IGNORED

Dangerous wobble at 55mph and above.

Hello everyone I am new on the forum and I truly need some help. I purchased a 2005 RSTD about 4 months ago and still haven’t been able to enjoy this wonderful bike. When I ride above 55 the motorcycle starts to swing for left to right. It’s not just the front it feels the whole bike is on a Seesaw and the front feels like it’s real light. If I ride fast it gets worst and I might lose control. This is what I have done replaced front and rear rim with new tires on both. Had them both balanced. I have tightened the head bolt by the triple tree. Jacked up the bike front feels there is no play. One thing I do notice is the front and rear suspension does not hold air on the shocks and my bike feels Like it’s not sturdy. I round from NYC to SC driving 55mph took longer by made it back ok but worried. I am long distance rider and I am really looking forward to enjoying this bike can anyone assess me with figuring this out thanks.

Lots to think about. I'm far from an expert but I'd check the forks for proper oil, find out where the air goes, you mentioned tightening the head-too tight will cause wobble. Then I'd go to the swingarm and check the bearings and alignment there.

I also have a 2005 RSTD and I run my forks and rear shock with no air with the exception of traveling. Loosing air in your forks and shock is a problem but shouldn't cause the wobble. Couple of things to think about:

brand of tires, of coarse air pressure. But I think I'd check the swingarm bearings. I do know that the REAR tire pressure matters as far as wobble goes.

Bearings too loose and you will get a wobble that can go to a tank slapper.

Bearings too tight and the bike will want to do it's own thing seemingly, actually what happens is that the bike will no longer have it's own built-in 'come back to straight' because the drag on the steering head overcomes it.

Did you know that a 2 wheel bike, left on it's own devices, actually will stay up straight and go straight forward as long as there is drive on the rear wheel?

Pretty much impossible to demonstrate, but there have been occasions where it has happened. So if you get the steering too tight (which also acts as a steering damper of sorts) the bike will be restricted to self correct and come back to center. This will cause a wandering and a feeling of lost control for the rider.

You've had lots of good advice. Just about anything with the steering, front and rear suspension or tires can cause it.

I had one Royal Stare where the rider complained of wobble at freeway speed. Neither her husband or I had a problem with it. After going over everything else I disassembled the steering and greased it with high impact grease rather than the lithium soap grease Yamaha specifies. Her problem went away.

The first and easiest thing though is try it without the windshield. I've seen windshields cause a wobble problem.

You answered some of my questions with the tire/wheel change. I use to run my RSV with no air in front forks after a fluid change to one step heavier. How about wheel bearings? Where they changed with the wheels? What brand/type tires are on it ? Some have more of a tendency to track.