IGNORED

1St Gen - That pesky tiny oil leak

Quick question, when taking off the side cover #2 , was there a small brass washer on the bottom bolt? Reason I ask is that there is one there. The bottom bolt can be use to drain the oil out of the transmission and from the look of the Kickstand safety switch, there appears to be some oil on that. More so then anything else I see in the pictures.

I dont see much evidence of any major oil leaks on this side of the bike. The stator wires look clean to me and I wouldnt expect them to be your leak and everything else look reasonably clean.

Good luck with the search as I am interested in what you find as I need to check out my 89 also..

Rick F.

Unless you did a lot of nice cleaning under those stator wires, they don't look to be an issue, below them though are the position sensor wires, looks like they are ok, but can't really tell from the pictures.

Good job all around, carry on.

Quick question, when taking off the side cover #2 , was there a small brass washer on the bottom bolt? Reason I ask is that there is one there. The bottom bolt can be use to drain the oil out of the transmission and from the look of the Kickstand safety switch, there appears to be some oil on that. More so then anything else I see in the pictures.

I dont see much evidence of any major oil leaks on this side of the bike. The stator wires look clean to me and I wouldnt expect them to be your leak and everything else look reasonably clean.

Good luck with the search as I am interested in what you find as I need to check out my 89 also..

Rick F.

Yes, Rick...there was the small brass washer under the bottom bolt. I bought a new one and will replace it when she goes back together.

What bothers me was the leak was small...but after trips back and forth to Phoenix at 75 mph (2.5 hours), the bottom of the bike on the left side as well as the left muffler would get oil on it. So the high speed was pushing oil out. I would clean area and go for a ride but when home...the whole area would be wet. On the ground after an hour there would be one drop about the size of a quarter. Weird cause I was expecting more on the ground. Regardless, I'm thinking the neutral switch was the leak. It may leak again as it's getting old and that plastic is probably ready to crack. I'll be looking for another switch here just in case...

Thanks for the thoughts...

Unless you did a lot of nice cleaning under those stator wires, they don't look to be an issue, below them though are the position sensor wires, looks like they are ok, but can't really tell from the pictures.

Good job all around, carry on.

Thanks Carl....once the garage warms up a bit I'll go back out and get back to work....32 degrees this morning. Nice!

Edited by videoarizona
add

Once again,, I LOVE your write up here VAz = VERY well done my friend!! I think that write up should be filed in the read only tech section under "looking for leak" or something - GOOD JOB brother!! :thumbsup:

The pic looking toward the mountains brought :95: of joy to my eyes,, I really really really wanna go up there and ride/camp/ride/camp/ride/camp and so on and so forth = mostly riding and camping:173:..

Also,, I have a hunch that that staining on your left side cover may be rodent pee.. I have seen similar before.. Might not be a bad idea to pull your air filter and check for a mouse subdivision being built... Those little critters dont always apply for a building permit so sometimes its best to check and make sure they aint doing something illegal..

Glad all worked out with the filter housing:missingtooth:

What bothers me was the leak was small...but after trips back and forth to Phoenix at 75 mph (2.5 hours), the bottom of the bike on the left side as well as the left muffler would get oil on it. So the high speed was pushing oil out.

I'm sure you know better, but I have to throw this out. Are you sure your oil wasn't overfilled at the last change?? If the level was higher than halfway up the site glass with the bike level high speed would push the oil out of the engine, usually into the air cleaner, where the excess will drip out of the overflow tube...

I'm sure you know better, but I have to throw this out. Are you sure your oil wasn't overfilled at the last change?? If the level was higher than halfway up the site glass with the bike level high speed would push the oil out of the engine, usually into the air cleaner, where the excess will drip out of the overflow tube...

I wish!

Seriously, but no....sigh.

Well events in life have changed again...so much for plan A...:bang head:

The lady says she needs to get back to Phoenix tomorrow (Friday), so I'm putting her (scoot, not Old Lady!) together this afternoon. Took a long time to get the air out of the clutch lines before any fluid made it down to the slave. She pumped up quick after that. No leaks in clutch. But think I may be replacing the master soon as the relief hole keeps getting plugged and I've drained, flushed and replaced to many times. I rebuilt the master sent to me by cowpuc...so it should be ready to go. I know...I should be doing this now, but need to take the tools with me to Phoenix and don't want to leave the old girl naked and apart while I'm gone. Besides, I like working on these scoots...so doing the master again is good experience. That's my story anyway!!:beer:

Now I'll go put some oil in and see if she fires up and leaks....

The oil filter O ring around the bolt leaks. So much for Fram putting in the correct O ring. I'll deal with this when I get back in town...

Clutch and area around slave is dry after a 5 minute run. So far so good...

Now back to your regularly scheduled life!

Bartender, set em up for the gang...on me...:beer:....

I had the same issue with a replacement Fram oil filter also. I was just thinking it was a bad 0-ring but I guess it is the wrong one if you had the issue also. I just ended up reusing the one I pulled off as I didnt have a new one on hand to replace it and when I checked, no oil leaks there.

Rick F.

• 3 weeks later...

After 2 runs in 2 days, she still leaks. About 260 miles.

I'll run her back home after I do some work on the RSV.

I need the RSV back up to phoenix by the 6th as we are making a run on the 7th up Schnebly Hill to Prescott. Then 260 to Pine and Payson... Then back to Phoenix. Be a long day but nice if weather cooperates!

I'm going to go ahead and check what I did last week, then take stator cover off and clean/ goop both sets of wires. Plus see if I can get to the shift shaft that is under the final drive bearing.

Probably should have done this before but my plans got changed for me....I don't like being rushed on a project..... But that's the breaks with an Admiral!

I'm going to go ahead and check what I did last week, then take stator cover off and clean/ goop both sets of wires.
Slide the grommet along the wires a bit, spray wires and grommet with brake clean. Let it dry then goop and slide the grommet back. Make sure the grommet channel is cleaned of old goop and put a thin layer in there too.

• 5 weeks later...

UPDATE:

OK..back home in GV. Went for a nice fast ride yesterday to stir up the dye in the oil...

Took cover 2 off this morning to look for the pesky leak....nothing. No dye visible on the stator wires, the neutral switch assembly, the clutch slave assembly or the shift shaft.

General view looking into the area....BTW, WalMart has the UV flashlight, $10 in the fishing department, it's a small Ray O Vac uses 3 AAA batts and is bright. It will go in my road tool kit for sure. Good for bugs and such as well.

20180419_103431.jpg

Shift shaft area is clean as well.....

20180419_103456.jpg

I turned off all the lights in the garage and looked all over the motor. From the valve covers down...including everything in between. The oil/water "twinkie" area between the cylinders is dry as well. One drop of oil was seen under the rubber cover that covers the U-Joint...but I think that came from oil running back. That area is to far back since my drip is right under the area where the slave/stator wires/neutral switch/shift shaft are.

Even under the motor...the pan area...is clean. No green dye seen.

So...where do I go looking now? I would appreciate any ideas....

Nowhere!! If your light dont show no leaks your all done!!!:thumbsup: Put the covers back on er and go find more gorgeous Kodak moments for us out on the open road ya lop eared varmint!! :big-grin-emoticon:

:think:,,, sneaking down from a seep at the starter:confused24:? Got any oil collecting in the air box that may be working down or a hole in a crankcase breather line?

Nowhere!! If your light dont show no leaks your all done!!!:thumbsup: Put the covers back on er and go find more gorgeous Kodak moments for us out on the open road ya lop eared varmint!! :big-grin-emoticon:

:think:,,, sneaking down from a seep at the starter:confused24:? Got any oil collecting in the air box that may be working down or a hole in a crankcase breather line?

LOL!

Nope didn't see any oil escaping from the starter area. Not overfull either...in fact I'm a tad low as I didn't finish the filling after the oil change a few weeks ago...

Wish I was done with this leak...but I'll find it....or someone here will....Grins!

Just for grins. Point your UV flashlight at the oil sight glass and/or look into the oil fill hole to be sure that the dye is really mixed and doing its thing.

Is it possible that you no longer have a leak but there is still oil that leaked before still finding its way out of the nooks and crannies?

I agree with @cowpuc, more open road testing and picture taking is required. Jump on that thing and head somewhere.

Just for grins. Point your UV flashlight at the oil sight glass and/or look into the oil fill hole to be sure that the dye is really mixed and doing its thing.

Avi

Is it possible that you no longer have a leak but there is still oil that leaked before still finding its way out of the nooks and crannies?

I agree with cowpuc, more open road testing and picture taking is required. Jump on that thing and head somewhere.

:lightbulb:,, Vaz could rent a vacuum pump and suck a bunch of Arizona heat in a big tank with wheels on it.. Hook that onto the bike and North by North East.... Avoiding the bottom of Lake Michigan and coming up the east lake shore of such (dont go near Flyinfool with that cargo - he will sneak up on it and drain it off so it cant be used) - make your way up the west side of Michigan while dispersing just enough of Arizona along the way to thaw things out.. Come into North Muskegon, find my Balloon on the members map and head my way.... I have a unloading spot just for cargo like you will be hauling PLUS = even though its to early for a regular Puc's MGnEM - I am sure I can scam up enough odds n ends to make it worth your while Vaz!!!!!!!!!!!

Just suck up TONS of :225: and head this way!!!!!!!

We can check that oil leak once ya get here too but really,,,,,,,, Tweeksis don't mind sharing her litter box if needed......

I would ride it more and then in a week or so, double check for the leak again and see if anything shows or wait till you see something on the ground under the bike.

How did the oil look with the UV light when you looked in the sight glass at the oil?

This kind of leak can drive you crazy trying to locate and solve it.

Good luck

Rick F.

I would ride it more and then in a week or so, double check for the leak again and see if anything shows or wait till you see something on the ground under the bike.

How did the oil look with the UV light when you looked in the sight glass at the oil?

Good luck

Rick F.

Mine appears like its leaking from oil pan and all that's been replaced. Its starting to tee me off...

Never ride faster then your angel can fly. I am as free as the wind on my face.

Good luck

Rick F.

The dye definitely got into all the oil. It drained out a bit when I took off the cover. Look at the green tint from the UV light reflecting off the dye.

20180420_093154.jpg

Can even see it on the cover that I haven't cleaned yet...in the upper left corner of the cover there is still oil there....

20180420_093227.jpg

I have a feeling I'm going to have to live with it for a while, though I do get tired of the drops on the floor. She marks her spot now, every time I shut her off after a ride.

Grrrr...

:bang head:

Jeff, it's not leaking that much...just a few drops after a ride.

I cleaned the floor last month after I did an oil change on both Ventures....so any oil on there is new stuff from the leak.

It's back together....will try to get some riding in this weekend. Maybe a couple of hundred more miles will help me find the leak! Yay...Ride!

Saturday Update:

Went for my morning breakfast ride to Rio Rico. I do like that little diner.

On the way back, stopped in some familiar places...

20180421_094123.jpg on a 2 lane outside of Tubac... 2 views...behind and in front of me...

20180421_094112.jpg

The Presidio at Tubac...

20180421_095135.jpg

20180421_095158.jpg

And then home.....this is after about 30 minutes after motor shut off....

20180421_115037.jpg

So you can see the size of the drips and the location. 3 drops on the rear most sheet of paper. The front sheet is a stain from previous fun...

I did a preliminary search again near the front of the motor...and along both sides. Nothing.

Tomorrow I'll take her apart again...and with lights out...search for the elusive oil leak...

Edited by videoarizona
clarify

You need to do the UV oil leak search while it is still hot from the ride. If you wait a day the oil can drain off the area of the leak enough that there will not be enough dye left at the leak to be visible under the UV light.

Now you need to go out for ANOTHER ride and more pics...................