DSCN3959.JPG

Here is what I would like my new 2015-16-17-??? Venture" to have.

A V-Max 1700cc (or the new 1900cc V-Max) V-4, Water Cooled, NOT DETUNED, motor attached to a 6 speed OD transmission, with shaft drive and a...High/Low splitter type 2 speed final drive. Larger exhaust with true tuned headers pipes.

Keep the CB, ditch the cassette, install a real radio with CD and Bluetooth, accessory ports, and hard wire an I-Pod/MP3 hookup into one of the saddle bags. Strong speakers front and rear.

Add power ports to both bags and in the tour pack.

LED Lighting for everything including a factory LED passing light option.

Keep the Air Ride suspension but make it adjustable from on the bike, not the gas station.

Color options: Solids and Two Tones and maybe even some graphics options.

Comfortable, ergonomically, well designed seats with a couple of color options.

Full 5 year, unlimited mileage, tip to taillight warranty. Build it right and let everyone know it. Don't go cheap and cut the warranty like some of the others are doing.

I would also like to be one of the "3rd Generation Venture Test Riders" that gets free use for a year, or two, to test ride it around the country.

V4 or V6, power and torque,full instrumentation,lighter weight. I love my 02 midnight special. Went to a show, saw it, sat on it, bought it. But I am now 71 and 865 lbs is getting a bit much to handle in the parking lot. No problem on the road. The Indian Scout looks interesting if I were to down size. A bit lower seat height would help as well.

just KNOWING I have the fastest one would be worth an extra grand to me:big-grin-emoticon:

I KNOW you can do it!! Keep the faith mother Yamaha - I AM!!

Puc

Everything he said but I also want two-way Bluetooth connectivity into the intercom/CB/SoundSystem. This should allow a phone to connect for a music source and for making calls but should ALSO accept connections with Bluetooth headsets that comply to common standards. The tape drive is a complete waste of space and time but having a bank of USB connections for charging and powering devices as well as playing music through the sound system is a good idea. There should be front and rear speakers with an eight or ten inch subwoofer. It should have integrated RAM mounts for cameras and GPS systems. It should have cartridge based forks like the Harleys have so that it can take a drop-in cartridge replacement from Progressive. I'd like to have easy to remove engine covering but it should be designed so that the engine looks good with the covers off, either factory stock or with a chrome (or stainless) dress-up kit. Heel-toe shift option is fine with me but make them out of stainless or chromed steel. The aluminum rubs off on your shoes.

Ah Yamaha, I LOVE YOU, (I hate you!) I LOVE YOU, (I hate you!) Waiting for Yamaha to introduce their next touring motorcycle is like dating "Sybil", ya' never know which personality you're going to go out with. But I digress. The first question I would like answered is, "Aren't you good and tired of HONDA and the Goldwing spankin' your @ss all these years?!?!" I would be. The second question is, "do you REALLY think that we need another big twin, Harley, Victory, "CLONE" on the market when there are bikes like the Can Am, and the Slingshot out there?" For heaven's sake Yamaha, you build Baby Grand Piano's, PLEASE! I'm beggin' ya', build us a "Baby Grand" Motorcycle! You have the VMAX power plant, sell that BIG box of Cassette Decks you still have to KIA and wrap that VMAX motor in some high tech plastic, and a 6 speed gear box, with enough electric power to light up all of the electronic goodies that today's riders like to have on board. Put some decent seats on this baby so we can ride for hours, and show off your new product line. Put some LED lights on this bike so we don't have to dodge all of the cars out there. "If you build it, they will come", has ALWAYS worked for me! And it will work for you! And now, for my final question to Yamaha, "Isn't it about time you led the pack again in motorcycle innovation, instead of runnin' with the little dogs in the rear of the pack?!?!" I personally think it's TIME for Yamaha to put their thinking caps on, (and their "big boy pants" on) and STEP UP, and build a motorcycle that we devoted Yamaha owners can be proud of. Hell, we have kept your Ventures running for OVER 30 years, isn't it about time you showed US a little love in return?

My thoughts, for what they are worth,

Earl

yall left out abs brakes, better lighting on the back, and a better headlight up front. And like a lot of riders on this forum, I too AM ready for a new bike, but I don't like the gold wings, and I don't want to go to a v-twin bike.

V4, liquid cooled, shaft, key bag removal, led lighting, decent horns, tach, round gauges, CD changer w/mp3 capability optional, Bluetooth optional, aux sources like USB with power, fixed fairing, storage pockets, air shocks WITH compressor, ABS, good seats you already do.

A lot of good 1st generation ideas were dropped in 2nd gen. Like the passenger controls for audio. So nice to let my lady make the changes while I concentrate on road! Or the snap on bags, etc..

Its future was bleak, Yamaha went after the small CC bikes, to make newer riders their key selling point. ( for more the around town riders ). Now would I consider a smaller bike for around town. Yes, But I'd run for the Kawasaki 650 Cross or the Suzuki 750 with hard bags. Endura bikes. ( I total hate riding my Wing in cities ). If Yamaha was to step up to the plate, and go with a 1800 engine from the Roadstar, fuel injected, Built on frame fairing (like Goldwing) an up to date sound system, intercom & CB & UBS ports. large saddle bags & trunk space, and definitely a bigger gas tank with lower center of gravity. I think, and most would agree. (I'd buy one)

Sound system on the Hardley is head and shoulders above my RSV. Lights...there is never enough light, but hardley is much closer. Electrical power...525 watts@ 2000 rpm, 650 max. That's pushing 50 amps and I remember when 45 amp alternators on cars were a big deal. Color options...I wanted a red one when I bought the blue RSV. EFI...while I understand carbs, carbs on a 2011, 12, 13 year model bike is on ludicrous par with cassette players in same. If hardley had not added the twin cooling I would not have at this point bought one, but they did and that was the clincher. 105 ft lbs of torque...if they can do it you can too, especially with 4 cylinders to work with. I'm not a forever fan like some of these guys; didn't even ride for 30 years, but in spite of 2 deployments, and downtime from surgeries I've got nearly 50,000 miles on bikes since September of 2011. I ride, rather a lot. I LIKE riding and I like for riding to be comfortable and fun. 360 watts power for cold weather riding + heated gear (I ain't proud...But I'm warm) doesn't cut it. That's just a handful of the considerations that led me to The Motor Company's product.

Love my RSV.

I just hope Yamaha keeps the rider and passenger's comfort that Yamaha up grades the electronics and adds fuel injection.

A little bigger engine. Maybe they have learned a valuable lesson by waiting so long and have seen without change or upgrades you lose

market share, which they don't have a huge stake in but could. Personally, I don't want a bunch of gadgets if I did I'd ride a GW or BMW.

OK, here's my spin. I want a water cooled fuel injected V6 based on the new V-Max V4. Lower RPM torque/power curve. Build in GPS, XM Radio, AM/FM and CB. Tach, speed, and odo analog cluster. Oil, temp, amp, clock digital reads. 6 speed transmission. 6 gallon tank. Full saddle bags/ trunk. LED Lighting. Frame mounted fairing. Adjustable bars. 4 piston calipers. On board Air Ride suspension. Etc.....