IGNORED

Oil drain plug...which crush washer?

oconeedan

Which crush washer is correct for this bike? Aluminum, aluminum with rubber insert, copper, fiber? What came off is a rubber / aluminum combination washer, I was expecting a simple aluminum crush washer. I went out and bought one, but didn't know which one is proper.

One more thing that got my attention, I used a Purolator 14612 filter, had to get the Gold as they were out of the standard white one. The filter felt different...when the gasket made contact, the filter would not turn any further. I am used to going about 1/2 turn past the gasket touching. I ran it around the block, and a drop of oil at bottom lip of filter. It could have been residual. But it may not have screwed on far enough to compress the gasket. I have used Purolator filters with good success on my previous bike (over 100,000 miles).

I am a maintenance tech, and good with tools, etc.. Just new to Yamaha's.

Which crush washer is correct for this bike? Aluminum, aluminum with rubber insert, copper, fiber?

The original Yamaha crush washer is aluminum, PN 214-11198-01-00, used on hundreds of models.

Having said that, I don't think which oil plug gasket you use is important, as long as it is the correct diameter. I've heard that 14mm drain plug gaskets are available at Honda automobile dealerships for a few cents each.

Attached are pics of the 2114-11198-01-00 gasket:

214-11198-01.jpgyamaha-214-11198-01-00-sump-plug-sealing-washer-750x563.jpg

Thanks to both of you.

I tried the 14610, but it would not fit, as the end of the filter was bumping against my frame and I couldn't get it started on the threads. I wonder if my threaded "nipple" sticks out a little farther than normal?

The 14612, I had no problems clearance wise and it spun right on. But when it touched, it quit spinning, like those threads were bottomed out. If it leaks, I'll remove it and investigate.

I'm using Rotella T6, as it gave my last bike long life.

Dan

I'd be interested in knowing how the Napa 1358 compares to those 3 you cut apart.

ME TOO! I'd like to try talking you in to cutting your used one up at your next oil change and letting us know what you find.

:hurts: