IGNORED

Indian Unveils Liquid-Cooled PowerPlus 108 V-twin

leo3wheel

Agreed. Some good engineering went into that motor. Going to be an HD killer for sure....

Wondering aloud if any Yamaha engineers are looking at their bosses and saying..."See?, I told you..."

Thanks Puc...good read.

You and all you other lop eared long distance CTFW, always looking for answers varmints are welcome too Vaz.. It's ALWAYS fun :Im not listening to scoots and the technology/engineering that goes into producing em.. There is a TON of info in that article but one of things that caught my eye was this:

“The market has definitely evolved since then,” Wilson said. “And we make sure to evolve with it. A major element is the value riders now put on performance—the market for it is growing.”

That line was definitely the opposite direction that Mom Yam received from the market segment they studied and the info they received from such.. It will be interesting to see now, once this new Polaris is released, if the move to toward higher numbers on the dyno will result in higher sales tragectories. Only time will tell I guess.. I gotta hunch that if it does so (sales increase) that that is when we will hear a giant "OOPPSSS" from the mothership :missingtooth:

Personally, I really enjoyed the overall "parts and pieces" aspect of the article,, questions and answers concerning why water cooling and the engineering behind the move... DEFINITELY interesting!!

I was expecting more. I like the engine specs but am not at all crazy about the styling. I'm disappointed. Thought I was going to like it from the few shots I had seen. To me, it doesn't hold a light to the new Yamaha.

It will be interesting to see if HD comes out with one with a V-Rod MTR stuffed in it now. Only issue there may be that the V-Rod is only 1250cc's, down from the +1700cc in this new one.. On the same token though, HD may just sit on their hands and wait to see how the market responds to a full on water cooled, over head cam non push rod motor V-Twin from their American competition since the V-Rod, like all their other shifts away from the traditional tractor motor design from the early 1900's, never sold well. That last article that I posted did mention the new Venture along with the HD:

""Indian says the PowerPlus “was developed with a big-piston, big-torque mindset with an end game of maximum power delivery across the entire curve.” When we put the Challenger on Jett Tuning’s dyno, its belt-driven rear wheel cranked out 113.3 lb-ft of torque at 3,500 rpm and 107.6 horsepower at 5,600 rpm, with redline at 6,500 rpm (see chart below). That unseats the previous king of torque among V-twin tourers we’ve tested, the Yamaha Star Venture (110.9 lb-ft of torque, 75.9 horsepower), as well as the top-of-the-line Harley-Davidson CVO Limited (110.0 lb-ft of torque, 96.0 horsepower). The Challenger’s broad mountain of rear-wheel torque tops 100 lb-ft from 2,400 to 5,600 rpm, and its horsepower curve increases steadily from 2,000 rpm to its peak.""

It will certainly be interesting to see if Polaris's reading the push for more HP wanted by the market is accurate. Time will tell I reckon. One thing for sure, our counterparts over on the Indian site are pumped!

Yea, the engine sounds impressive. The bike just doesn't look great to me though. Also, obviously not after the full touring market. No trunk and etc. Maybe it's coming later. So far, I'm just not sold on it.

Maybe a quick release option is in order,,, doubt it though - why sell a 3000 dollar option when ya can spring out a whole nuther line :missingtooth:.. I REALLY like seeing the rear boinger numbers on this one = 4 1/2 inches of travel (and still sporting a 26 inch seat height). Thinking that might be double of the Road Glide which is nothing but bottom out city if ya two up and packed for CTFW . This new Polaris must be a Mono Shock as I am sure the Yamaha is where, as far as I know, HD is still playing with twin shocks (remember the days of beating up our backs on twin shock dirt bikes - my spine is SHOT cause of those WONDERFUL years :big-grin-emoticon:).

Sheesh Boss,,, 22k for base Challenger :think:,,,, a really good buddy of mine has a new Venture, full blown touring WITH TRUNK and all the goodies including REVERSE, completely decked out for under 20 grand with under 2k miles on it... :happy34:

I know why it would be de-tuned....but can you imagine a straight drop in to the new Venture?

I saw the pics and the specs. I am not too excited on the styling. The Venture still has the best styling and features that I want on a motorcycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know why it would be de-tuned....but can you imagine a straight drop in to the new Venture?

I love these 'What If' threads... For a touring scoot, with towing capacity, it needs low end grunt along with a dose of HP. Here's my fantasy motor. Take that 1700cc V-Max, and make it a water cooled V-6. If BMW can stuff an inline 6 into the 1200LT chassis, and not have it hang out like the old CBX, Yamaha can add two more cylinders to a V-4 and no one would even notice.. That 1700c would grow to 2550cc with a ton of grunt. Fuel inject it, and it becomes the panacea of touring bikes... Anyone remember the Triumph 2400cc triple?? Put it in an RSV and also offer it in a Sport model based on the older VR's... With a trunk!! That Indian is getting close but it ain't there yet... :icon_lurker::fishin:

Noticing that Polaris is specing out no valve clearance adjustment on this new SOHC engine as it has Hydraulic Lifters and being of the :scratchchin: :stirthepot: type of gearhead that I am,, I couldn't help but wonder what's inside.. A little digging and I came up with the following pic that shows the topend (it's the only pic I could find, :fingers-crossed-emo I am on the right trail here). It appears to my untrained eyes that the "lifters" are installed on the valve stem contact end of the rocker assembly and that Polaris is using fork type roller rocker = one cam lobe is operating 2 valves. An interesting concept,, :think: - I think my eyes and greasy fingers have played with such before,, thinking Honda 700 Nighthawk . Think I am calling this right? Also, looking at the end of the cam,,, seeing what looks like possible variable valve timing :scared:,,, probably not,, more likely some form of compression release mechanism. Thoughts?

victory-indian-v-twin-patent-fig-13.jpg