IGNORED

Shinko 777 Tires

I have decided to replace my worn out Dunlops with Shinko 777 tires. Please note, NOT the Shinko 230 Series tires that wear out if you ride them around the block.

I went with the Shinko 777 tire front and rear based upon: Pricing, availability, load range, and expected mileage.

I ordered the tires from J&P Cycles. When they arrived I noticed these were the freshest tires I have ever bought for my car ,truck, or bike. The front Shinko 777 was made the 13 week of 2015 and the rear Shinko 777 was made the 15 week of 2015. It is now July, so that means that these tires are just 3 months old.

ShinkoFrontTireMFGdate.jpg ShinkoRearTireMFGDate.jpg

I like the way the Shinko 777 tires look.

ShinkoFrontTireMounted.jpg ShinkoRearTireMounted.jpg

I am sure that all tires ride well when new, but these Shinko 777 tires ride really well and have a "soft" ride as compared to the Dunlop 404's. The Shinko 777's seem "stickier" as well. As the result of changing two variables, new tires and going to a 130/90-16 front tire, or as a result of one or the other, the front end is now much lighter and the bike corners easier. So much so that I am over doing it, and I have to remember to calm down and not lean so hard to make the same turns I used to. Parking lot maneuvers don't take as much muscle either. Straight line 80mph stability with the Shinko 777 tires is still the same as it was with the Dunlop 404's, which is to say excellent.

Here is a chart showing the differences between the Shinko 777 tires and the Dunlop 404 tires that were previously on the bike.

MtireCompare.pdf

I have Shinko 777 WW on my bike. Used them for varying reasons. Have used them before. While they perform well, I didn't get as many miles from them as I do some of the more expensive tires such as Michelin. But, I wanted to try WW and went with 777 because I have had experience with them before and for the price.

11233801_10203904571763831_2582734277792452710_n.jpg

I have a pair of the 230 tourmasters on mine now. The rear is close to done. I too ordered a 777. I like the tread patter as it crosses the centerline of the tire so when riding in the rain the water has some place to go. The load rating is very good also. Which has been upgraded since last time I bought tires a year or so ago. I like the 130 front also and will go back to one next time the front get changed out.

I had the Michelin Commander 2 in the 130 front. Rant them over 17k. Loved them. First day I took the bike for a ride with the OEM size 230 Shinkos on it was like relearning to ride this thing all over again. It seemed really lazy trying to get into a round about and turning out onto the highway from the subdivision. Turning into like a street or parking lot to the right on more of a 90 degree wasn't a big deal. But by the 30 mph or so gradual corner was a shock how lazy truning in the 150 was.

I had the Michelin Commander 2 in the 130 front. Rant them over 17k. Loved them. First day I took the bike for a ride with the OEM size 230 Shinkos on it was like relearning to ride this thing all over again. It seemed really lazy trying to get into a round about and turning out onto the highway from the subdivision. Turning into like a street or parking lot to the right on more of a 90 degree wasn't a big deal. But by the 30 mph or so gradual corner was a shock how lazy truning in the 150 was.

My front is the 130. It seems much lighter handling at slow speeds than the 150. I have had the Michelin tire before. Sold the bike before I got very many miles on it, but was supposed to be a great wearing tire. The last Shinko tires I owned were on a VStar. Back wore out at 9k, which is close to being right for a VStar. Front was on it when I sold it at 10k+ and looked not even half worn.

I will say, the 230 I am running now is not going to get near the milage I got out of the MC2. Right now I think its about 8k or so and can probably get another 1000 out of it or so. Just running it out until I need to change.

I have the 777s on my 1st gen, it did well in the rainy north, Colorado mountains, Utah/arizona desert, and dry flat land when it stopped raining in Nebraska. that was just my first two days with my new tires. I will be getting a set for my 2nd gen next year when I get back home.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 9000 miles on the bike now, 500 miles on the Shinko 777 Series tires.

Odometer.jpg

I am liking these tires very much. They are confidence inspiring and Stick-E. I have less than 3/4 inch wide Chicken Strips,

ChickenStrip.jpg

And I can scrape the floorboards at will.

Floorboard.jpg

These tires also ride smoother than did the Dunlop 404's when they were new.

Side note:

I believe the bike is finally broken in now. The engine is quieter and smoother. The mirrors are crystal clear.

Mirror.jpg

At any speed.

Spedo.jpg

Dang, that was fast. Monday I ordered the front tire. Yesterday I ordered the back tire. In less than 20 hours the back tire was at my house. Waiting on the brakes, front tire and ordered Ride On from ebay. It was cheaper there than any other place I could find. I was debating between that or dyna beads. I liked the puncture protection.

• 1 year later...

I also had just replaced by 3rd set of Rear Bridgestone for a new Shinko 777 HD. I liked the tire and I think it will hold up well on my Venture. Already put in 200 miles and I am happy with the feel of the ride. I shall update you guys as to how the tire performs in the long term.

Edited by N3FOL

I'm interested in running these. I ran Shinko's on my KLR and really liked them. I won a set of 230's through the AMA Long Rider program, but I only got 6K miles out of the rear before it had to be replaced. What kind of mileage are you guys getting out of the 777?

Sam

I'm interested in running these. I ran Shinko's on my KLR and really liked them. I won a set of 230's through the AMA Long Rider program, but I only got 6K miles out of the rear before it had to be replaced. What kind of mileage are you guys getting out of the 777?

Sam

I have almost 10,000 miles on the rear and have about half tread left. The front has about 7,000 and still looks new. I am very happy with the handling and high speed stability. I think I'm going to stick with these. They are inexpensive and IMO just as good as the E3.

Sam

I am getting 8000 miles out of them in the rear but I run heavy, fast, and in hot weather. I replace them when the wear bar still has a little tread on top of it. I don't run them to the cords. I like them because they are very sticky and don't sing to you when making high speed turns and they have a nice ride.

Side benefit is that they are distributed by Western Power Sports to every dealer and online store. I got the same price from my local dealer as the best I could find with an online store. This helps build a relationship with dealer if tires ever go south.

I just got another set in. These Shinko 777 tires are consistently the freshest brand tires I have ever bought. The DOT date on the rear is 4216. It is now March. These tires are about 3 months from being pulled out of the mold.DotDate.jpgShinko777label.jpg

Edited by Du-Rron

The 230 has a softer compound I think. The 777 is more for heavier bikes, so should work well for you. Also from the research I was doing last month they are also what they call "reinforced" so may have more plys. Overall I think they are a good buy. I like the tread pattern on the 777 also.

I'm running E3 bias ply now. They seem to be doing really well but I do notice the growling in the corners. I run my tire pressure at 40 in the rear and 35 in the front. I've looked at 777 a couple times, but wanted to hear other fellow RSV owners opinions before I laid down the money. Especially after running the 230's. I'm glad four this thread!

I have almost 10,000 miles on the rear and have about half tread left. The front has about 7,000 and still looks new. I am very happy with the handling and high speed stability. I think I'm going to stick with these. They are inexpensive and IMO just as good as the E3.

Thanks for the update on your 777. I really think that I will be able to get at least close to 15K miles on my rear Shinko 777.