IGNORED

please help, what would you do?

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of points to note when I put frame back on engine. I had to tap a lot of the engine mount bolts as they were pretty corroded. Even with doing that, the rear bolts were tough to bolt on, probably due to not lining up perfectly. I did use Randy's solid mounts too. From what I've read, this improves handling but will have a little more vibration so there's a trade off there. I believe later models went solid mounts anyway.

Correcting the valve clearance with the engine standing alone was a breeze. I highly recommend getting a kit ( I used skydocs) as it speeds things up having the right tools and shims right at your fingertips.

The rest of the build should be pretty straightforward. Chow 4 now.

That's awesome. Good luck!

Yeah May have to hall a couple to my step dads house temporarily, I love these bikes. I have gotten lucky so far as far as work on them. No motor pulled yet but i definately want to get there 2nd gears fixed, If i get them I may do that. But will be doing compression test and using the best one. Will strip all wiring out too that should take care of about 400lbs on the bike. Probably use a different tank more like a fuel cell... Want to take it way of Vmaxed build with quad exhaust. Thanks for posting, I do a search once in a while i dont know why it didnt pull up before.

Yeah May have to hall a couple to my step dads house temporarily, I love these bikes. I have gotten lucky so far as far as work on them. No motor pulled yet but i definately want to get there 2nd gears fixed, If i get them I may do that. But will be doing compression test and using the best one. Will strip all wiring out too that should take care of about 400lbs on the bike. Probably use a different tank more like a fuel cell... Want to take it way of Vmaxed build with quad exhaust. Thanks for posting, I do a search once in a while i dont know why it didnt pull up before.

Take pics of when you get them. For me that's the best part !!

Okay, I bought new copper exhaust gaskets and fitted the little rear exhaust, tightened down the special clamps and everything is snug inside the clamps , however the exhaust is not. I realize that once I get the rest of the exhaust hooked up, this smaller exhaust will stay put but it's not sealed. Any suggestions? Permatex copper gasket sealer?

image.jpg

Yes sir, Grind the dog ears off the side where the clamp comes together! neat little trick these lop eared varmits have suggested somewhere. That bushing I may have 6 good one not sure.... um I Just finished unloading all the parts and bikes. I Have pictures of them all on the trailer.

Yes sir, Grind the dog ears off the side where the clamp comes together! neat little trick these lop eared varmits have suggested somewhere. That bushing I may have 6 good one not sure.... um I Just finished unloading all the parts and bikes. I Have pictures of them all on the trailer.

20190624_225025.jpg20190624_225019.jpg20190624_224958.jpg20190624_224942.jpg

Steering stem bearings are shot! Allballs on the way along with rear master cylinder rebuild kit and new fuel petcock! Sticking with original rear monoshock which still holds air! Still need to order new tires, sparkplug caps and wire. I do keep all my receipts, just hit $800 in parts.

Steering stem bearings are shot! Allballs on the way along with rear master cylinder rebuild kit and new fuel petcock! Sticking with original rear monoshock which still holds air! Still need to order new tires, sparkplug caps and wire. I do keep all my receipts, just hit $800 in parts.

Is that counting the frame? I think its time to start burning receipts!! I don't even want to know what I have in Tinker! LOL but started out with her costing $1,250.00!

Is that counting the frame? I think its time to start burning receipts!! I don't even want to know what I have in Tinker! LOL but started out with her costing $1,250.00!

I prefer to live by The Code and not keep receipts around when it comes to motorcycle fun (or buying shooters/ammo/fishing stuff/toys for the grandkids too) as doing so seems to invite auditing by Tip when I do which can result in times of deep darkness visiting Pucland.. I do know that little things can quickly add up to big dollars fairly fast though but it sure is fun when you ride off on the finished product and watch in the rear view as the Lady has that great big :big-grin-emoticon: on her face after CTFW for 30 days of 16 hours per day of amazing adVenture with no stops for repairs :missingtooth:

Just completed steering bearings. This was a first for me and here are a few things I noted. If u look at the lower race , yamaha actually has two slots in which you can use a long punch to tap it out. The upper does not and I had to very carefully dremmel that one out. Also, I used the old races to tap in the new ones but before that, I had the new ones in the freezer for a couple of hrs. I also had to make a slotted socket to torque the lower stem nut but to only 6nm. The next stem but is hand tightened and then u place the special lock washer on. I'm waiting to torque final nut after I put forks back on. Again my first time rebuilding steering head but it wasn't too bad. Next up , rebuild rear master cylinder.

image.jpg

Rear master cylinder is done. Definitely needed it. Here a pic of the new parts that were about to go in! Next up , probably mono shock then gas tank. My new petcock came in but I guess they don't come with a little turn knob!! Will have to try to track one down.

IMG_3074.jpg

Rear master cylinder is done. Definitely needed it. Here a pic of the new parts that were about to go in! Next up , probably mono shock then gas tank. My new petcock came in but I guess they don't come with a little turn knob!! Will have to try to track one down.

What do you mean turn knob? they are just a square you turn with a wrench. Also did your rebuild kit not come with the new master cylinder Piston?