IGNORED

Did you go to Sturgis this year - 2020 ?

VentureFar

If you did, did you come down with Covid?

I just read a report that " as many as 250,000" contracted Covid from Sturgis.

First, I hope not.

Second that would have been 1 out of 2 people attending.

This is not a political discussion. I am just wondering if YOU went, did you avoid Covid or did you get it?

Thanks for sharing.

VentureFar...

I'm skeptical of that analysis.

Think it isn't half of people attending got covid-19. They are likely saying x number of people picked it up at Sturgis, then brought it back home and infected others.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

I'm skeptical of that analysis.

Think it isn't half of people attending got covid-19. They are likely saying x number of people picked it up at Sturgis, then brought it back home and infected others.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

I am skeptical of the large number but picking up and carrying it back home IS "getting" it, just asymptomatic carrier.

Again, I am just curious about our group, not trolling for a fight.

VentureFar...

Didn't go to Sturgis but:

I'ts always possible, but keep in mind that a recent report from the NY Times claims that something like 70% of the positive tests for COVID19 are false positives due to the amplification process used in the most widely used test. Sure those people had the COVID19 virus present in their systems but in such small amounts that they could not have been contagious or have any symptoms.

After thinking about it; It seems likely that the claim of 1 in 2 at Sturgis picking up the virus might not just be possible but maybe even likely.

Friend went with his wife. Obviously they live together and traveled together. They both came home with a minor cold but they went from dry and dusty to hail while they were out there. She suffers from seasonal allergies and assumed nothing but got tested anyways. She's positive, he's negative.

Have been following this and think their assessment may be flawed. Sounds like they tracked cell phone locations of those that went and crossed that to areas that have recent flare-ups. They then go on to blame the flare-up on the folks coming back from Sturgis. Would be interested to see a similar study tracking location data for those that are protesting/rioting to see if there's a similar correlation.

This study IMHO is flawed, their data collection is a bit south of scientific methodology. One thing I will say is that we ARE in a pandemic, and Sturgis attendees should have had no pretense of safety or social distancing. I can absolutely believe it was possible, even likely, that many thousands of folks contracted the virus here, or on the way here/back. Nothing else would make a lot of sense given the exponential nature of viral spread. Anyone hitting a crowded event like this should expect to be exposed to the Gift-O-Wuhan. No other expectation is realistic.

I'm in favor of adults making their own decisions based on assessing their own/family risk factors. Come and party, fine with me. Those at risk should never come to a rally, but if your young and healthy enough to survive a common flu and dont live with gramma/grampa, come on and party! Go to work/school! Go get laid! life will have to go on for those with low risk factors. I care for an elder so I wear a mask in stores and stay out of crowds/avoid town. Easy for me, believe it!

Before tourist season we had 5-10 cases/day, now it's well into the hundreds/day. We knew tourist season would do that, it's the only possible result of everyone coming here. This state survives on tourist/rally dollars, and no person in charge here is going to put human lives ahead of money. Am I just being a dick, yea, probably, but still read this, does this sound like putting human lives ahead of money? :happy65:

https://www.kotatv.com/2020/09/09/amid-virus-surge-noem-pushes-tourism-with-cares-act-funds/

I didn't go to Sturgis and probably will never make it to that place in my lifetime. I'm not just on that level. At any rate, it is always possible to contract COVID-19 from the area with large gatherings almost everywhere. However, the data and information that I read may or may not be accurate. Too many fake news out there, so I have to do my own assignment and dig for the facts. If people ever test positive, the right thing to do is to quarantine yourself and your close contacts. We are still in the midst of a pandemic.

I didn't go to Sturgis and probably will never make it to that place in my lifetime. I'm not just on that level. At any rate, it is always possible to contract COVID-19 from the area with large gatherings almost everywhere. However, the data and information that I read may or may not be accurate. Too many fake news out there, so I have to do my own assignment and dig for the facts. If people ever test positive, the right thing to do is to quarantine yourself and your close contacts. We are still in the midst of a pandemic.

It is only 1600 miles from you to Sturgis. It is a great adventure and worth putting on the bucket list.

VentureFar...

So not sure which "news" story to believe. Most of the ones I read a few weeks back all claimed " Sturgis crowds down 250k expected" Now if you believe them everybody got it. All the pictures make it look very crowded. But no matter how many showed up, everyone crowds to the same spots. Very few wearing masks, 10 feet tall and bulletproof I suppose. Anyway crowded spots are not a good idea even in flu season. But everyone want their own "freedom" to do what they want. And thats fine until it causes someone else grief, then they aren't making a decision just about them.

So not sure which "news" story to believe. Most of the ones I read a few weeks back all claimed " Sturgis crowds down 250k expected" Now if you believe them everybody got it. All the pictures make it look very crowded. But no matter how many showed up, everyone crowds to the same spots. Very few wearing masks, 10 feet tall and bulletproof I suppose. Anyway crowded spots are not a good idea even in flu season. But everyone want their own "freedom" to do what they want. And thats fine until it causes someone else grief, then they aren't making a decision just about them.

Their updated estimated number of attendees this year was in the neighborhood of 460 - 500k-ish.

Fundamentally I agree with you completely. It is quite inconsiderate and dangerous.

Unfortunately I find that it is incumbent upon us to take all measures to protect ourselves. We have to assume that everyone has it, as quite a few do and not all of them will do the right thing. A significant number those have it probably no idea they are infected, maybe they care, maybe not. It's all on us, please folks don't count on your fellow man to do the right thing.

The consistency of C19 I think is most disturbing and telling's of mankind today.

We often praise our abilities to be empathetic towards one another and yet we stumble thru the most basic of conversation around this one topic. Consistently demonstrating more apathy on the subject verses the risk of balancing and absorbing possible positive potential shaping of differing opinions.

The whole topic is off the rails regardless of medium; the simplest of questions cause us to dig foxholes, why is this?

In an age of so much information we instead of growing, appear to be retracting.

I am numbed by the amount of "fake news" comments as an explanation point to every broadcast disagreement, aren't you.

I can help you pickup your fallen over bike but, I will not share opinion on the risk of doing so because: it is political or, will be. nuts right

I am numbed by the amount of "fake news" comments as an explanation point to every broadcast disagreement, aren't you.

I can help you pickup your fallen over bike but, I will not share opinion on the risk of doing so because: it is political or, will be. nuts right

No matter where you are in the world....when someone helps another pick up their bike, does it matter if the bike is leaning to the left or right? Hmmmmm

I tend to follow a wide range of news from Canada, U.S., and the U.K. The numbers are only those that have been tested, there are more untested people wandering the streets - with any test they aren't perfect and some have shown to lean toward giving a positive result, others more to the negative. I practice social distancing and glad that work has put in overkill measures to keep us safe. Here...everyone wears masks in stores and public places without complaining of our rights as an individual. It's the new norm and protects everyone.

Here too for masks. Unlike SARS I know a different story, the flack we receive over the simplest of conversations regarding C19 is concerning in my experience.

Way too many headline conversations verses "you don't say" conversations.I get that we have better things to do, the headlines really don't appeal much now, day in day out the same LP skipping over and over, seems like we have just stalled out, but we haven't, at all; there is progress and as man will be man we will overcome anything else is unacceptable. We are all on one side or at least should be, so simple easy conversations needn't lead to labeling.

I struggled with my english in the first post, I hope it read as intended and not single out anyone

One of my big struggles/complaints on the whole thing is the inconsistency. One week its "warm weather will knock this down" Now that summer is over and cases are still climbing they switch some other narrative. Then they say "wear a face cover" Any covering will at least knock down the "unseen enemy" Then hear a few weeks later oh the gators are worse than nothing. Really? Now some are on the rampage of the mask with the valve not preventing it. Grrrrr The VA just sent an email out saying you can not wear the valve masks to their facilities.

One of my big struggles/complaints on the whole thing is the inconsistency. One week its "warm weather will knock this down" Now that summer is over and cases are still climbing they switch some other narrative. Then they say "wear a face cover" Any covering will at least knock down the "unseen enemy" Then hear a few weeks later oh the gators are worse than nothing. Really? Now some are on the rampage of the mask with the valve not preventing it. Grrrrr The VA just sent an email out saying you can not wear the valve masks to their facilities.

FYI gators slice the droplets because they are so porous. Valve masks send your own breath straight out into the air. The whole purpose of masks is to protect the OTHER GUY from you.

just saying but not trying to start a mask war. Just curious how many people got Covid from sturgis.

VentureFar...

Edited by VentureFar

Ones I see valves are on side. But back to Sturgis. Wonder how many cases of just plain ole flu were spread there and they count it as the bug c-19. Some how money has to be attched to cases or else they wouldnt be trying to connect every death whether gunshot, traffic accident or medical to it.

I don't see any way to find out how many cases were really trafficked through Sturgis, safe to say a helluva lot. Not many here trust our administrative officials enough to allow them to track us through an app, in fact that is laughable at best that anyone counting on voluntary tracking got anywhere near the truth. It wont be much time before an official in SD comes up with a study saying that 12 people were infected in Sturgis, and 5 more on the way back, or some such absurd thing.

Whatever local authorities insist upon here will automatically cause many to do the opposite (right or wrong) without thinking anything of it. Defiance first, common sense later, maybe. We need more defiance than we have, but it has to be tempered with not stepping on the rights/safety of others.

I own being a bubbling seething cauldron of white-hot defiance, but like many I'm trying to balance safety with non-optional stuff like earning. Panic-inducing headlines about grave milestones and hordes of dead globally do not help those trying to understand the true scope of the issue and do the right thing. This media frenzy is just a bit more evidence that journalistic integrity left the building right behind Elvis. As in any crisis, cooler heads prevail, widespread panic or complete disregard is terrible for everyone.

My understanding is, if you come down with the symptoms and you get tested and, test positive for C-19 they ask a series of questions regarding exposure.

In a case such as we are discussing the answer would likely be "yes I was at a rally" which one? Then eventually the CDC will have somewhat of an accounting of who caught what where....

And: as of today they have a new term for this type of viral transmission/catching "Herd Mentality" now like many of you, that surprised me, and of course I thought it was "fake news" but nope I saw with my own eyes a news clip and is what that very highly educated VIP that claims constantly "I know the very best people" said!

NO worries Eh ;)

Last i read a couple days ago, the cdc said they traced less then 300 people that got c19 and 1 death. Stop reading the b.s. on social media.

This forum is as close to social media as I get so I have no idea what sort of disproportionate leading information is on FB, twitter, SC, Google, Fox, CNN or other garbage sources. I can only imagine the nonsense flows like fine wine there on the best of days haha.

One thing we know is news outlets are not missing this opportunity to monetize on all the hysterics. :yikes: Clicks = $$$$. I would prefer that they keep calm, inform and educate folks, but the waters sure get murkier once a crisis becomes politicized. At this point it becomes an unreasonable expectation that one could gain perspective and become properly informed on this issue by watching just about any news outlet today.

I'm actually a little surprised (apprehensive) that the CDC were able to conclusively trace ~300. It is important, IMHO, to draw a distinction between CDC traceable cases and actual likely transmissions. That CDC number must still be pushed through a BIG magnifier to cover all those that contracted it and didn't know, didn't care, didn't report. I would not want the job of trying to trace cases from this mess of tourists that come from all over. 300 could be easily exposed by one single contagious person huffing, puffing and pushing their way through the crowds for a day or two. It's just that most that get it wont be too effected, or for too long. It's just not that big of a deal to most without the risk factors, so most of us can indeed calm down now.

I'm not trying to muddy your point, I very much agree with the spirit of your post, but the distinction between CDC traceable numbers and actual potential infections should not be disregarded.

This forum is as close to social media as I get so I have no idea what sort of disproportionate leading information is on FB, twitter, SC, Google, Fox, CNN or other garbage sources. I can only imagine the nonsense flows like fine wine there on the best of days haha.

One thing we know is news outlets are not missing this opportunity to monetize on all the hysterics. :yikes: Clicks = $$$$. I would prefer that they keep calm, inform and educate folks, but the waters sure get murkier once a crisis becomes politicized. At this point it becomes an unreasonable expectation that one could gain perspective and become properly informed on this issue by watching just about any news outlet today.

I'm actually a little surprised (apprehensive) that the CDC were able to conclusively trace ~300. It is important, IMHO, to draw a distinction between CDC traceable cases and actual likely transmissions. That CDC number must still be pushed through a BIG magnifier to cover all those that contracted it and didn't know, didn't care, didn't report. I would not want the job of trying to trace cases from this mess of tourists that come from all over. 300 could be easily exposed by one single contagious person huffing, puffing and pushing their way through the crowds for a day or two. It's just that most that get it wont be too effected, or for too long. It's just not that big of a deal to most without the risk factors, so most of us can indeed calm down now.

I'm not trying to muddy your point, I very much agree with the spirit of your post, but the distinction between CDC traceable numbers and actual potential infections should not be disregarded.

As soon as the media (and politicians) started reporting and blowing things out of proportion, it went downhill very fast.

Early on it was portrayed "as the end of life as we know it" and "everyone over a certain age was going to die". Actually had people say that to me and my wife.

The ones "in charge" are still claiming that they are "following the science", but in reality that is far from the actual truth of the matter.

Since I live in Pennsylvania I will use that as an example.

Total Population: 12,802,000 (Estimated by by Census Bureau as of July 1, 2019)

Total Covid-19 Positive Tests: 145,000 As of 9-14-20 Reported by PA Dept of Health (Will not start a debate about whether or not testing is valid just using their reported numbers)

Total Reported Deaths Attributed to Covid-19: 7,800 As of 9-14-20 Reported by PA Dept of Health(Again, will not debate accuracy of this number, just using their reported numbers)

Percentage of Reported Deaths to Reported Positive Tests as of 9-14-20: 5.4% (Calculated from above numbers)

Percentage of Covid-19 Deaths to Total Population: 0.061% (Calculated from above numbers)

Add to this the US information as of today from the US Census Bureau and CDC website.

Total US Pop: 330,301,742

Total US Case Covid-19: 6,537,627

Total US Deaths Covid-19: 194,092

Deaths as a percentage of Total Cases: 2.97%

Deaths as a percentage of Total Pop: 0.0589%

And at least in Pennsylvania the vast majority of deaths have occurred in nursing homes and like facilities.

And this is were our Governor and State Secretary of Health were sending known cases.

Remember we were told that there would be 250K deaths by summer. Didn't happened.

And yet again we are being told that there is a "Second Wave" coming this fall with another 250k of deaths.

Naturally, the more testing that is being done, the more cases that are being reported.

We are also inundated with the total number of deaths, and again I am not going to debate the accuracy of those numbers.

The simple fact that is not being reported is that the percentage of deaths compared to the total cases and the total population is continuing to drop.

And that percentage is in line with what it would be from just the ordinary flu.

We must get away from the fear and the how we think / feel basis of decisions and policy and get back to a normal way of life based upon the truth.

The number one instrument that is being used to drive the current narrative is the face mask.

The ultimate goal, and I believe that there is at least one, is that of control.

I encourage everyone, not just residents of Pennsylvania, to check out the open letter to the Commonwealth of PA at https://americanpastorsnetwork.net/restorethelaw/

The resolution can be viewed here: https://americanpastorsnetwork.net/a-resolution/

Argo

Edited by Argo
Spelling

Well I read the complete ............... and c and all in the name of God too.

Those obligations and duties include the responsibilities

To initiate, according to the laws of this Commonwealth, the impeachment and removal of both the governor and the justices of the Supreme Court who acted in concert with the governor in his continued and unlawful violations of the laws of this Commonwealth and of the Constitution of Pennsylvania and of the Constitution of the United States, and

To issue a concurrent resolution of the House and Senate declaring the decision of the Supreme Court justices acting on King’s Bench authority in declaring the lawful action of the General Assembly, as contained in House Resolution 836, to be null, void, and without authority, and

To inform the citizens of the Commonwealth of the serious detrimental nature in which the governor and the executive branch have operated in league with the Supreme Court justices, and

I was looking for a song for this thread it took me longer than expected; then I had to choose a version that I thought might bring some pause to us!

I guess that isn't likely now but here's the song