IGNORED

need help with Trunk and Side lids

Howie257

First i would like to thank everyone who helped with my starting problem. Second to everyone who offered to take it off my hands. If i ride it and don't like it i will let you guy fight for it. The winner gets it for the same price i did free but it must be a fight to the death to be webcast here live or no deal. Now the problem i have is the lids practically need to be pried open to get in. The locks push in and when opened finally the hinges work well. I am afraid i'll rip a top off opening one it takes so much pulling to get it open. Any ideas

There used to be a thread or Tech article about opening up the lock section and lubricating it. I can't find it maybe someone has it saved somewhere. I guess the trickiest part is the fasteners they have on the cover over the lock. They have a philips head on them and if you turn them about 1/4 turn they raise ever so slightly so you can get a finger nail in under the head and pop the head out. Then the whole fastener will come out. Once you get the cover off it's just a matter of lubricating the lock and they should work.

I'm just reiterating what I read on that article....never done if myself. Hopefully this will help or there will be someone along quickly to be a little more specific.

Yes, just remove the plastic cover/shield on the inside and lube it well. WD40 is not a good lubricant for this and will not last long. I used a white lithium grease in a small tube from an auto parts store and it has done well. I think it's been about 6 years since I had to do that.

Don't let ECK anywhere near the bags. I had one stuck at Eureka Springs last year and he kept wanting to use a 4 inch grinder on it. Man thinks he can do anything with that grinder.

Make sure all the screws, nuts etc are tight around the lock and like Don said use some nice White Grease on it.

Jerry

Yes, just remove the plastic cover/shield on the inside and lube it well. WD40 is not a good lubricant for this and will not last long. I used a white lithium grease in a small tube from an auto parts store and it has done well. I think it's been about 6 years since I had to do that.

Yeah, what he said!

Did this on my 1st gen and they work like new. Gotta get to the others now!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Yamahauler

While you're on the subject. Anybody know how to jimmy a saddlebag open. I pushed the button, but it doesn't engage the latches. The local Yama wrench said they'd probably have to rip the bag lid off and order a new one. Any easier ways??? TIA

While you're on the subject. Anybody know how to jimmy a saddlebag open. I pushed the button, but it doesn't engage the latches. The local Yama wrench said they'd probably have to rip the bag lid off and order a new one. Any easier ways??? TIA

1. Use something padded between the bag and the fender to slightly push the inside of the bag back and take off any pressure to the latch. Your goal here is to simply make the bag side straight instead of bowed out. This will probably not be necessary if the bag is empty.
  2. Use two hands to push down on the bag lid above both latches. With your third hand, push the button. Should open right up if you are pushing down hard enough to relieve the pressure on the latches. If the bag is full, you will need your fourth hand to lever in the back side of the bag as described in 1. above. :080402gudl_prv:

Your buddy should know better a 4 inch grinder thats laughable. A 5 pound sledgehammer on the other hand fixes everything one shot.

i just have to ask ?

sense when is a 5 pound hammer a sledge used to carry one it was nothing more than a tapping hammer or master lock key as i always thought a sledgehammer was a minimum of 40 pounds :think: