IGNORED

camping gear

Hello Campers, wife has retired and we go to start camping. I have some questions about items needed, thank you for ideas, my question is gear types,stoves,kitchen setup, and etc. Would try the WV camp out, wife comes from just north of Summersville WV, as the eagle flies 15 miles from Skid. But need to be in Fla. may 8th for family reunion and wife walks out the door May 1st, really looking forward to get together with the VR campers. I think it is great that we have this site, really compact things, I am all ears for any ideas, no really I have big ears. Take care and GOD bless, Jim

Wife and I have motorcycle camped for a while. Until last year... out of a cargo trailer with tent and cots. We now have a time-out trailer and are still fine tuning how we pack that.

But, for cooking.. this two burner propane stove always worked great.

stove.jpg

We pack one pot, one medium size skillet and a coffee peculator. We have 4 plastic dishes and two plastic coffee mugs. A good cutting knife, spatula, one tablespoon, can opener, 4 forks and 4 spoons. We have a coleman propane light we carry. Always have a couple lighters. And a wind-up flashlight is nice. Batteries seem to die when you need them most. Usually carry a 25' electric cord for when we have electric. Some small card game for rain days. They happen. For us.. cribbage is a good game that takes little space.

Each trip might have different gadgets we bring. For example, at the beach we would bring a fan and beach chairs. Normally I only bring two small bag chairs.

You didnt say if you are pitching tent or using a tent camper so I'll skip the sleep gear as that would change.

Here is our campsite at Gulf Shores, Al last summer.

gulfshores.jpg

Here is our camp at Guntersville. Took different stuff since it wasn't at beach, but same staples.

guntersville.jpg

If you are camping out of a cargo trailer... try what I did. My wife and I would carry to garage everything we felt we had to have. Then played with loading the trailer. We quickly learned what we had to have and had space to have was way different and we then had to pick and choose what was most important. It worked well and we didn't miss most of what we left behind.

To give more room in trailer... we would place all our soft gear (pillows, sleep bags, towels) in trashbags then in leather bags and strap to top of trailer. It looks like a ton of weight... but really isn't.

luggage.jpg

Wish I could join ya at WV but I will be tent camping as a scout master with our troop that weekend. :(

Hello Gary, thanks for the input, I have a small trailer I plan on pulling. We are doing the tent deal, I learn more each time I get some advice from someone and this is our first year doing it. I have scored some good deals on some things ( so I think ) got a double sleeping bag, straight sided tent which I have to have, broke my back 11 years ago so I am on borrowed time, 18" blow up mattress. I get the idea about thinking what you think you need and put in a pile and then rethinking. Thanks for that advice!!! What about a cooler and the idea about the pillows and big light weight stuff on a rack on trailer, thanks again. I am taking notes and will make a check list for sure to many senior moments nowadays. We will be a 4 or 5 day camper LORD willing. I am not that far from you, I see you have pic of the BRP. I can see NC from my front porch,takes a little over a hour and I am on I- 40 and I-26 intersection. Ride to WV in laws live there and take 26 to 81 to 77 north, so I see you post a lot a wonder where you and others live along that path we travel. Plan on getting our act together for the international rally in July, well thanks again for the info and take and GOD bless, Jim

Hi Jim. Takes me right at 2 hours to get to the 1-40/I-26 intersection. We should try to hook-up one day to run the parkway south. Enjoy the international. We'll have to miss this one. Another group has a ride on lake superior we are going to since we've never been there. If you have any questions about the camping... feel free to ask. I'm no expert... but we have done a lot of camping over the years. Much rather sit around a campfire than sit in a motel room watching HBO. :)

Well Mike, after tent camping last summer in Gulf Shores... we realized we were not as young as we used to be and heat does effect us more than before. So I git your point. But... we weren't ready to abandon true camping. So.. after Lisa pestered all the tent trailer owners at Guntersville with a thousand questions... :) ... we got this..

camping.jpg

And yes... it has AC. And even though small.. for this small space.. you could hang meat after a while..

ac.jpg

Hey Jim,

Welcome to the camping section... This is where the fun really is, not motels as Gary mentioned...

Although you stated you'd be tent camping, I posted some things you will find useful on camping trips.

Main thing is keep these things in one place so you just have to add suitcase and food...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?89815-Things-to-carry-in-a-motorcycle-camper