IGNORED

Bleeding the clutch

I just wanted to post this as I read every thread that referenced the clutch not working. I had an issue with the clutch ever since I replaced the fluid last season. I decided to rebuild the master after my first test ride of the season this year because the clutch was engaging almost immediately when the lever left the hand grip. The rebuild went through without a hitch however I couldn't get the clutch to work and the lever was very soft. After trying everything up to and including splitting the faring to see if the fluid was making to the joint between the hard and rubber line, I decided to try bleeding the system one more time.

That brings me to the point of this post.

I read some old threads and my two take-away quotes from those were:

1 - "I used almost a whole bottle of fluid before I got all the air out"

2 - "bleed it and then bleed it again and when you think you've bled it enough, keep bleeding it"

Now, I may not have the quotes exact but the points are made. I want to assure anyone else who finds themselves in my shoes without anyone close by to give them moral support - bleed the darn thing and just when you thing you've bled it as much as you can, keep bleeding. And have a full bottle of fluid on hand. You will get all the air out and that lever will eventually work!

Thanks for all of you who have posted in the past to help educate those of us that are newer to the Venture family. This community is well worth the $12/year!

I use the Condor method of reverse bleeding the clutch. One Baby Nasal Aspirator ($5.00). Remove the bleeder. Cut the end off so it fits nicely inside the hole with a good firm seal. Remove some of the old fluid from the resorvior by the handle bar with the Aspirator. Empty and Fill the Aspirator with new fluid and place in the hole and firmly but slowly squeeze the Apirator. If there is air in the line you will hear the bubble noise being pushed up and out. Watch the Resorvior that it does not over flow. Repeat as needed. Works every time.[h=1][/h]

I had issues once, and the most simple sure way is: Loosen Reservoir lid, squeeze clutch lever slowly until all the way to bars, tie off with rope, and let sit overnight. All the air will naturally come out. Tighten reservoir lid, untie lever, and you should be go to go.

• 4 years later...