IGNORED

My new 2018 and what I think

6 weeks in 2733 miles,

Pros:

I am happy with the seat. My old RSTD and 00 Venture both needed replaced. The seat does get rather warm from this V twin. I am looking for a resolution for that. Beads seem to help-- any suggestions, I am open to ideas

The weight is balanced real good. The bike is not top heavy even with a passenger,full trunk and loaded trunk rack.

I like that they added a skid plate on the rider foot pegs. I took it as a challenge. Yep it gets all the way down.

At 960 pounds, It feels lighter that the gen 2 I owned

The audio system is an improvement. The WB is real helpful

The adjustable windshield is great

The parking assist has come to the rescue a few times

Shifting is different it took awhile to get up to speed and not hit the rev limiter.

There are probable a few more likes.

I am loving this thing

Now what I don't like:

The bike gets real hot. I knew that going in. Air cooled V twin

The lower vents are a real saver on that. I went for a ride with shorts and closed vents, The heat on my legs was unbearable. I had to pull over and open the vents

Robin complains about the wind buffeting on the passenger. It beats her up pretty good. --- I just installed a shorter windshield with an outward flip at the top. They say is should fix the issue. We shall see. I will update when we get out tomorrow.

The thumb controls. They have put a bunch out there. Not really a con. It is a stretch with the thumb

THE GPS !!! That is a real disappointment. I have had 2 Garmin's and a Tom Tom both real easy to use. They dropped the ball on this unit

Not being able to save way-points for later use, What the hell My 12 year old ZUMO 550 was way better than this

I put an address in my nuvi and the same in my Yamaha. The Yamaha required 10 addition steps to complete the same address

The entire interface is just bulky. Win 7 vs Win 10

Importing a GPX file. It has an option to import, It does not import it only reads the data from a flash drive.

The screen lags when refreshing seems like its lacking memory

Maybe they will come out with a software update to over haul it. Doubtful...

I am happy with the purchase. If it is as reliable as the RSTD I bought new in 2006. I should have many years of enjoyment

6 weeks in 2733 miles,

Pros:

I am happy with the seat. My old RSTD and 00 Venture both needed replaced. The seat does get rather warm from this V twin. I am looking for a resolution for that. Beads seem to help-- any suggestions, I am open to ideas

The weight is balanced real good. The bike is not top heavy even with a passenger,full trunk and loaded trunk rack.

I like that they added a skid plate on the rider foot pegs. I took it as a challenge. Yep it gets all the way down.

At 960 pounds, It feels lighter that the gen 2 I owned

The audio system is an improvement. The WB is real helpful

The adjustable windshield is great

The parking assist has come to the rescue a few times

Shifting is different it took awhile to get up to speed and not hit the rev limiter.

There are probable a few more likes.

I am loving this thing

Now what I don't like:

The bike gets real hot. I knew that going in. Air cooled V twin

The lower vents are a real saver on that. I went for a ride with shorts and closed vents, The heat on my legs was unbearable. I had to pull over and open the vents

Robin complains about the wind buffeting on the passenger. It beats her up pretty good. --- I just installed a shorter windshield with an outward flip at the top. They say is should fix the issue. We shall see. I will update when we get out tomorrow.

The thumb controls. They have put a bunch out there. Not really a con. It is a stretch with the thumb

THE GPS !!! That is a real disappointment. I have had 2 Garmin's and a Tom Tom both real easy to use. They dropped the ball on this unit

Not being able to save way-points for later use, What the hell My 12 year old ZUMO 550 was way better than this

I put an address in my nuvi and the same in my Yamaha. The Yamaha required 10 addition steps to complete the same address

The entire interface is just bulky. Win 7 vs Win 10

Importing a GPX file. It has an option to import, It does not import it only reads the data from a flash drive.

The screen lags when refreshing seems like its lacking memory

Maybe they will come out with a software update to over haul it. Doubtful...

I am happy with the purchase. If it is as reliable as the RSTD I bought new in 2006. I should have many years of enjoyment

I am new to this bike also, i have 300 miles on mine and as far as the heat problem goes i took off the mufflers with the cats in them and installed my old CVO harley stock mufflers so this thing could breathe and the heat is almost all gone now, 90 degrees out and it was a pleasure to ride today...

I'm at 10% of your milage on mine; I have only owned it for a week...so please, a grain of salt with my comments - they are not to be confused with someone who knows what they are talking about...icon6.png

I have read that using a 40 weight oil reduces heat and engine/tranny noise. I plan to switch to the Shell/Rotilla, 15w-40 after for the second oil change. I have swapped out the original oil(10w-40), as it was already two years old when we unboxed the bike at the shop (Frame sticker indicates a Mfg. July of 2017). I was amazed at how that smoothed and quieted things.

Totally agree on the heat and the lower vent; I ran a similar scenario. I have found that I notice the heat much less to not at all with my chaps on.

I have not touched the wear-bars on the floorboards, but I did ride with my son yesterday. He was on my Road Star and said he dragged them on a couple corners trying to keep up...His personal bike is a Warrior, so he was intentionally less aggressive than he normally rides.

I tend to set my GPS to a general destination and then ride where I want, using the map to show me where I am and how to get back on track when I need it... I like that the indicated speed limit does not flash, beep or wail when I exceed the speed limit - like WAZE....

Speaking of "beeps", I disconnected the alarm, re-inserted the blank plug and greased/covered the open end of the harness. How about that "Smart Key"? I gotta replace the battery (two years - again) - If you turn the key off and walk away, the bike won't do a thing for anyone unless they find it....just don't leave it in one of the lockable boxes ;-).

What's the new windshield you swapped in? Inquiring minds are eager to know!

I'm at 10% of your milage on mine; I have only owned it for a week...so please, a grain of salt with my comments - they are not to be confused with someone who knows what they are talking about...https://www.venturerider.org/forum/images/icons/icon6.png

I have read that using a 40 weight oil reduces heat and engine/tranny noise. I plan to switch to the Shell/Rotilla, 15w-40 after for the second oil change. I have swapped out the original oil(10w-40), as it was already two years old when we unboxed the bike at the shop (Frame sticker indicates a Mfg. July of 2017). I was amazed at how that smoothed and quieted things.

Totally agree on the heat and the lower vent; I ran a similar scenario. I have found that I notice the heat much less to not at all with my chaps on.

I have not touched the wear-bars on the floorboards, but I did ride with my son yesterday. He was on my Road Star and said he dragged them on a couple corners trying to keep up...His personal bike is a Warrior, so he was intentionally less aggressive than he normally rides.

I tend to set my GPS to a general destination and then ride where I want, using the map to show me where I am and how to get back on track when I need it... I like that the indicated speed limit does not flash, beep or wail when I exceed the speed limit - like WAZE....

Speaking of "beeps", I disconnected the alarm, re-inserted the blank plug and greased/covered the open end of the harness. How about that "Smart Key"? I gotta replace the battery (two years - again) - If you turn the key off and walk away, the bike won't do a thing for anyone unless they find it....just don't leave it in one of the lockable boxes ;-).

What's the new windshield you swapped in? Inquiring minds are eager to know!

I ordered it on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FXW3DSQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have not tried it out yet. I will be doing that today. A friend recommended it.

Edited by dave_wells

I wish you luck but I doubt it is going to be any better. I would recommend that everybody wait just a bit. I've contacted Clearview and they are making a windshield for our bike. I don't want a shorter one, but a wider one. That seems to be what helps the most.

I wish you luck but I doubt it is going to be any better. I would recommend that everybody wait just a bit. I've contacted Clearview and they are making a windshield for our bike. I don't want a shorter one, but a wider one. That seems to be what helps the most.

I am trying to stay positive.

We will find out later if it helps. If not it goes back

Dave, on my past 3 Yamaha bikes, the widest and tallest Clearview with vent did the trick for my lady as far as buffeting. Got rid of most of it...making her ride far more comfortable. Hoping this continues for the Gen 3.

That's been my experience as well and I think the width had more to do with it than the height. My stock height is fine. I can look over it when all the way down and through it when all the way up. The extra width is what I'm waiting for.

As for the windshield. We gave it a 150 mile test on Saturday.

We rode at varied speeds up to 75 mph

Windshield was in both up and down positions. Robin did notice the some buffeting in the lower position. She had no complaints in the full up position.

I even noticed with the Windshield down, I did not get a face full of wind.

Chasing Semi's we did not feel as much wind riding directly behind along with trailing one lane over. Passing along side was smoother than with the stock shield

I do agree that a wider windshield can add may add to the resolution

I am 5 ft - 10 in tall

I do prefer to look over the windshield. with this lower screen in the full up position it sits around nose height. when fall comes I may decide to put the stock one back on.

Don did mention a shield in development. I will be curious to see the results. we may just end up with that

For now we are both pleased with the results.

Enjoying our new ride

I am new to this bike also, i have 300 miles on mine and as far as the heat problem goes i took off the mufflers with the cats in them and installed my old CVO harley stock mufflers so this thing could breathe and the heat is almost all gone now, 90 degrees out and it was a pleasure to ride today...

got a set of the lower wind wings and installed them, they work great..now i have to re-install my stock mufflers and take it back to yamaha,, oil leak, bad!!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Dave I noticed the hot seat immediately after purchasing the bike. I was able to reduce the heat by adding two layers of heat shield adhesive that I got from Amazon. The left leg still gets hot from the exhaust tube.

I did my first cold weather ride on the SVTC. It was 28°. I really loved the heated grips and seat. However, I have to adjust the low setting and set the heat for low and mid temps. The grips were just right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--

When I first got mine, I just felt the seat was too hot all the time even though the control said off. I disconnected the wire to the seat as I will never probably want the seat hot and haven't had any heat problem in that area since.

--

Reading everyone’s pros and cons I am hearing the same pros and cons I wrote about in my ultimatemotorcycling.com ride report. But all of you that have the new venture, when the temperature is just right and you are not using the gps for tight navigation isn’t it a GREAT RIDING EXPERIENCE ?

The twisties are light and controlled, low speeds handling two up is safe and comfortable, the freeway cruising is stable. The acceleration ( once you learn where the rev limiter is) is awesome.

FYI I am 5’10” and experienced no buffeting at all windshield heights. My wife is 5’4” and when she was on pillion she didn’t experience any either. You might want to look at your helmet design. I was wearing a scorpion exo 900 modular and my wife an older hjc 3/4 with a full flip down full shield. ( my buddy who rides a Harley night train had always been buffetted using a 1/2 or 3/4. I gave him my scorpion to use on an iron butt ride and he had ZERO head Buffett. No change except the helmet. Think about it.

Too bad they didn’t give us a chance to evaluate the prototype to give Yamaha input on the cons before they came out with it.

I’d like to hear about that oil leak. What was it about?

VentureFar...

Of most of the reviews and talking to a few folks that have them and do some trips. I think one of the biggest disappointment is the GPS. With the improvements Indian, HD and the likes have made with infotainment and integration of GPS etc it's kind of a bummer.

• 1 month later...

Howdy folks

Just reached 400 miles on my 2018 TC Venture. Got one off the lot couple hundred miles from me was on pretty good discount .

I too have noticed some things with the bike and settings. Definitely appreciate the heated seat and grips rode her home couple hundred miles from the dealership in the rain and 37 degree temps.

Grips need getting used to and seat can get too warm will be adjusting the "low setting" down from 3 to maybe 1.

Curious about the wider windscreen as the original does give some buffeting also is the height setting adjustable , seems that the settings screen allows them but the buttons on the tank over ride the adjustment? The power curve is great and just getting used to belt drive and where the rev limiter is. I do hope the send out a software push for the GPS would be nice to save way points like my old Zumo had.Looking to figure comms with this bike , I am used to being tethered however Bluetooth sounds like it would have a advantage of no cord dragging on the tank....

Of most of the reviews and talking to a few folks that have them and do some trips. I think one of the biggest disappointment is the GPS. With the improvements Indian, HD and the likes have made with infotainment and integration of GPS etc it's kind of a bummer.

I personally have not used the GPS system on the SVTC, but I will try to get an answer from a good friend who works as a Field Service Advisor / East Region for Yamaha. The next time I see him, I’ll try to get any information I can get regarding the infotainment system especially the GPS.

Howdy folks

Just reached 400 miles on my 2018 TC Venture. Got one off the lot couple hundred miles from me was on pretty good discount .

I too have noticed some things with the bike and settings. Definitely appreciate the heated seat and grips rode her home couple hundred miles from the dealership in the rain and 37 degree temps.

Grips need getting used to and seat can get too warm will be adjusting the "low setting" down from 3 to maybe 1.

Curious about the wider windscreen as the original does give some buffeting also is the height setting adjustable , seems that the settings screen allows them but the buttons on the tank over ride the adjustment? The power curve is great and just getting used to belt drive and where the rev limiter is. I do hope the send out a software push for the GPS would be nice to save way points like my old Zumo had.Looking to figure comms with this bike , I am used to being tethered however Bluetooth sounds like it would have a advantage of no cord dragging on the tank....

Congrats on your new SVTC and I know exactly about the heated seat setting. It can get very toasty, if the set point is high. I think I have mine on 5 and I usually use the lowest setting even if it is 20° during the ride - it still gets warm. [emoji26]. I am closing in to 2K miles and have been enjoying every mile so far. [emoji3].