IGNORED

Looking for used shock RSV

Rick Haywood

Depends on what someone would think a used one is worth. Much over say $150 with shipping, I think I would just pony up and buy a new Hagon. We all know the average life of one of these things is only around 40k or so. I sure would hate to drop $200+ and have it go south a few months later. Just my opinion.

The man is looking for used. I imagine for a reason. Getting 130M out of the original, plus his bike having that many miles on it, and getting towards the end of it's life... They don't live forever... might have something to do with it. To me it doesn't make sense to spend the money for new when the bike life is iffy?? You can find very nice low milage used shocks with a little searching. I had two like new used, but one got legs along with my trailer. So the one that's left just sits there in the wings waiting until it's needed.... I think everyone should have a used spare....

I thought about a new one to go on it and then next year when I buy another Venture with low miles switching them out putting thr nw after market on the new bike and the other oem on the old bike. Seems like a bunch of work. But then again I will keep the next venture till it is wore out sooooo what to do. Plus it only took us 4.5 years to put 115,000 moles on this bike

Getting 130M out of the original, plus his bike having that many miles on it, and getting towards the end of it's life...

He said it was a RSV... not a Harley. I seriously doubt 130,000 on a well maintained RSV is even close to end of life. Mine has 117,000 miles and shows no signs of going belly up anytime soon.

I concur with getting a Hagon shock. I am shocked you got 130k out of the original. That is beatin the odds for sure. Rest of the bike seems near bullet proof. The shock is it's one big weak spot.

Maybe I should restate how many miles I got out of the shock, I bought the bike with 16,000 mikes on it in August of 2010 and I assumed it still had the original shock. But if it had been replaced under warranty already then maybe all I got was 115,000 miles or so out of the shock that was on the bike. And as for the bike being wore out??? It seems to run and ride as good as the day I bought it. I have taken great care of the bike changing oil at 4,000 miles, running a little seafoam through the tank every month or so, wired all extras through a relay to avoid most electrical problems, Kept it clean and waxed. Other than that we just rode the hell out of it.

He said it was a RSV... not a Harley. I seriously doubt 130,000 on a well maintained RSV is even close to end of life. Mine has 117,000 miles and shows no signs of going belly up anytime soon.

I knew I'd get a knee jerk out of a few of you, but out of all the RSV's out there, how many have an odo with more than 200,000 on it?? How about 175?? That'd be a good question. How many folks out there have an RSV with 175,000+ on it?? Anyone???

I will get back with you next summer and let you know. We should have about 175,000 on the odometer by August of 2016. But I will agree it will be time to replace. not so much because it runs bad but because things wear out and I would be to the point of being a little apprehensive about really long trips away from home. (by long I mean 1500 miles not 500 miles)

I knew I'd get a knee jerk out of a few of you, but out of all the RSV's out there, how many have an odo with more than 200,000 on it?? How about 175?? That'd be a good question. How many folks out there have an RSV with 175,000+ on it?? Anyone???

Nothing knee jerk about it. I think assuming these bikes would be on their death bed at 130,000 miles is totally ridiculous. Sorry... but thats just my opinion.

I have a better question. How many RSV's have you heard of been sent to salvage because of a blown engine or other major failure? Sure, plenty of been crashed and plenty sold in order to get a newer bike... but I have heard of zero RSV's sent to salvage due to wearing out. I have met a few RSV owners with 200,000 miles. I have come across several riders on 200,000+ 1st gens. Same platform.

I only have 117,500 on mine now... but I'll reply back at 150,000 and 200,000 miles. ;)

Nothing knee jerk about it. I think assuming these bikes would be on their death bed at 130,000 miles is totally ridiculous. Sorry... but thats just my opinion.

I have a better question. How many RSV's have you heard of been sent to salvage because of a blown engine or other major failure? Sure, plenty of been crashed and plenty sold in order to get a newer bike... but I have heard of zero RSV's sent to salvage due to wearing out. I have met a few RSV owners with 200,000 miles. I have come across several riders on 200,000+ 1st gens. Same platform.

I only have 117,500 on mine now... but I'll reply back at 150,000 and 200,000 miles. ;)

OK, but you know what they say about opinions... However, I'm sorry that I may have dis'd your bike, and I hope it makes it to 300,000. And you're right about the engine wearing out. It's the rest of the bike that needs to be considered as well. Looking forward to hearing back from you when it hits 150.....

I think in the 3 or so years I have had mine and the forums I have visited and yaked on, 2 of the RSV/TD/V-max motors I have heard of self destructed it. One was in TX a fellow on Delphi helped another new fellow get his fixed after it just all of a sudden started making racket. The other was a 1st gen Tour Deluxe and kicked a rod out the jug @ 60k. $hit happens, heck I seen a guy unload new cars off the transporter and when we went to move it to the shop for prep for delivery it made so much noise nobody would drive it. Plenty of oil, just no rod bearings on 3 of the rods. they dont run well that way FYI.