IGNORED

87 stator/crank cover stripped screw

Checking the last post in the thread, this project has been on the shelf since Jan 2017. Picked up the pieces about 5 weeks ago. (thanks Covid isolation) Resolved all but one issue as follows after bike was reassembled. It ran fine pre-project, that was 3 years ago.

Today, turn ignition on, fuel pump sounds normal, CPU cycles thru self check no errors, neutral light ok, apply choke and it fires up like a champ. At this point it won't idle properly, when choke is slowly removed it will eventually stall. Restarts ok with choke and rpms runaway, when choke is feathered back slowly, it will idle fine for minutes but the choke is still in play. As the engine heats to temperature the choke must be on slightly or it will stall. During any of this process if the throttle is twisted at all, the engine stalls immediately. All cylinders appear to be firing and runs smooth throughout. There is very little to no backfiring during the whole process. Here's what I've checked to date:

Drained old gas, added fresh gas and a few ozs of Seafoam. Checked spark on all plugs. Checked carb linkages. Good fuel flow thru gas filter. Checked carb throat and slides through air filter compartment. All diaphragms intact and slide assemblies appear ok. Throttle and throttle linkages feel and look normal. Idle at thumbscrew adjustment appears ok. Haven't touched any carb adjustment screws or jets.

Not sure what to poke or prod next, hoping I missed something obvious ... any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated !

I have pretty much this exact same problem. The 87 I picked up last summer will not idle without the choke until very warm. also, the idle speed screw has to be cranked in all the way for the bike to idle at around 800 rpm. Already did the seafoam thing but have yet been able to run the snot out of it for a couple hundred miles. since I only used what was left in a can, after reading all these fantastic posts Im gunna dump in a can with fresh gas, back that idle screw off some and run what they call the circle up here. its approx 240 miles with 90 miles of it in 75mph limit highways heading south on 95 from Houlton Maine to to Lincoln. If that dont clear it up, OFF THEY COME! Thanks All for the great info. I at least now have a plan ...:bikersmilie:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Phil, Thanks for finding the post glad you mentioned your situation.

If I ted last week if you haven't found may suggest you repost this in the thread you started last week if you haven't found the solution here in this thread.

I know OP here still has some questions to post/work thru it could get confusing ;)

You could just use the cut and paste short cut... or maybe Marcarl can wave his wand and POOF?

I have pretty much this exact same problem. The 87 I picked up last summer will not idle without the choke until very warm. also, the idle speed screw has to be cranked in all the way for the bike to idle at around 800 rpm. Already did the seafoam thing but have yet been able to run the snot out of it for a couple hundred miles. since I only used what was left in a can, after reading all these fantastic posts Im gunna dump in a can with fresh gas, back that idle screw off some and run what they call the circle up here. its approx 240 miles with 90 miles of it in 75mph limit highways heading south on 95 from Houlton Maine to to Lincoln. If that dont clear it up, OFF THEY COME! Thanks All for the great info. I at least now have a plan ...:bikersmilie:

Hey Poppa Phil, beautiful country over your way. We've enjoyed touring ME a few times over the years crossing at Houlton/Woodstock.

I should be the last one here to give you further advice as I'm at the tail end of dealing with my 87' issues that brothers are leading me thru. I have some thoughts but wouldn't chance leading you in the wrong direction. There is a wealth of information in these threads hope you might find helpful.

As Patch mentioned, you might get better exposure resolving your idling/running issues by starting a thread on the subject. I'd be interested to hear the outcome. Best of luck. :thumbsup2:

Hi Phil, Thanks for finding the post glad you mentioned your situation.

If I ted last week if you haven't found may suggest you repost this in the thread you started last week if you haven't found the solution here in this thread.

I know OP here still has some questions to post/work thru it could get confusing ;)

You could just use the cut and paste short cut... or maybe Marcarl can wave his wand and POOF?

probably the best way to go ..

Fired up the 87' this morning , idled somewhat better again than last week. At the point were I'm going to siphon heavy ratio seafoam/gas, replace with straight gas and run it thru. The idle will hold around 1000 rpm without choke when warm. Carb sync in the works this week.

Hey Poppa Phil, beautiful country over your way. We've enjoyed touring ME a few times over the years crossing at Houlton/Woodstock.

I should be the last one here to give you further advice as I'm at the tail end of dealing with my 87' issues that brothers are leading me thru. I have some thoughts but wouldn't chance leading you in the wrong direction. There is a wealth of information in these threads hope you might find helpful.

As Patch mentioned, you might get better exposure resolving your idling/running issues by starting a thread on the subject. I'd be interested to hear the outcome. Best of luck. :thumbsup2:

probably the best way to go ..

Gonna Do Just that as soon as figure out where it goes, Im to new to be ruffling feathers dropping potholes in front of Bikers !(lmao),,,,

Gonna Do Just that as soon as figure out where it goes, Im to new to be ruffling feathers dropping potholes in front of Bikers !(lmao),,,,

You won't ruffle our feathers none,, we'll just point you to a corner and tell you to stay there while we clean up the mess that somebody made,,,, nah, it's all good, we are here to help, not to criticize.

You won't ruffle our feathers none,, we'll just point you to a corner and tell you to stay there while we clean up the mess that somebody made,,,, nah, it's all good, we are here to help, not to criticize.

No feathers to ruffle over this way Phill, any suggestions or questions, fireaway, I'll try my best. And there are amazing tech's on this board that will pretty well help with any issues on these old rockets.

Finally decent incoming weather over the next couple of weeks. All being equal minus the CV19, probably would have been on our way to Lake Champlain area or lost somewhere down there.

Our federal gov't and U.S. just announced border closures at least till June 21st. Guess well settle for a few marathon day trips closer to home.

No feathers to ruffle over this way Phill, any suggestions or questions, fireaway, I'll try my best. And there are amazing tech's on this board that will pretty well help with any issues on these old rockets.

Finally decent incoming weather over the next couple of weeks. All being equal minus the CV19, probably would have been on our way to Lake Champlain area or lost somewhere down there.

Our federal gov't and U.S. just announced border closures at least till June 21st. Guess well settle for a few marathon day trips closer to home.

Im gonna Crack that Border as soon as it pops a leak ! I cant wait. there are zero VR peeps up my way in State and im fer sure a F T F kinda guy when it comes to meeting folks and wearing out tires. IM really praying I dont have to get too deep. if so, I will likely buy another scoot mid June or so and wrap this one up till I have better conditions ( roof) to work on it. I already Love it and cant ride it!

Looking Forward to the Tec chats!