IGNORED

when is it too cold to ride

Sandbagger

Rode to work back in the 80's and it was 0 to 3 degrees, and another time I got caught at work and had to ride home in the snow, 3", so it wasn't much since nobody else was out and about. When is it to cold to ride? When it is to cold for the bike to start!!

tew47

Edited by TEW47

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One benefit is the safety of full gear. I rode 20 miles with ice everywhere except in the main trough one time in W Co. Not again! And at 70 awith two new knees, I don't mind cool, but bone cold is just too much, not for this old guy, but for this wise older feller!

JackZ

But when I ride I do ride in any direction but down or up!

:Venture::safemotorcycle::7_6_3[1]:

I just got in off a nice ride tonight. I was out for about an hour and 30 minutes around town trying to run some Seafoam thru Brownie in case i have to put her away soon. When i got in the temp was 1c (33F) but it was a gorgeous clear night with no wind, and the stars were out in full force. I did notice that when i first started out i could break the back tire loose almost at will but after I had ridden for a bit the tires must have warmed up because i was getting better grip and couldnt break the back loose nearly as easily.

Brian:snow2:

Just got my tourmaster heated gloves today, now to wire them up and take on the freezing weather! I bought them from Wingstuff.com Good price and good service. Also had them install the headset in the new Evoline Shark helmet I bought. Best multi-purpose helmet I have ever had, will make riding in winter a lot better.

• 2 weeks later...

I've ridden down to 17F, which is cold for Maryland, where we rarely hit single digits. I keep an eye on the weather to give me an indication of the probability of black ice in the morning.

Once they put salt on the roads, I stay off the bike until we get a good rain to wash it away. Getting that salt dust in the nooks and crannies of the bike will haunt you for years to come. Luckily, it seems like we get rain within a week of when the put down salt. In Maryland, they tend to over-do the salting of the roads as soon as they THINK something might freeze. Last year I was tempted to shovel up the excess and sell it back to the state. :rotf:

Phoenix

With a heated jacket liner, lined jeans and dry roads I'll ride to work as long as it's above 25 degrees. The Tourmaster jacket liner keeps me toasty.

It's 34 here this morning so it will be a bit chilly without the lined jeans.

DT

I know the post is more about the bike but some have mentioned personal factors.

On a group ride last January 1st on some twisties we had a novice rider miss a turn, hit the ditch and was lucky enough to get ejected before her bike hit a parked pickup.

She was okay, just stirred and shaken. But what she said was that her hands were too frozen to control the bike.

I ride all year (ok in mid SC) but if you do open winter group rides,look out for those that may not be as hardy. Stop often enough to make sure they aren't headed for trouble.

As we were remote, we built a fire to sit around till we got a hauler. Made a nice day after all.

• 2 years later...

last year MY wife and I road our bikes to get married in December 30 degrees that day.

yesterday a group of ten of us took our Motorcycles on what was probably the last group ride of the year. We left Plattsburgh at 27 degrees and of course did the logical thing, we rode over through Saranac lake to Raybrook where we met a group from the canton Potsdam region. we then headed down through the adirondacks to the Lake george area for lunch. temperatures were in the 40s by the time we got home all in all a great ride, many thanks to the Canton Potsdam Star group for the invite

When the snot in your nose freezes up within 2 minutes!

Snotcicles are a badge of honor!

I have ridden wheelers, ATV's to those of you not from Northern NY, doen to 15 below (F) and snowmobiles even colder. I stop riding my bikes when they start to use salt. And don't get them out till it is washed off the roads.

Need to move South someday.

I rode all day last winter in 20 degree weather and did bit feel cold all day, stopped in to give blood that evening and my temp was 90 they would not take my blood and said I had hypothermia I had no clue so I guess my point is just be very careful even if you do feel warm.

Before I retired, I rode my bike to work in winter as long as the highway was dry. I had no problem with the cold down to -15 to -18 C ( about 0 F). I got caught at work quite a few times, when it started snowing during the day. I rode slowly home in the snow. I was surprised how well the tires performed in the snow. Avoided using the brakes, or leaning in the turns, as much as possible.

• 1 month later...

I also ride all year long. I finally bought my first item of heated gear a few weeks ago. Heated glove liners. Other than that I wear a couple thin but warm layers and some fire hose style pants to cut the wind. Coldest it has been when I left the house at 3:30 AM was about 8 degrees. I was as warm as could be. At 45 and above I really don't wear much more than I would in the summer. The older I get, the more I like the cold. And we don't get much snow here outside of Washington DC so teh riding season can go all year.

• 1 month later...

ive ridden as low as -30 -35C, and ive not had much trouble. accel and slow gently and keep the bike upright as much as possible. basically pretend there is a side car on when cornering.

though if you can put up with the cold ive found you get awesome mileage out of your tires when their hard as granite :stickinouttounge:

• 2 weeks later...