IGNORED

New tires Going to Shinko's

Well shortly after getting my 86 1st Gen in the end of 2012 I decided to get new ties. I wanted Eltie 3's from Dunlop. But could not find the sizes i needed so a when with the D404's. I put them on in May of 2013, Its now may of 2015 and they won't inspection because they're already down to the wear bars with less than 5 or 6,000 miles on them. I know these were cruiser tires . i realize now that they just weren't made for the 800 lb weight of the venture plus 400 lbs. of passengers and loaded bags.

Went to buy the elite three's again this time but was unsure of what size corresponded to 140 rear an 120 from Mu ? MT ? whatever. So I looked around and settled on the Shinko's .Now I see that others have tried them. I read a favorable review in a magazine tire comparison so I'm going to try them. Even if they don't wear any better that the 404'd at lease I won't have paid $300 for a pair of tires I got only two seasons out of. I can live with paying about half if its onlu two years .

The Dunlop Elite 3 MU90B16 would be the correct rear tire and the MR90-18 for the front tire for the 86-93 Venture. This pair is rated to carry 930lbs @ 40psi on the rear and 760lbs @ 40psi on the front. Not sure what the Shinko's will carry but no matter what tires you buy, make sure you keep the air pressure near the max for the longest tread life.

Good luck

Rick F.

I have a pair of Shinko's on a 2nd Gen. So far @ 5K they look OK. I had Michelin C2 on before these. They went better than 17K. For the price if you do your own tire changes I'd say they are worth a try. I will also impress upon tire pressures being key.

I did Shinko's on Tweeks and had a hunk of steel go thru a rear tire.. I will look around here and see if I can find a pic, it was kind of strange because the piece of steel had no real sharp pointy edge, cut a hole thru the tire that almost matched the end of the steel piece (3/4 inch x 3/8th) - never seen anything like it in all my years of biking.. The tarmac was VERY hot (108 in the shade that day) - loaded down with all the gear and Tippy on the back!! Brand new tire with less than 1k on it!! I took the wheel off on the side of the highway, got a ride into town, the guy at the bike shop that swapped on a new Dunlop for us said he had never seen anything like it either (the steel part I am holding in my hand was still inside tire) but attributed it to the softer rubber of the Shinko.. I have had a number of flats over the years at highway speeds, this one went with a real "bang"...

DSCN3261.JPG

I put the 777 on the front of my 05 RSTD last winter.

Here are the specs from Shinko: (front) 130/90/16 WWW

777= H speed rated, 130 mph, load index=73, max load=805

230= V speed rated, 149 mph, load index=67, max load=677

Maybe I should have gotten the 230 for those times I'll be going over 130 mph.:o

Hey Puc, that little chunck of metal that was in your tire was more than likely connected to a much bigger piece that drove it in before it broke off and that piece is probably still laying out on the highway. The pic looks like it was broken off.

Glad that ended good for you both! Jeez, probably need new skivys after that one.

Thanks for all the responses. Its seems the Shinko's may give me the same mileage as the $)4's but at almost half the price i can live with it while also getting a sticker tire. thank again all for the good info the 230's are in the mail and will be here tomorrow but thanks for the info on the elite 3 sizes i'll write it down for future reference they may be my next choice.

Most research shows...Don't keep the air pressure at max in the front unless you want a balded tire in the middle. I suggest you just go 5psi less than max in front and 2-4 less in rear if you are always with w/o passenger . I never run max in front as you can lose traction too easily in the rain. You want that tire to flex properly in the corners for grip. Just try it.....I speak from 25+ years on this Venture...

Thanks for all the responses. Its seems the Shinko's may give me the same mileage as the $)4's but at almost half the price i can live with it while also getting a sticker tire. thank again all for the good info the 230's are in the mail and will be here tomorrow but thanks for the info on the elite 3 sizes i'll write it down for future reference they may be my next choice.
A bit late with this comment but just in case it will be useful later, I've got a bit more than 15,000 miles on a front E3 split between my 90 and 89. Would venture to say it is a little more than half worn at this point. Have E3's on the rear of both bikes as well but they have less miles and because of the switching back and forth I don't know how many. The Virago has E3's all around and has more than 20,000 miles and just past half worn. Way lighter bike though.

The thing with the E3's is there is a harder compound in the centre with a softer one on the edges which gives good wear straight lining it on the highway and good traction when dancing through the twisties.

Riding on wet or dry roads I have never felt a slip in the corners or on the tar snakes. I've read some posts on here that claim there are grippier tires than E3's but I can't imagine how fast it would be necessary to go to get these tires to let loose.

Also of note, the E3's have a thick sidewall that will somewhat support the weight of the bike with about 10 lbs of air in it. Found that out on the Virago after getting a nail in the rear tire and hardly noticed it.

Some of my observations for what they are worth.

I have found thru my own experiences on bikes the last 7yr or so. My 07 Vulcan had Dunlap D404s. Got just 5k out of them. For those bikes best tires turned out to be the Pirreli Route 66. But I have not heard of anyone using them on RSV. I am fairly convinced some tires just work better on some bikes.

Well as we all know , the speed with which we ride, and our own weights make a big difference in the tires wearability. I usually cruise along at 65 70 mph when a have a nice curvey road. Without divulging the new wife's weight together with full leathers and stuff packed there's 400 lbs ( most of that is me ) So the Shinko will burn through in less than 6 or 7000 miles. 800 lbs.bike + 400lbs. passengers and luggage 1200lbs. on a 916lbs. rated tire. Oh well. Still as i said before at half the Dunlop price I can afford them easily enough. But now that i have the proper sizes for the Elite 3's I'll try them next.

I know I have worn this out yall , but please, don't say in generalization that "Shinko's don't get any mileage." while specifically referring to a model of Dunlops.

Usually when folks talk about Dunlops on here they call them out as "404's". When folks talk about Shinko's on here, they don't call them out, but I bet they mean the "230" models. The "230" model will not get any mileage as it is a V-Rated 9/32" tread depth super sticky tire. I also think that folks that have a RSV should not be running a rear Shinko Model 230 tire.

Shinko makes another tire. The 777 series (Western Power Sports part #87-4590 ). This is a H-Rated, 11/32 inch tread depth, #80 load rated tire (992 lbs) that is still pretty sticky. I believe that this model, if you decide to run Shinko's at all, should be the one on the rear of your RSV.

Shinko777Specs.pdf

I know I have worn this out yall , but please, don't say in generalization that "Shinko's don't get any mileage." while specifically referring to a model of Dunlops.

Usually when folks talk about Dunlops on here they call them out as "404's". When folks talk about Shinko's on here, they don't call them out, but I bet they mean the "230" models. The "230" model will not get any mileage as it is a V-Rated 9/32" tread depth super sticky tire. I also think that folks that have a RSV should not be running a rear Shinko Model 230 tire.

Shinko makes another tire. The 777 series (Western Power Sports part #87-4590 ). This is a H-Rated, 11/32 inch tread depth, #80 load rated tire (992 lbs) that is still pretty sticky. I believe that this model, if you decide to run Shinko's at all, should be the one on the rear of your RSV.

Shinko777Specs.pdf

Understandable. Different tires made for different things. I hadn't done as much research as I should have . Obviously the 777's would have been a better choice but I was also looking at price. Obviously also the 777 and the Elite 3's are fairly comparable. Again price being a difference. But thanks again.

800 lbs.bike + 400lbs. passengers and luggage 1200lbs. on a 916lbs. rated tire. Oh well. Still as i said before at half the Dunlop price I can afford them easily enough. But now that i have the proper sizes for the Elite 3's I'll try them next.

You appear to be considering the weight load on one tire only. If you add the weight load of the front tire, you will be way over 1,200 pounds, unless you are routinely doing a long wheelie? :whistling:

Randy

Very good point Randy. Lol thanks for that. I forgot to consider the weighdistributed between both tires. Anyway. They look good sitting in my living room. I can't wait to see them on the bike.