IGNORED

Considering trading my '83 in on an '89 Pros and Cons?

luvmy40

I have a possible trade in the works. My '83 standard and a Smith & Wesson 1911R for a very nice looking(in the pictures) red '89 Royale.

I have put a lot of time and money into making my '83 mechanically and electrically sound and safe. I just finished delinking and rebuilding the entire brake and clutch hydraulics with Skydoc_17's SS delinking kit. I just installed progressive front springs and the Ignitech programable CDI not to mention the many, many hours and $ spent on the carbs a couple years ago. My plastics are in what could only be described as sorry shape. but they are complete and all original.

The advantages that I see in the MK2 are:

Increased stowage volume.

Upgraded stator

No possibility of frame breaking

No possibility of losing 2nd gear at some point

Plastics appear to be in much better shape

The cons in my mind are:

Luggage is not easily removable

Still has factory linked brakes with original rubber lines

still has original CDI(maybe not a real issue)

What are your thoughts?

IMHO, include on the cons:

1. Will need updated Progressive springs in forks if not done.

2. Will need diaphrams in carbs if not done and eventually need float valves.

3. Like you mentioned, if you are a long distance rider going thru multiple rear tires you spoon on yourself = the ease of removing furniture on the 83 to swap tires will be greatly missed.

Ya know,, thinking this thru,,, I think your onto a good move 40,, these 83's are getting older by the day and the concerns you share about the frame/2nd gear/stator and even the 83's plastic water pump impellar and electrical stuff are real.. Also considering how much easier it is to find parts for the multi year MK2's if you ever needed em while out CTFW, yeah,, I'd probably do it... And then I would pick up a cheap ratted out 83 with a decent back side set of glass and make a conversion on the MK2 back to the clamshells for ease and speed of tire swaps.. Besides,, I love the looks of the smaller bags but that's just me..

Only real con I see is you'll be riding a slower bike if you go from a MK1 to a MK2 :stirthepot::stickpoke::witch_brew::hihi: (saw that comin didnt cha? :big-grin-emoticon:)

Well Puc, the owner of the '89 claims to have had the carbs "professionally" rebuilt with new floats and diaphragms a couple years ago. No idea on the fork springs but they're not mentioned so I'd wager they are OEM.

Well Puc, the owner of the '89 claims to have had the carbs "professionally" rebuilt with new floats and diaphragms a couple years ago. No idea on the fork springs but they're not mentioned so I'd wager they are OEM.

WAYYYYY COOL!! Ya might pop a lid on a carb and check a diaphram to see if looks new just to verify if he dont have receipts but indeed = THAT is awesome!! As far as the Progressives go, same deal, pull a spring a see = if not, drop in a set,, their cheap and as you know,, easy peasy to swap out = personally, I wouldnt wait on that one,, if she's riding on Ink Pen OEM's = fork rebuilds with new seals are in the future IMHO..

Still not to see pics 40.. Would LOVE to see it!:thumbsup:

By the way,, what's the value on the shooter your swappin?

I paid over $900.00 for it about 12 years ago. It's the original S&W SS Railed 5" 1911

I think the E series are going for about $750 these days so I'd realistically price it around $600 unless there is some collectible value that I am unaware of.

Here's a link to the CL listing(I know!)

https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mcy/d/louisville-1300-yamaha-venture/6882582250.html

One thing that concerns me is the pictures appear to be of 3 different but similar bikes. I hope they are just pictures in time lapse, so to speak over the life of the bike. Obviously, I will test ride and inspect before closing the deal.

I see the acc thru the pics but that could be he or someone added over time?? But truly she is a good looking ride, tho likely not as fast the blue;)

My only gripe with mine was getting the front end to behave more along my riding demands. You may recall my posts on it some years back... But in both of the ones I set up I found that a stiffer spring brought the ride to life. Finding that compromise tho wasn't quick for me. Also I have to mention that she performed much better in the high winds we get here after cutting down the windscreen! To each his own of course. Personally I think the fork brace while not complained about, just not enough of it for my peace of mind so I kept an eye on it.

The harness plugs all needed TLC and the fuse box changed...

Now mine sat for years before coming home and her compression was allover the place, worth checking should you decide to call her yours.

Now I know most won't agree with me here but I kept her lean and only fattened a bit on the last trip we took cause that year was hot and so much of my ride was slow construction and, once we pulled off after a hot slow afternoon I called it.... Remember there's a lot of mass and a big rad... I recorded my pipe temps at some point but by memory at the cuplink 235 to 260 ish that's in the shop fan running putting thru her scales. I'll share this too, I step my touring tuning for my riding notes, my finals for tuning are always based on dividing cruising rpm and hammer down, which in short means I'm tuning at high rpm not at idle! Doing that gave me performance, how I do it is keeping my tuning tools hooked up while running the scale.... Remember that these vacuum slides delay so tuning like a direct link slide isn't as crisp but nor does it dump when we hammer, so lean is more fruitful! The slide springs are a beneficial tweak point, (I used no shims) if you go there then you'll need more then one set to ring it out. Anyway you just need to trust the mass and coolant system...

Yep its a big deal changing the rear tire but my Cade was/is much worse, I had to back in 07 at a motel

trip 013.jpg

There is a slight ratio difference between the MKI and MKII. IIRC 5th gear is a little leggier on the superslab, but verify before taking my word.

I found out that these bikes can be incredibly photogenic. So much so that I crossed 2 states to buy a nice minty one that turned out to be a dumpster fire. I would put eyes on the other one before agonizing over it too much. These things can be money pits, if yours is known good and solid, and it works for you then you may be taking a chance on having to sink a bunch more cash into the new one. Sounds like you have already addressed some MKI deficiencies, so unless you really need that extra baggage space, not sure how much of an upgrade it would be, aside from the info already put out here.

I wont lie, that luggage space is pretty nice when I take off for days at a time.

IMHO, include on the cons:

1. Will need updated Progressive springs in forks if not done.

2. Will need diaphrams in carbs if not done and eventually need float valves.

3. Like you mentioned, if you are a long distance rider going thru multiple rear tires you spoon on yourself = the ease of removing furniture on the 83 to swap tires will be greatly missed.

Ya know,, thinking this thru,,, I think your onto a good move 40,, these 83's are getting older by the day and the concerns you share about the frame/2nd gear/stator and even the 83's plastic water pump impellar and electrical stuff are real.. Also considering how much easier it is to find parts for the multi year MK2's if you ever needed em while out CTFW, yeah,, I'd probably do it... And then I would pick up a cheap ratted out 83 with a decent back side set of glass and make a conversion on the MK2 back to the clamshells for ease and speed of tire swaps.. Besides,, I love the looks of the smaller bags but that's just me..

Only real con I see is you'll be riding a slower bike if you go from a MK1 to a MK2 :stirthepot::stickpoke::witch_brew::hihi: (saw that comin didnt cha? :big-grin-emoticon:)

Hey Puc. Where is the best place a lopp-eared varmit suposed to find them pro-gresuv sprungs at?:think:

Just ordered them. I have the dreaded front end clunk when hitting frost heaves or pot holes. I'm checking the stem bearings tomorrow, but I'm sure these springs will help.
My 90 VR had that clunk when crossing the curb bump onto my driveway. Greasing and setting the head bearings fixed it.

I paid over $900.00 for it about 12 years ago. It's the original S&W SS Railed 5" 1911

I think the E series are going for about $750 these days so I'd realistically price it around $600 unless there is some collectible value that I am unaware of.

Here's a link to the CL listing(I know!)

https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mcy/d/louisville-1300-yamaha-venture/6882582250.html

One thing that concerns me is the pictures appear to be of 3 different but similar bikes. I hope they are just pictures in time lapse, so to speak over the life of the bike. Obviously, I will test ride and inspect before closing the deal.

Yep,, look er over good before you seal the deal 40. I see what your talking about concerning the differences in photos.. I would xtra suspicious and double check things like rotor wear and tear = 28k miles they should look in top shape. I know you have been around this stuff for a good while too and are aware of the constant need to add and subtract bling and thing that a LOT of bikers like to do. Its not bad or wrong, its just part of our world.. Consider that when your looking at it and dont forget,, if it is obvious this falls into that group,,, to ask for any extras laying around that they go with the deal = never hurts to inquire!!

If its as nice/clean as it looks,, I think a 600 dollar shooter + an 83 with a never accomplished 2nd gear issue repair for a clean later model would be a good deal.. :thumbsup:

Best wishes as you pursue this puppy! Hope it all works out!:fingers-crossed-emo

My wife keeps reminding me of all the time and money I have into The Beast. I keep thinking about all the blood sweat and cursing I put into bringing her back to life from the barely running heap she was when I got her.

I still think the '89 will be the better bike for us in the long run. I dread the day that I go out to put The Beast up on the center stand and find the frame is broken. Not to mention the almost certainty of second gear going bye-bye eventually. I ride my bikes every day, whether permitting and I don't consider rain or cold as limiting factors. Only ice and snow keeps me off 2 wheels. I would really like to start taking longer tips with the wife and the extra stowage and amenities of the MK2 Royale seem like a good upgrade to me.

I will have to buy another delinking brake kit from Skydoc_17. I will have to buy another set of progressive springs. I will have to tear down the top end to check the valves and inspect the carbs. I always plan for the fact that the battery will more than likely need replaced when I buy a used bike. I also plan on new tires for the same reason.

I hope that all of that can wait. At least till this upcoming down season.

Are there any MK2 specific issues I need to look for?

I see at least one wiki type page that states the factory spec for fuel economy was only 29 mpg on the 1300. Is that true? the 1200 was rated at 42 mpg. The best I've ever gotten is 36 mpg.

That's something I'll have to deal with eventually either way in this case. As well as the feeble factory starter clutch. The beast is starting to show signs of the starter clutch problem. Every once in a while I get that rock tumbler grind when starting. Not every time and only a split second when she doesn't grab and kick over right away.

WOWZY WOW WOW WOW:178:,, I know pics can be deceiving and there is nothing like getting to see it IRL BUT brother THAT looks great! I think if I were in your shoes I would request a good clear closeup of the starter button on the right grip. If the scoot is actually a 128000 mile piece the lettering on the starter button will show wear (unless someone went to the extreme of replacing it but that would be highly unlikely IMHO) but yeah,, that looks great.

The only glaring design flaw that I can think of at the moment is the 2 brush starter that was used in all 83 thru about 90.

I'll second this. When the motor is hot sometimes you get the dreaded starter stall and have to release the button and reengage.